PDA

View Full Version : vodka connoisseurs

urban.one
04-08-2010, 08:30 AM
In the favorite drinks thread there seemed to be a lot of fans.
Its one of my favorites as well and Ive tasted many a brand over the years. I wont name my favorite brand at this point though its in the lower/mid price tier.

Heres a few articles I thought Id share. Vodka snobs can be an amusing bunch.

Does Premium Vodka's Taste Live Up to Its Price Tag?
20/20's Cocktail Taste Test Leads to Some Surprising Results
By ANN VARNEY and BILL RITTER
May 24, 2007 —

Are you a vodka snob? Do you routinely buy a pricey brand over a less expensive one? If so, you're part of a growing trend. "20/20" wanted to see what all the fuss was about & so we conducted a little test.

It's 6:30 p.m. in New York City's Times Square, typically happy hour, but not for our six subjects, who were all part of a little experiment conducted in the summer of 2005. The participants ranged in age from 21 to 40 years old, the prime cocktail-drinking demographic.

The laboratory was a popular restaurant and bar called Blue Fin. But instead of beakers and petri dishes, the chemicals we tested were found inside bottles -- six vodka bottles.

Why Vodka Is King
Why was vodka the drink of choice for our subjects? One participant, Trevor Freeland, responded, "It's simple, it pleases a lot of people." Michael Gurock added: "I never feel like I have a bad hangover the next day whenever I have vodka." And Melanie Weber said she chose it because "it can be mixed with a lot of different juices."

If you've been to a bar recently, you know that once lowly vodka  invented on the cheap in Russia  is now the most popular hard liquor in America, comprising 27 percent of total volume in 2006, easily outselling rum, gin, whiskey and tequila.

What's most striking about vodka's rise is the huge sales of so-called super-premium brands, up 38 percent in the past year. You'll know them by their remarkable bottles (one -- Wyborowa -- is designed by architect Frank Gehry) and by their even more remarkable prices: $30 to $60 and upward a bottle, up to four times the price of cheaper brands like Smirnoff, which sells for $13 a bottle.

Taste test participant Karen Kay told us she can perceive differences among brands. "With the lower-end vodkas I think I really taste a difference in the drink, like an aftertaste, almost," she said.

What are their favorite brands? Weber preferred Ketel One. Freeland liked Belvedere best. And the remaining four favored Grey Goose.

From 007 to Carrie Bradshaw
Vodka arrived in the United States during World War II, but didn't start really gaining popularity until the 1960s, thanks in part to James Bond. It was 007 in the 1962 movie "Dr. No" who started a trend: "One medium dried vodka martini, shaken, not stirred." Bond insisted his martinis be made with vodka, not gin.

The HBO television show "Sex and the City" propelled vodka to new heights with ubiquitous cosmopolitan cocktails. America's foremost mixologist Dale DeGroff (who tended bar at New York City's famous Rainbow Room) has made mixing cosmos into something of an art form.

"The cocktail is an icon," said DeGroff, "and the vodka cocktail is the top of the pyramid of that icon."

And no vodka brand has made a bigger splash than the $30 a bottle super-premium brand Grey Goose. A Grey Goose commercial says it is "rated the best-tasting vodka in the world."

A little strange, given that the U.S. government's definition of vodka, said DeGroff, is: "Tasteless, odorless, colorless & You are buying the bottle. You're buying the sexiness. You're buying the whole package."

The Taste Test
Which brings us back to our little experiment. Can people really tell the difference in taste between the expensive and cheaper vodkas? Our blind vodka taste tests were conducted by Eben Klemm, the director of cocktail development for B.R. Guest, a chain of upscale restaurants.

Klemm instructed the testers to "sniff through them first to sort of calibrate your nose a little bit."

The taste test included five super-premium vodkas (Ketel One, Belvedere, Hangar One, Stoli Elit and Grey Goose) and one economy brand (Smirnoff).

Most of the testers thought they would be able to recognize their favorite brands, which didn't surprise Klemm. "Everyone's a snob about their brands," he said. "I mean, they've built their whole nightlife identity on which brands they are -- whether they're a 'Belvedere man' or a 'Grey Goose woman.'"

The first test involved tasting the vodkas "neat," which means straight and at room temperature.

Kay thought vodka No. 1 tasted "very spicy. It burns the tongue." Gurock said vodka No. 2 "was very light, it went down beautifully." Gliksman thought vodka No. 3 "has a really nice aroma." And Glenn McGinness said, "I'm guessing that five is the Grey Goose."

After a half hour of sniffing and sipping, five of the six testers agreed on one thing: They all hated vodka No. 1.

Freeland described it as "kind of thick and not smooth at all. Something I would never ever buy." Kay called it her "least favorite one, for sure."

The Surprising Results
Finally, the moment of truth. Klemm revealed that vodka No. 1 -- the group's least favorite -- was Grey Goose. Everyone was flabbergasted.

"No way!!!" said Freeland.

