PDA

View Full Version : Please help: Serious problem with my computer

nismodrifter
12-07-2003, 06:33 AM
having problems with my good pc for the THIRD time this week (1st - hit with a virus, 2nd - browsser hijacked , 3rd - read on...)

my pc was working fine now for hte last 2 days. I was just playing nfs underground when all of a sudden I got a BSOD (blue screen error...) which flashed onto my screen and my computer restarted.

I didn't think much of it....

so the pc restarted and it brings me to the menu which lets me choose from Safe mode/safe mode with networking/last working config/normal startup

first I tried normal startup: hit enter, the pc restarted again for some reason (wtf...) and back to same menu screen

2nd try: tried last known workiing config, pc restarted again (wtf again...) back to same menu screen

3rd try: got into safe mode, checked around on somethings, just make sure nothing weird is up....all looks normal, I restart and it takes me back to the menu screen. I choose NORMAL startup......windows loads and I ALMOST get to the desktop. It froze before actually loading my desktop et.c.. and all I have is a black screen with the cursor on it (which dooes not move...)

anbybody know whats up?

UPDATE: SHIT!!!! PC WON'T EVEN POWER UP ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!! HIT POWER BUTTON AND NOTHING HAPPENS !!!WHAT COULD BE WRONG?????

I have no idea of what could have went wrong.....it was workiing perfectly fine all day and everything, nothing happeniing weird at all. Then all of a sudden this happens :(

I hope computer rack will take care of this if its a serious hardware issue.....bought this system less than a year ago

Khyron
12-07-2003, 11:58 AM
If it doesn't even power on, something blew (hopefully power supply cause that's cheap).

If it tries to boot, fried/corrupt HD.

Khyron

JohnnyBlaze
12-07-2003, 12:00 PM
try resetting the cmos

nismodrifter
12-07-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
If it doesn't even power on, something blew (hopefully power supply cause that's cheap).

If it tries to boot, fried/corrupt HD.

Khyron

it will NOT even start up now......hit power button....nothing happens

I could get into safe mode for wiindows 1 time, and then it only messed up again when I tried to get back into normal mode (pc froze, I turned it off and then it would not turn back on again..)

I am not really good with such a serious problem like this, don't know what to troubleshoot etc..

I also guessing power supply and if thats so I am taking it back to computer rack........

The only thing that I don't understand is that first the problem was bad (wouldn't get into windows....would restart evertime) and then within 30 seconds the problem got even worse (machine won't turn on at all....) are these 2 problems related in some way or is it just coincidence that the happened like right after each other...

nismodrifter
12-07-2003, 02:20 PM
took it to computer rack.....checked out the power suppy and it works fine......they say it's 99.9% either motherboard or cpu is gone (i pray to god nothing happened to the HD duriing all of this...)

both motherboard and cpu are covered by warranty (said the cpu will only not be covered if it is found to be like completely melted or something extreme like that)

damn I hate computers.........

I completely guessed that something else would happen to my pc this week in the thread I posted previously.....fortunately I did not act on what I said I would do if another problem happened this week (which was that I would chuck the damn pc out the window :D )

hampstor
12-08-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
took it to computer rack.....checked out the power suppy and it works fine......they say it's 99.9% either motherboard or cpu is gone (i pray to god nothing happened to the HD duriing all of this...)

both motherboard and cpu are covered by warranty (said the cpu will only not be covered if it is found to be like completely melted or something extreme like that)

damn I hate computers.........

I completely guessed that something else would happen to my pc this week in the thread I posted previously.....fortunately I did not act on what I said I would do if another problem happened this week (which was that I would chuck the damn pc out the window :D )

sorry to hear man. Unfortunately it could be anything on your system... I hope you made backups!! I would pinpoint on motherboard and maybe memory. If you have an AMD cpu, then maybe the processor. However, if you have an Intel CPU... the odds of getting a bad one are very slim!! (I see maybe.. 5 bad intel cpu's in a year).

btw, out of curiousity I am wondering if you could tell me what the turnaround time is for their service. I have heard things from customers who I see, but I wanted to know how you felt about their warranty/service dept.

Sai
12-08-2003, 09:54 AM
hmmm i have had ur "power" problem wouldn't start up even if i pushed the power. ( i have custom made comp ) after 1 hour b/c i thought it got too hot or something i just got pissed and boot fu*cked the POS and it started up and things were normal hahah!

goold old fasion fixing!

but for ur blue screen / restarting i think my friend has the same problem its a worm called....W32.HLLW.Studd

DeSi
12-08-2003, 09:58 AM
yeah i had that problem, might be the fan

nismodrifter
12-08-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by hampstor

sorry to hear man. Unfortunately it could be anything on your system... I hope you made backups!! I would pinpoint on motherboard and maybe memory. If you have an AMD cpu, then maybe the processor. However, if you have an Intel CPU... the odds of getting a bad one are very slim!! (I see maybe.. 5 bad intel cpu's in a year).

btw, out of curiousity I am wondering if you could tell me what the turnaround time is for their service. I have heard things from customers who I see, but I wanted to know how you felt about their warranty/service dept.

hampstor: I am running an amd cpu on that pc....I am thinking the mobo went because at one time it turned on for like 20 seconds but no "BEEP" came when starting up......then it just turned off again

I'll be sure to update you on their service. So far I have only dealt with them in purchasing stuff.....no problems at all there. Pretty good people to deal with IMO. As for service...I'll get back to you as good people can sometimes act like idiots when it comes time to fix something

nismodrifter
12-08-2003, 04:56 PM
final verdict: motherboard is gone.....has been sent out for repair/replacement by manufacturer and computer rack says I should have the pc back by Wednesday or Thursday

if they can stick to that deadline I'll give them 3 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BigBearWest
12-08-2003, 05:27 PM
Man computer rack is a joke they screwed me over big time. i will never reccomend them to any one ever again.

nismodrifter
12-08-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by BigBearWest
Man computer rack is a joke they screwed me over big time. i will never reccomend them to any one ever again.

so far so good for me....I'll have to wait and see though....maybe in a few days I will agree with your opinion. I don't think ANY businesses service quality can be generalized by the experience of one customer though.....I just hope that whatever happened to you to make you have that opinion does not happen to me....
So far from dealing with them over like the past 4-5 years I have had much better success with them than their competitor down the street....and I hope it stays that way..

hampstor
12-10-2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

So far from dealing with them over like the past 4-5 years I have had much better success with them than their competitor down the street....and I hope it stays that way..

sorry to hear you had a bad experience at ME.. may I ask what happened?

What motherboard failed on you? If they can RMA it in 5 days then WOW! !!I do not know of any distributor that RMA's boards in 5 days. They usually take like 3 weeks!

nismodrifter
12-11-2003, 06:43 PM
and here's an update for all of you guys:

As promised....I recieved the pc back today (Thursday) which means it was repaired within 3 days. I dropped it off on Sunday morning, motherboard was shipped out monday, new one arrived yesterday, and pc was ready for pickup today.

And as said I before, computer rack now earns 3 thumbs up :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

now....after studying.....gonna have to play some nfs underground :D :D :D