PDA

View Full Version : where to find good pepperoni in calgary?

nonlinear
04-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Hi guys,

i've been making awesome pizzas at home for some years now, and pretty much the only negative thing about the pies is that I can't source high-quality pepperoni in Calgary. I've tried deli counters, i've tried the bagged pre-sliced stuff from several grocery stores, but for whatever reason, everything here is the cheap, spongy, bologna-type pepperoni. you know, the crap that you find on the cheap 2-for-1 joints in Calgary. what i want instead is "normal" pepperoni like you would find on Papa John's or Pizza Hut pizzas. this isn't anything special, just "normal," you know? like this (see how it's RED, thin, and meaty - not ORANGE, thick and spongy, like the crap they sell here):

http://www.hormelfoods.com/ASSETS/13ABE82BCDD64D16A9A16A5110E744E2/banner_ourBrands.jpg

https://www.wegmans.com/prodimg/855/200/037600398855.jpg

know1edge
04-08-2010, 01:20 PM

hampstor
04-08-2010, 02:38 PM
^^ peppino's for sure...

If you're out in Airdrie, the 'my butcher shoppe' in airdrie might have what you're looking for too.

Have you considered using genoa salami instead of pepperoni? When we do homemade pizzas I usually buy sliced hot (or medium) genoa from my local grocery store. You can always ask your grocery store to sample it next time you're in there too!

nonlinear
04-08-2010, 02:42 PM
haven't tried peppino's, maybe i'll give them a call. the thing is that pepperoni is american, not italian... so i'm not sure they would have it. (i haven't been able to find pepperoni in italian markets in calgary, either).

i've had genoa salami before, but it's different than pepperoni, and i'm really looking for pepperoni. i seriously can't believe that you can't find this in calgary? i mean SERIOUSLY!

n1zm0
04-08-2010, 02:47 PM
the italian bakery deli used to have deli meats for sale, also il centro sold cured meats at one point, idk if they do still. this was about 3 years ago tho when i worked in that area, italian sandwiches for lunch :drool:

HHURICANE1
04-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Try the pepper salami. Most delis have it and it is wicked good on pizzas.:drool:

chathamf
04-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Ya'll need to get Halifax made Brother's Pepperoni available in Calgary. When I first moved out their a few years ago, Superstore used to have this big packages of it and I stocked up, but I was never able to find it again.

I did find Chris Brother's (which is also made in Halifax), but it's not quite as good as Brother's.

Anyone see this stuff anywhere? I know there must be some east coasters who know what I'm talking about.