"I can't believe that!" exclaimed Kay. "I mean I'm really very loyal to it. And I just totally dismissed it."

"I'm shocked," said Gliksman. "I really am shocked, because it was bad."

"I guess that says something about the marketing then, doesn't it?" said DeGroff. "They're not relying heavily on their taste buds. They're relying more heavily on the perceived value, or the status."

There wasn't a hands-down favorite vodka for the testers, but two did stand out: Hangar One at $35 a bottle and Belvedere at $32 a bottle.

Mixing It Up
What would happen if we added a mixer to the vodka test? What percentage of people prefer vodka as a mixed drink, rather than straight?

According to DeGroff, everybody drinks it mixed. "How many people do you know that drinks straight vodka? Very, very few," he said.

So we did a second test mixing the same six vodkas into cosmopolitans: 3 parts vodka; 1 part triple sec, lime juice, and cranberry juice.

Klemm told the testers, "I want you all to see whether you can pick out nuances."

It turns out that the testers had a tough time distinguishing between cosmos made with the $62 Stoli Elit and cosmos made with the $13 Smirnoff.

McGinness said that he "found them very similar," and wasn't able to pick out his beloved Grey Goose.

"The distinctions are not as & definitive," said Freeland. "They're not as obvious."

So will these test subjects change their drink of choice?

Kay said, "I'm going to be experimenting a lot at the bar next time I go, because I came in having one favorite, I chose a different one for the neat, and I chose another one for the cosmopolitan. So & I guess that means I'm not going to be as loyal to the brand as I used to be."

So, if you're looking to save some money the next time you saunter up to the bar, save a few bucks and order the house vodka instead of your favorite super-premium.

Copyright © 2010 ABC News Internet Ventures

Bloomberg BusinessWeek Business Exchange

Eating and Drinking May 23, 2008, 2:00PM EST text size: TT
World's Best Vodka? It's Anybody's Guess
Vodka's taste notes are so subtle that people make their choices based on bottle and label design, country of origin—and brand story
By David Kiley

French wine and spirits giant Pernod Ricard (PERP) recently acquired Swedens's Vin & Spirits for $8.9 billion, the lion's share of which was for the previously state-owned company's Absolut vodka brand. Meantime, Diageo (DEO) paid $900 million for half the worldwide distribution of Dutch vodka Ketel One. And Stolichnaya is looking for a new distribution partner since Pernod will have to give up its rights to the Russian vodka after its Absolut deal clears. Stoli rights could go for a few billion easy. Grey Goose sold for $2.2 billion in 2004.

I admit that when I see prices for vodka range from $8 per bottle for the lowly Popov to $60 for Gold Flakes Supreme, my bull-hockey antennae go up. Vodka is, as it says on the label, a "neutral spirit." There's no aging involved. No oak barrels. But then I am reminded that good branding counts in this world. The brand imagery, billions of dollars, and hype surrounding Grey Goose, Absolut, Ketel One, and of course even Trump Vodka, have all created very definite preferences for something that is meant to be odorless, colorless, and tasteless. If Perrier and Dasani can do it, why not vodka?

With spirits, especially vodka (because there is so little to distinguish one product from another), the design of the bottle and label is crucially important, along with the country of origin and "brand story." Each vodka I tasted had its own brand story that helps deliver the product as much as a lemon wedge or olive.

A Waste of Money?
For all the money that is changing hands over vodka these days, and a recession in full force that might prompt some drinkers to reevaluate how much thy are spending on spirits, I thought it a good time to take a fresh dive into the crowded world of vodka over the course of a few weeks to see which ones really do taste better, and if drinkers of branded vodka are full of good and discriminating taste or wasting their money.

Before we get to the tasting results, a few anecdotes: A friend of mine, Charles, says he knows his vodka. A confirmed martini drinker who favors Absolut, I had him test his palate. First, I had Charles sample, in a blind taste test, Absolut, Popov, Ketel One, Smirnoff, and Vox. I served them frozen, which, to me, is the best way to drink straight vodka. When asked to pick out Absolut, Charles actually chose Smirnoff. Next, for the martini test. We made martinis the way Charles likes them, with a half-shot of dry vermouth and two olives over ice made from distilled water. In this test, we made the drinks with Skyy, Absolut, Smirnoff, and Belvedere. Again, Charles got it wrong, choosing the martini made with Ketel One as his Absolut martini.

I then assembled three regular vodka drinkers who order by brand when they order at a bar or restaurant. One is a confirmed Ketel One drinker, one orders Grey Goose, and another orders drinks made with Belvedere if the bar has it. His back-up brand is Absolut.

This group orders everything from martinis to vodka and tonics to vodka and cranberry juice.

A Lucky Guess
First I served frozen shots to the group in a blind test. Grey Goose, Absolut, Belevedere, Ketel One, and Popov. One, the Ketel One drinker, successfully picked his brand out of the pack, but only after considerable angst and anguish, so much so that I made the group repeat the exercise. It seemed like he guessed and got lucky. In the second pass, none successfully picked their brand.

