PDA

View Full Version : Hard-Wired carbon Monoxide detector?

eblend
04-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Anyone know where to buy one locally? I checked Home Depot and Rona, as well as Totem and couldn't find any hard wired version. Anyone know of a place that carries them?

Xtrema
04-08-2010, 11:28 AM
1) why don't you buy a combo unit smoke + CO?

2) why don't you just buy a plug in unit?

n1zm0
04-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

yeah, my parents place had hardwired CO detectors, pressing to test them one day i opened it up to find there wasnt even a backup power supply for it a.k.a battery.

thinking to myself, if all the power went out at night for whatever reason, these hardwired units wouldnt go off at all if anything were to happen, same goes for the fire detectors which were hardwired.

best to have a could auxiliary powered detectors around for that reason imo

codetrap
04-08-2010, 12:21 PM
I just bought and installed CO+Smoke detectors that are hardwired, with battery backup. The talking ones. Got them at Rona for $50/each. They also talk to each other over the house wiring as well via an interconnect wire.

benyl
04-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
1) why don't you buy a combo unit smoke + CO?

New basement developments require a hard wired version.

Xtrema
04-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

yeah, my parents place had hardwired CO detectors, pressing to test them one day i opened it up to find there wasnt even a backup power supply for it a.k.a battery.

thinking to myself, if all the power went out at night for whatever reason, these hardwired units wouldnt go off at all if anything were to happen, same goes for the fire detectors which were hardwired.

best to have a could auxiliary powered detectors around for that reason imo

Most hardwired unit has battery backup.

So do plug in units.

I won't trust anything that's battery only.

To OP,

Unless your place is brand new, you may as well replace the smoke detector with smoke + CO.

eblend
04-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Hey everyone,

I am currently developing the basement and want to put a CO monitor in the basement close to the floor (CO is heavier than air, so it will always drop to the floor first). I currently have 3 interconnected fire alarms in the house. What I want to do is get a hard wired CO detector that has a trigger wire, which I can then connect to the trigger wire on the fire alarm. Should there be a CO leak in the house, all fire alarms will go off since they are all linked.

I looked at the combo units, but much rather have a hardwired individual detector so it doesn't look silly close to the floor. And yes, most have backup battery in them as well.

eblend
04-10-2010, 08:41 AM
If anyone cares, I went to Rona again and now the carry a low profile, direct wire carbon monoxide detector by Kiddle for like $80. Here is what it looks like

http://www.remodeling.hw.net/Images/tmp808.tmp_tcm17-119405.jpg

mobius
04-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by eblend

(CO is heavier than air, so it will always drop to the floor first).

This is not correct, and has made your CO detector useless. CO has a very similar molecular weight to air; CO detectors are supposed to be placed within 4-7 feet of the floor (breathing space).

However, because of convenience, in most basement developments people use the Kiddie direct wire combo smoke/CO detector and place it on the ceiling. Which is still much more useful than putting it on the floor.

Amysicle
04-10-2010, 06:43 PM
For the hardwired smoke/fire detectors, do the sensors last a lifetime or something? I always thought you had to replace your battery powered smoke detectors every 10 years or so (or the year that is on the sticker) because the sensors become useless over time.

malbadon
04-11-2010, 09:33 AM
I got my Kidde combo hard wired from Canadian Tire, but I was sure I only bought it there because it was more at HD. I don't remember having trouble finding them, maybe the HD was just out of stock?

eblend
04-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by mobius

This is not correct, and has made your CO detector useless. CO has a very similar molecular weight to air; CO detectors are supposed to be placed within 4-7 feet of the floor (breathing space).

However, because of convenience, in most basement developments people use the Kiddie direct wire combo smoke/CO detector and place it on the ceiling. Which is still much more useful than putting it on the floor.

I was basing my information on what was given to me by my house inspector, who is rated top 10 in Canada and will be part of Mike Holmes Inspection company....so I went with what he says. Keep in mind that my detector is placed right outside the door to the furnace room, the primary source of CO in a house, so I assume that any CO that was to come out would do so through the gap at the bottom of the door? Maybe I am wrong. Also, the location of the detector is also right next to the door that leads upstairs, as my stairs that lead downstairs are part of a stairwell that leads to the second floor, part of the developed area.

I dunno, I will install it and hope that it never comes on. Perhaps I will purchase another one to install close to my bedroom, just a plugin type.

Also, why are there so many plug in type of CO monitors, since most outlets are no more then 1 foot off the floor, are those useless as well?