Next up was one-to-one mixtures of vodka and cranberry. To be cute, I made all the drinks with Popov. I told the panel that we hadn't changed the lineup of vodka brands.

"I like that," said one, who asked the brand of cranberry juice. By now, the panel of drinkers who thought themselves discerning imbibers were getting antsy, as though they were contestants on Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader and couldn't remember which planet is closest to the sun or who Ronald Reagan's Vice-President was.

Looking at the tasting cards of the group, it was plain to see they were guessing. There were a couple of right answers, but no one in this round said, "I think these are all the same."

Pure and Clear
It isn't surprising to find such results in a vodka taste test. The goal of vodka distilling, according to the spirits executives and distillers I have spoken with over the years, is to come up with a spirit that is as pure and clear as possible. The taste notes of vodkas can be so slight and subtle, most often depending on the grain used, and the number of times the spirit is distilled, that they really only exist when drunk straight with purified ice, at room temperature, served straight up or frozen straight up. Having drunk every brand of vodka we tested over the course of a few weeks, I can honestly say that drinking it frozen is by far the most pleasant way to drink straight vodka. In this, the Russians are right.

The other conclusion I drew was that when it comes to mixing vodka with fruit juice, or unpurified ice, you might as well as save your money and keep a bottle of Popov around. After mixing with fruit juice, muddled mint, simple syrup, or tap-water ice, the slight subtleties of the vodka in these concoctions go out the window faster than the promise of a contractor who says he'll come to your house every day to work until the job is done.

Check out the BusinessWeek.com slide show to see the results of the tasting when I brought my panel together a second time, participated myself, and had a neutral pourer administer the blind test. All these vodkas are unflavored and 80-proof. Prices reflect 750ml bottles. Price/Value was not a determining factor in judging the best "tasting" vodka, but we do make mention of it in some tasting notes.

©2010 Bloomberg L.P. All Rights Reserved.
close

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 26, 2005
SPIRITS OF THE TIMES
A Humble Old Label Ices Its Rivals
By ERIC ASIMOV

It was not exactly a victory for the underdog, but chalk it up as a triumph of the unexpected.

The idea for the Dining section's tasting panel was to sample a range of the new high-end unflavored vodkas that have come on the market in the last few years in their beautifully designed bottles and to compare them with a selection of established super-premium brands. To broaden the comparison, or possibly as a bit of mischief, our tasting coordinator, Bernard Kirsch, added to our blind tasting a bottle of Smirnoff, the single best-selling unflavored vodka in the United States, but a definite step down in status, marketing and bottle design.

After the 21 vodkas were sipped and the results compiled, the Smirnoff was our hands-down favorite.

Shocking? Perhaps. Delving into the world of vodka reveals a spirit unlike almost any other, with standards that make judging it substantially different from evaluating wine, beer, whiskey or even root beer. A malt whiskey should be distinctive, singular. The same goes for a Burgundy or a Belgian ale. But vodka? Vodka is measured by its purity, by an almost Platonic neutrality that makes tasting it more akin to tasting bottled waters, or snowflakes.

Yet in just a few decades vodka has become the most popular spirit in the country. It is now the default liquor in cocktails once made with gin, and with its glossy merchandising it has set a marketing standard for high-end spirits that the other liquors are all struggling to emulate. It's quite an achievement for something that the government defines as "neutral spirits, so distilled, or so treated after distillation with charcoal or other materials, as to be without distinctive character, aroma, taste or color."

A lack of distinctiveness is a separate matter from a lack of distinction. The vodkas we tasted had character and their own flavors and aromas, even though the differences among them were often subtle and difficult to articulate.

"I'm looking for interest," said Eben Klemm, a cocktail expert who joined me for the tasting, along with my colleagues Florence Fabricant and William L. Hamilton, who writes the Shaken and Stirred column for the Sunday Styles section. "Some were so unique that they stood out," he added, "while others were pure, simple and austere."

Mr. Klemm, whose heady title is director of cocktail development for B. R. Guest, a restaurant group that includes Dos Caminos, Fiamma and Vento in New York, found himself torn in two directions in assessing the vodkas. Because we tasted them straight, he judged them as solo beverages yet could not help extrapolating how they would taste in cocktails, which are overwhelmingly the vehicle for consuming vodka.

Mr. Hamilton, too, wondered whether his perceptions might change. "When deployed in mixed drinks, these slight flavor profiles that I enjoyed might cause trouble," he said.

Ms. Fabricant, on the other hand, dismissed such existential issues. "Go with the flow," she suggested, adding that the qualities she sought in the vodkas included elegance, neutrality and balance. "As a vodka drinker who likes vodka on the rocks, I picked out what I would want to drink," she said.

I'm not much of a vodka drinker myself, although I do like a good bloody mary. I prefer gin in classic gin drinks like martinis and gimlets that have largely evolved into vodka cocktails. But I appreciate the purity and depth of a fine vodka. Those I liked best were all smooth rather than harsh, and balanced and harmonious rather than burdened by alcoholic heat. They had a presence in the mouth that we sometimes referred to as texture or substance.

That being said, at the end of our tasting it was Smirnoff at the top of our list, ahead of many other names that are no doubt of higher status in stylish bars and lounges. Some of those names did not even make our Top 10. Grey Goose from France, one of the most popular vodkas, was felt to lack balance and seemed to have more than a touch of sweetness. Ketel One from the Netherlands, another top name, was felt to be routine and sharp, although Mr. Klemm did describe it as "a good mixer."

More than 300 vodkas are on the market now, and of course we could not taste them all. Notable brands that we omitted included Chopin, Finlandia, Rain and Tanqueray Sterling. But our tasting included 5 of the 10 best-selling unflavored vodkas in the United States and the 5 best-selling imported vodkas.

What set Smirnoff apart, we agreed, was its aromas and flavors, which we described as classic. Smirnoff of course has a long history. The company was founded in Russia in the 19th century, and after the Russian Revolution the family, then spelling its name Smirnov, left the country and eventually ended up in France. The brand, now owned by Diageo, was introduced in the United States in 1934 and eventually became the best-selling brand with the slogan "It will leave you breathless."

Perhaps our description of Smirnoff as classic was nostalgic, possibly a result of the imprinting of its flavors and aromas on our brains in some early quest through our parents' liquor cabinets. But its smooth neutrality and pleasing texture also won it points, and its success illustrates a vital truth about vodka.

Unlike most other spirits and certainly unlike beer and wine, vodka does not necessarily benefit from artisanal manufacturing. The bearded bumpkin who minds the barrels in the ad campaigns for bourbon has no place in the production of vodka. In fact most so-called vodka producers do not even distill their own spirits.

In the United States almost all vodka producers buy neutral spirits that have already been distilled from grain by one of several big Midwestern companies like Archer Daniels Midland. The neutral spirits, which are 95 percent alcohol or more, are trucked to the producers, where they are filtered, diluted and bottled. In our tasting only one brand, Teton Glacier Potato vodka, was distilled by the producer. Another producer, Hangar 1, distills a portion of its spirits and buys the rest.

What sets vodkas apart from one another are essentially the base ingredients used in the distillation and the water. Most spirits can be made only from certain prescribed ingredients, but vodka can be distilled from just about anything that can be fermented into alcohol: grains, vegetables, even fruits.

Our tasting included vodkas made from wheat, rye and potatoes, even a couple that used grapes. Hangar 1 is distilled partly from wheat and partly from viognier grapes, which perhaps lend the slight sweetness the panel detected. Possibly the combination results in a complexity, which we all liked. Another vodka, Cîroc Snap Frost from France, is distilled entirely from grapes, but we sensed a disjointedness in it that kept it off our list.

Like gin, vodka can be produced just about anywhere, and our tasting included four from the United States; four from Poland; three each from Russia, France and the Netherlands; and one apiece from Switzerland, Estonia, New Zealand and Sweden. Russia and Poland both claim to be the originators of vodka. None of the Russians made our list, but two of our Top 3 were from Poland. The Wyborowa, which comes in a striking bottle designed by the architect Frank Gehry, was elegant and mysterious and seemed to keep drawing us in. The Belvedere was exceptionally pure and smooth.

All four entries from the United States made the list. In addition to Smirnoff and Hangar 1 they were Skyy, which Ms. Fabricant suggested would be superb ice cold, and Teton Glacier Potato vodka, which seemed to conform to the government definition of tasteless and odorless.

While we chose to focus on unflavored vodkas those blended in the factory with flavorings like lemon, black pepper and even chocolate may be the fastest-growing category of all. Given the government definition of vodka, the success of such flavored vodkas may raise the philosophical question one day of exactly what constitutes a vodka.

The prices of these vodkas ranged from a low of $13 for the Smirnoff to a high of $34 for Potocki, a Polish vodka that did not make our cut. The Belvedere also cost $34, but that was for a liter rather than the usual 750 milliliter bottle. Imported vodkas tend to cost more, partly because of taxes levied by various governments, currency exchange rates and, not least, marketing concerns: as has been proved in many industries, wine not least of all, raising the price of a product increases its status among consumers.

Possibly with that in mind Stolichnaya has just introduced a new vodka, Elit, for $60 a bottle. Because Elit was not available in New York at our tasting, the panel did not sample it. Its marketers say it is "carefully crafted using a centuries-old Russian recipe and a revolutionary 'freeze filtration process.' " The bottle is certainly sleek. What's inside may be another matter.

Tasting Report: In the Best-Selling Category, a Best Seller Stands Out

BEST VALUE
Smirnoff United States Grain
80 proof
$13
Pure, clean and ultrasmooth, with pleasing texture and classic vodka aroma.