Also, to the other question, yes the CO monitors need to be replaced every so many years, the one I got is guaranteed for 7 years and has an End of Life indicator on the LCD screen

mobius
04-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by eblend

I was basing my information on what was given to me by my house inspector, who is rated top 10 in Canada and will be part of Mike Holmes Inspection company

Cool. I was just basing my information off of scientific fact, and the information given to me by the company who supplied the CO, NO, and NH4 detectors I just finished wiring into a building. For whatever it's worth.

And yes, I was being a little over dramatic. Sure, having a CO detector is better than having no CO detector at all. But keep in mind, just because you can buy something, doesn't make it right or the best solution.

Especially if you have the option to "Make it Right" (to quote Mike Holmes :nut: ). A plug in detector is an afterthought, for someone who doesn't care enough, or can't afford to have one hardwired in properly.

Just saying.

eblend
04-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by mobius

Cool. I was just basing my information off of scientific fact, and the information given to me by the company who supplied the CO, NO, and NH4 detectors I just finished wiring into a building. For whatever it's worth.

And yes, I was being a little over dramatic. Sure, having a CO detector is better than having no CO detector at all. But keep in mind, just because you can buy something, doesn't make it right or the best solution.

Especially if you have the option to "Make it Right" (to quote Mike Holmes :nut: ). A plug in detector is an afterthought, for someone who doesn't care enough, or can't afford to have one hardwired in properly.

Just saying.

Cool. I haven't covered the walls where I placed the detector so I can still move it up. Interestingly enough, that same home inspector just did my friend's house, and he hold him the exact same thing about placing it low...saying that by the time the gas gets to the height on a high mounted detector, you would probably already be dead.

You and the inspector both seem credible...so I am kind of torn on which way is best.

cet
04-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Here's what CMHC says:

From here:http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/maho/yohoyohe/inaiqu/inaiqu_002.cfm

Where Do I Put A CO Detector?
Most manufacturers specify where you should locate their CO detector. In general, the best place to put the detector is where you will hear it while sleeping. CO is roughly the same weight as air and distributes evenly throughout a room, so a detector can be placed at any height in any location, as long as its alarm can be heard. Additional units could be installed in several other locations around the home, such as a child's bedroom; check the list below before installing.

To avoid both damage to the unit and to reduce false alarms, do not install CO detectors:

•in unheated basements, attics or garages
•in areas of high humidity
•where they will be exposed to chemical solvents or cleaners, including hair spray, deodorant sprays, etc.
•near vents, flues or chimneys
•within 2 metres (6 ft.) of heating and cooking appliances
•near forced-or unforced-air ventilation openings
•within 2 metres (6 ft.) of corners or areas where natural air circulation is low
•where they can be damaged, such as an outlet in a high traffic area
•where directly exposed to the weather.

and carbonmonoxidekills.com:http://www.carbonmonoxidekills.com/placement.htm

Carbon Monoxide Detector Placement

PLACEMENT OF CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS IMPORTANT

Proper placement of a carbon monoxide detector is important. If you are installing only one carbon monoxide detector, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recommends it be located near the sleeping area, where it can wake you if you are asleep. Additional detectors on every level and in every bedroom of a home provides extra protection.

Homeowners should remember not to install carbon monoxide detectors directly above or beside fuel-burning appliances, as appliances may emit a small amount of carbon monoxide upon start-up. A detector should not be placed within fifteen feet of heating or cooking appliances or in or near very humid areas such as bathrooms.

When considering where to place a carbon monoxide detector, keep in mind that although carbon monoxide is roughly the same weight as air (carbon monoxide's specific gravity is 0.9657, as stated by the EPA; the National Resource Council lists the specific gravity of air as one), it may be contained in warm air coming from combustion appliances such as home heating equipment. If this is the case, carbon monoxide will rise with the warmer air.

Mitsu3000gt
04-12-2010, 10:09 AM
CO is usually near the ground, and so are power outlets, so its convenient to use plug in ones if your house didn't come hard wired with one. Then, if you put a combo smoke/CO detector on the roof, you'd be pretty well covered. My condo only has smoke alarms so I'm looking for a nice low profile plug in CO detector for near my bed.

Xtrema
04-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Amysicle
For the hardwired smoke/fire detectors, do the sensors last a lifetime or something? I always thought you had to replace your battery powered smoke detectors every 10 years or so (or the year that is on the sticker) because the sensors become useless over time.

Smoke detector has a life span of 10 years.

CO has a life span of 5 years

Check the expiry date on your detector. If it doesn't have one, consider it expired if your house is older than 5 years. Also be aware that a lot contractors love to blow smoke to test detectors. That's the equivalent of testing airbags by crashing a car. This testing method severely diminishes the life of the detector.

The reason they expire is that the sensor will eventually be covered with dust and will lose it's ability to sense over time.

As for the battery backup, do a test every time you change the DST clock (twice a year) and replace as needed.