Wyborowa Poland Single Estate Rye
80 proof 1 liter
$30
Elegant and intriguing, with mild flavors and great persistence.

Belvedere Poland Rye
80 proof 1 liter
$34
Great smoothness and purity, with good texture and body.

Absolut Sweden Level Grain
80 proof
$24
** 1/2
Smooth and substantial, with flavors of flowers, lemon grass or nuts.

Hangar 1 United States Straight Wheat and Grain
80 proof
$30
** 1/2
Pleasing, with complex flavors and a suggestion of sweetness.

Vox Netherlands Wheat
80 proof
$23
** 1/2
Smooth and neutral, with savory flavors and a touch of alcoholic heat.

Olifant Netherlands Grain
80 proof 1 liter
$17
Subtle, yet rich and complex.

42 Below New Zealand Wheat
84 proof
$24
Straightforward, pure and smooth.

Skyy United States Grain
80 proof 1 liter
$16
Unusual flavors of mint and lime.

Teton Glacier United States Potato
80 proof 1 liter
$20
Clean and light on the palate; odorless and tasteless.

GQBalla
04-08-2010, 08:49 AM
meh, i like van goh espresso

300rwhp
04-08-2010, 09:10 AM
yay i love clear tasteless ethanol yay!

rage2
04-08-2010, 09:18 AM
I pretty much drink Vodka exclusively nowadays, and honestly if you're drinking a single, it's really hard to tell the difference between the brands when mixing. The difference is more apparent if you mix triples, or if you're drinking around your 10th drink. The "super premium" brands leave less aftertaste later into the night, compared to your typical brands. There's nothing worst than vodka burps from bad vodka haha.

ercchry
04-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Smirnoff is terrible, Grey Goose is nothing special though, i like stoli, cheap but much better then the rest of the cheap brands

dharminder
04-08-2010, 09:43 AM
not much for smirnoff, I perfer skyy stoli is not bad either and both are decent price of about $25 give or take

Hakkola
04-08-2010, 09:46 AM
I usually just drink Finnish vodka's because I'm patriotic, sometimes I'll spring for Grey Goose but straight it tastes like shit, it's probably the worst tasting Vodka I've had.

cdnsir
04-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Yea, Stoli is a great all around. But I usually need soda water to mix it. Goose and Belvedere tho... I seriously can't taste enough difference to justify their price.

For drinking straight, I have a thing for potato vodkas. It's really smooth with a hint of of sweetness that grains doesn't have. My personal favourite is Luksusowa. I keep a bottle in my freezer at all times for shots.

EDIT: Here's what it looks like. I can't find them in large grocery's liquor stores. But the smaller corner liquor stores usually carries them for some odd reason.

http://bi.gazeta.pl/im/0/5469/z5469500M.jpg

bignerd
04-08-2010, 04:43 PM
I agree Smirnoff, yuck! Not sure I would consider Belvedere a premium vodka, I thought it was fairly cheap?? One of my favourites though.

norbel
04-08-2010, 04:45 PM
all about the goose, goose, goose, goose.
god i love the goose

Eleanor
04-08-2010, 06:02 PM
I don't find Smirnoff that bad :dunno:

It's cheap too, and pretty much any of the flavoured ones go well with a Coke Zero :D

Grogador
04-08-2010, 06:16 PM
I go for anything cheap that's not nasty-ass Smirnoff. The Goose and Kettles and others don't really do it for me. Had no idea that Wyborowa was considered a "premium" brand altho it is quite delicious :D Definitely try the Ciroc (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%AEroc) sometime, it is really tasty, ice grape 5x distilled French vodkasauce.

Of course you gotta love the Polak potato:

Originally posted by cdnsir
http://bi.gazeta.pl/im/0/5469/z5469500M.jpg

bulaian
04-08-2010, 06:37 PM
i didn't know Wyborowa was considered "premium" either... i think i bought my last bottle of it from superstore for less than $25

LongCity
04-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Where do you find Ciroc anyways?

Grogador
04-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by LongCity

Duty-free :D

Xamim
04-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Wyborowa is one of the better cheap vodkas out there.

rage2
04-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Wyborowa has the cheap and expensive version. This is the good shit:

http://www.bienmanger.com/images/genre/2723-0w300h300_Wyborowa_Wyborowa_Exquisite_Vodka.jpg

Just bought 2 bottles about 30 mins ago. :D

I usually drink Grey Goose, but I agree it's pretty gross straight up. It's excellent for mixes.

I find Smirnoff the best of the cheap brands.

Ukyo8
04-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Been drinking Smirnoff for years :D

Grogador
04-08-2010, 09:54 PM
You guys don't think Smirkoff tastes a bit... salty?? Just... off...

wintonyk
04-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Personally I really like the potato vodka Chopin, very crisp clean flavour.

One of these with a little olive juice goes a long way as a martini. But I do love the van goh espresso vodka as well

civic_stylez
04-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Chopin shaken on ice is really good if you are drinking it straight. Belvedere is decent if mixing but id still take the GG. the cheapest poor mans vodka ill drink is skyy or polar ice if im really short on funds. vodka is the only hard alcohol i will drink. a nice vodka water lime or lime juice. No hangovers as you keep hydrating with the water mix :thumbsup:

Ghettobaby
04-09-2010, 01:34 PM
ciroc is so the shit. so smooth, warm or freezing it goes down like water. Really wish I could have brought more back.

ercchry
04-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by LongCity

Just grabbed a bottle from safeway liquor store on 130th... $43

BlackArcher101
04-09-2010, 11:06 PM
I just bought some Stoli Gold. Pretty good, but not worth the extra $10 or so.

Wrinkly
04-09-2010, 11:26 PM
Absolut

G-Suede
04-10-2010, 01:00 AM
Gotta love people that pretend to be vodka snobs and then get owned. Not sure how many times we've heard people espouse their undying love for Grey Goose and when in blind studies it gets described amongst the worst. Yeah, way to go - and Louis Vuitton isn't for victims either. :facepalm:

davidI
04-10-2010, 05:02 AM
I was drinking in Poland with a couple of hot Polish chicks who could really drink. Their fav vodka was Wyborowa for sure. I liked it too, although I need to be in a special mood to drink Vodka neat. Usually I'll do half water half vodka and a slice of lemon.

Anyways, the thing that impressed me most was that each of these tiny Polish gals polished off a quart (as in a quart each) of vodka and were still standing (one was actually working reception at the hostel while we drank). I'm a pretty big drinker and downing my quart over a few hours layed me out pretty good!

No threesome, though. :(

Integra10
04-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by davidI
I was drinking in Poland with a couple of hot Polish chicks who could really drink. Their fav vodka was Wyborowa for sure. I liked it too, although I need to be in a special mood to drink Vodka neat. Usually I'll do half water half vodka and a slice of lemon.

Anyways, the thing that impressed me most was that each of these tiny Polish gals polished off a quart (as in a quart each) of vodka and were still standing (one was actually working reception at the hostel while we drank). I'm a pretty big drinker and downing my quart over a few hours layed me out pretty good!

Sounds like a good time. Polish girls ftw.

On a side note has anyone tried that polar ice maple? I would like to try it but I'm kinda reluctant to try maple flavored alcohol.

Wrinkly
04-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by G-Suede
Gotta love people that pretend to be vodka snobs and then get owned. Not sure how many times we've heard people espouse their undying love for Grey Goose and when in blind studies it gets described amongst the worst. Yeah, way to go - and Louis Vuitton isn't for victims either. :facepalm:

:werd: I bought a bottle at christmas, curious about all the hype - I thought it was pretty rough. For mixing, there really doesn't seem to be much difference. May as well buy the cheaper stuff. As was said in the article, someone who drinks neat Vodka is a rare bird, indeed.

tobypaddock
04-10-2010, 03:41 PM
ciroc is bloody gross - had it on new years and will never have it again - waste of money

jdmakkord
04-10-2010, 04:07 PM
I've been drinking Goose for 10+ years. 3oz on ice with a twist of lime, and a twist of lemon.

masoncgy
04-11-2010, 04:53 PM
I drink vodka 90%+ of time and I still prefer Polar Ice over everything else.

It's delicious! :)

Colin_R6
04-11-2010, 05:43 PM
I heard that the Kirkland Signature Vodka (yes, costco) was very good.

So I bought some! $60 for 60oz. Good deal in my opinion. Its 5x distilled and the first vodka i've ever drank on the rocks.. I love it.

Picked it up in the costco liquor store in beacon hill.

nismo_fan
04-11-2010, 06:43 PM
no no no no no.....you guys, the best vodka out there by far is crystal head! it is honestly the best stuff i've ever had, and i've tried a lot of stuff ( my gf manages a liquor store :D ) and this is by far the best. sooooooo smooth, you barely taste that it is there. i know the edmonton trail liquor depot carries it (ed trail and 8 ave ne)

beyond_ban
04-12-2010, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Colin_R6
I heard that the Kirkland Signature Vodka (yes, costco) was very good.

So I bought some! $60 for 60oz. Good deal in my opinion. Its 5x distilled and the first vodka i've ever drank on the rocks.. I love it.

Picked it up in the costco liquor store in beacon hill.

I was at Costco loading up for camping last spring and i was going to buy myself some Goose. When i walked up to the cashier he told me that the Kirkland signature Vodka was 5 times distilled using the same French water as the Goose. I was tentative, but purchased it. Dirt cheap, and it got me just as loose as the Goose as long as you mixed it with some juice.

Neil4Speed
04-12-2010, 08:25 AM
My Vote has to go for Van Gogh, notably the espresso flavour, so absolutely smooth, I couldn't beleive, I went for a vodka tasting a little while ago and even compared to its peers, Van Gogh came out on top.

Originally posted by Wrinkly
Absolut

Vicious vodka, I don't know how it is so popular, really fierce on the way down

Originally posted by beyond_ban

I was at Costco loading up for camping last spring and i was going to buy myself some Goose. When i walked up to the cashier he told me that the Kirkland signature Vodka was 5 times distilled using the same French water as the Goose. I was tentative, but purchased it. Dirt cheap, and it got me just as loose as the Goose as long as you mixed it with some juice.

I have heard this too, I mean for mixing, you really can't go wrong. I will definitely pick up a bottle of this next time.

Originally posted by nismo_fan
no no no no no.....you guys, the best vodka out there by far is crystal head! it is honestly the best stuff i've ever had, and i've tried a lot of stuff ( my gf manages a liquor store :D ) and this is by far the best. sooooooo smooth, you barely taste that it is there. i know the edmonton trail liquor depot carries it (ed trail and 8 ave ne)

I have been wanting to try this out too, that bottle is pretty solid

beyond_ban
04-12-2010, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
I have heard this too, I mean for mixing, you really can't go wrong. I will definitely pick up a bottle of this next time.

Your telling me. The cashier even told me to pour it into empty goose bottles if i still wanna keep the "balla" image :rofl:

masoncgy
04-12-2010, 09:49 AM
On the bottom of the vodka totem pole, the low end 'battery acid' vodkas.... there is a locally produced 'Highwood' vodka that is actually pretty good...

...one can't expect much for $18 a bottle... but it's actually pretty decent stuff... no sketchy/painful hangovers. A few of my buddies have actually switched from Smirnoff to this Highwood stuff and quite like it.

almerick
04-12-2010, 10:09 AM
I have a love hate relationship with vodka. The first time I ever drank was smirnoff + orange juice :barf:

Vodka is the only alcohol I drink now. Usually add a dash of lime.

Wrinkly
04-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Vicious vodka, I don't know how it is so popular, really fierce on the way down

Funny, I found it quite smooth in comparison to both Smirnoff and Grey Goose (straight). Will have to check out the Costco stuff and your Van Gogh now.

dimi
04-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Hangar One Pear straight. My favorite.

Sky
04-13-2010, 12:07 AM
Smirnoff, you can't beat triple distilled and ten times filtered for $18(sale price). Just stocked up on those.

I've also got Ciroc & Grey Goose if I got special company :poosie:

I have to say Wyborowa is pretty damn smooth and easy to go down. It was cheap back then. Hate the prices now.

almerick
04-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Quick question: Do you need a Costco membership to purchase in their liquor store?

benyl
04-14-2010, 02:49 PM
No

mr2mike
04-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Give me some Effin Vodka anyday!
Just fun to order but really smooth.
http://www.adrants.com/images/effen-vodka.png

almerick
04-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by benyl
No

Thanks, was wondering about that. Was over at the Hamptons Co-Op Liquor store monday, they have quite the selection there, bought a few bottles of vodka :D

mr2mike
04-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Just saw this programmable bottle of vodka. For the Rage2 in your life...

http://www.medeaspirits.com/home

Rat Fink
04-14-2010, 05:27 PM

SScott
04-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Smirnoff is cool if I'm buying Liquor locally, but I'll try and grab some belvedere or Grey Goose if i'm abroad at a duty free :)

cancer man
04-15-2010, 02:45 AM
Try Russian Prince it's not bad and pretty smooth.
Smir is the shitz.

urban.one
04-15-2010, 10:03 AM
It can be fun to do a vodka tasting at home with friends. Theres several ways you can set it up. One of the best is if were having say 10 people over, is have everyone throw in $25 dollars. Then Ill go buy 4 or 5 bottles at various price points. You can adjust the amount everyone pays depending on how many and what brands you want to sample.

Then you do a blind tasting. You can either pour all the vodka in plain bottles or you can have someone who is not doing the tasting pour drinks one bottle at a time in another room. You can do the tasting however you want - straight vodka, with water, and/or other mix.

Not everyone has tried every brand of vodka out there so we have the tasters try to guess the price point of the vodka first and then name the brand if they think they know it. Have everyone write it down and move on to the next one. After youve done all the brands chosen, go back to the first one, pour everyone another drink, and discuss the vodka and have everyone show what they wrote down for price point and brand. Then reveal what brand it is and discuss then move on to the next one.

You can vary it but that should be a good starting point.

Then you can finish off the bottles that night depending on the crowd or you can assigned a points system for guesing the price point and brand correctly. Winner gets first choice of bottle to take home, 2nd gets 2nd choice and so on.

masoncgy
04-15-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by cancer man
Smir is the shitz.

I've tried Russian Prince... it's battery acid, like Finlandia.

beyond_ban
04-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by masoncgy

I've tried Russian Prince... it's battery acid, like Finlandia.

Plain Finlandia is gross, but i quite enjoy their cranberry.

legendboy
04-15-2010, 10:37 AM
definitely not a connoisseur but i usually buy stolichnaya :dunno:

thepyrofish
04-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
definitely not a connoisseur but i usually buy stolichnaya :dunno:
Neither am I, but I do work with a lady from Moscow. She likes her Stoli and I feel I should defer to the Russians for vodka advice.

Personally I think it all tastes like rubbing alcohol.

mr2mike
04-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Russian's seem to like to put picked berries in their vodka for some different tastes. Ask her about it and see which berries they use?

It sits and the vodka takes on some of the flavor. I got a gift with this in it once and it was pretty good. But I forget what berries she used. Typically, they're berries that are found locally in Calgary but deemed poisonous because they'll make you sick if you ate them in the wild but in the vodka, it's fine I guess. I was weary but didn't get sick.

Here's what they looked like.
http://static-p3.fotolia.com/jpg/00/06/20/62/400_F_6206209_9Yf4dYjUmexPNCYhsXp1sB7TCRZ3FC5F.jpg

Jlude
04-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by davidI

Every single post you make of your travels makes me want to just travel abroad for a year.

I usually just grab vodka for shots and it's usually Finlandia (a few of my friends are finnish and they insist)

almerick
04-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Eff, just went and bought more vodka, a bottle of Ciroq and Van Gough.
Friend got Chopin.

thepyrofish
04-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Russian's seem to like to put picked berries in their vodka for some different tastes. Ask her about it and see which berries they use?

It sits and the vodka takes on some of the flavor. I got a gift with this in it once and it was pretty good. But I forget what berries she used. Typically, they're berries that are found locally in Calgary but deemed poisonous because they'll make you sick if you ate them in the wild but in the vodka, it's fine I guess. I was weary but didn't get sick.

Here's what they looked like.
http://static-p3.fotolia.com/jpg/00/06/20/62/400_F_6206209_9Yf4dYjUmexPNCYhsXp1sB7TCRZ3FC5F.jpg

She's in our Mississauga facility, but we talk at least a couple times a week. I'll bring it up if I remember.

I know the berries you mean though. They grow all over the place here. I too was always told growing up that they would make you sick. Did you eat the berries with the vodka or just drink it and dump the berries? Did they taste good? They smell kinda funky when they get all stepped on on the sidewalk.

Feruk
04-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by cancer man
Smir is the shitz.

:facepalm: I had the Prince once. Melted through my plastic cup. If you want a truly painful hangover and no joy in drinking vodka, then Russian prince is for you.

My favorite is Zubruwka (Polish). Very smoothe and reasonably priced. Wybrowa I'd rank 3rd after Belveder. All Polish as the Polaks know their vodka.

troyl
04-20-2010, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by dimi
Hangar One Pear straight. My favorite.

Where did you pick this up from?

InRich
04-20-2010, 11:31 PM
Damn it guys, I read the entire thread and I'm still not clear on which vodka is best....

I'm no pro or anything, but lately I have been drinking vodka alot, with orange juice and extra pulp. I always buy it to impress my guests and business contacts when I have get togethers, they drink free of course. I'm always buying the Goose, cause I think it goes down pretty good with the juice, and its expensive, so I've always kinda thought I was like buying the Benz in vodka's... I definatly noticed that the goose is twice the price of the Smirnoffs....

So, for gods shake, the people who are consistantly buying vodka to mix with something else, whats the overall best/price deal out there? The regular UFC/poker night on a saturday is currently costing me at least 250 - 350 in just drinks and party food alone.

masoncgy
04-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Go to a Co-Op liquor store... they sell a 26oz 'Highwood' vodka for $18.29 + applicable taxes/fees and it's totally fine for mixing up with soft drinks or juice.

That or they will have Polar Ice, Sky or Absolut on for $19.99 ... and those are all good for mixing too.

Why don't you tell people to BYOB? Save yourself the $250-$350 and then your buddies won't feel like scavengers either... ;)

Neil4Speed
04-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by InRich
I always buy it to impress my guests and business contacts when I have get togethers, they drink free of course. I'm always buying the Goose, cause I think it goes down pretty good with the juice, and its expensive, so I've always kinda thought I was like buying the Benz in vodka's...

If your priority is impressing specific people (no problem, sometimes in life you have to right?) I would just stick to Grey Goose, or perhaps save the Grey Goose bottles and fill them up with the Costco Kirkland Vodka which is supposedly very good.

ercchry
02-17-2013, 04:44 PM
well since wyborowa exquisite is getting harder and harder to find. i have started to branch out a bit... and dare i say... found a new favorite?

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/73457_10151498831053638_896071235_n.jpg

JRSC00LUDE
02-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Anyone drink Slava? That and Ketel One are my two.

rage2
02-17-2013, 09:46 PM
No probs finding Wyborowa Exquisite. It's everywhere (near my house). Chopin gold label is up there too.

asp integra
02-17-2013, 11:32 PM
go pick up a big bottle of kirkland vodka from costco, its cheap and delicious! for the price and the taste you cant go wrong!