PDA

View Full Version : Need info from Advanced autoCAD'ers

Modelexis
04-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Background:

I took a 10 month course on Maya (3D) in 2005
I worked a 3D job for about 2 yrs, converting CAD curves to 3D objects and rendering out scenes.

Some works in progress:
www.modelexis.com

I've been using adobe Illustrator for the last 5 years full time working in the sign industry designing and installing signs.

I've decided to go to school to finally learn autoCAD and get a career in autoCAD or similar.

My question is this, I see with bow valley college they have level I, II, and Advanced.

I have autoCAD 2010 64bit and I have a couple textbooks including:

Learning AutoCAD 2010
AutoCAD 2008 for Dummies

So given my working knowledge of how these 'type of programs' work,

Would it be suggested or advised that I get comfortable with the program and enter into the advanced course to skip all the BS and get into the stuff that matters?

Is an online course recommended or even viable to learn autoCAD?

I need as much info as I can get, if you have another school to suggest, even another program if you don't think autoCAD is the software leader.
Any info I can get would be appriciated.

Thanks.

Modelexis
04-08-2010, 06:34 PM
First autoCAD q.

Why does the circle show a snap receptive center point but not the square?

legendboy
04-09-2010, 08:32 AM
If you have not ever used autocad you would benefit from taking all the courses.

I personally doubt you could challenge the advanced class after reading a few books, but who knows what the bow valley classes are like :dunno:

Modelexis
04-09-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm not looking to challenge the advanced class, but rather take the class and skip the 2 stages of beginner classes.

From what it says on the website about the first two intro courses is they mainly cover drawing lines and the basics, which i can learn on my own with textbooks and using the program as I move through them.

If I can find someone who has taken all 3 courses they can maybe tell me if they think the first two intro classes are worth the time/money or if they think a person can lock down the basics from a few months of at home study time.

Sugarphreak
04-09-2010, 10:44 AM

Dilmah
04-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Modelexis
First autoCAD q.

Why does the circle show a snap receptive center point but not the square?
That is what the radius of the circle is based off of; a square is a rectangle with four equal sides.

I took classes at SAIT, and in order to get the certificate you need to take all the classes, you can challenge two of the classes but need to take them in a certain order. They are flexible as to the order for most people but I’ve heard some say that they wouldn’t let them change the order of the classes.

JfuckinC
04-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I usually just draw a construction line from corner to corner or midpoint to midpoint of the square and use the mid-point of that line if I need to move it base on the centerline or draw something centered on it.

why not just use midpont snaps and otrack?

OP take all the courses. some of the stuff in the early classes is a waste but some of the simple shit they teach you really does help mold you into an efficient draftsman.

Sugarphreak
04-09-2010, 10:52 AM

JfuckinC
04-09-2010, 10:55 AM

I hate otrack... I don't use osnap either, I type in a snap if I need it.

oh you crazy man youuu!! haha drawing a construction line just adds time though. i know what you mean, i stopped using full time snaps and use the shift right click method now. Makes for less stressful snapping haha.

Dilmah
04-09-2010, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

why not just use midpont snaps and otrack?

Agree, that's what I do...

Sugarphreak
04-09-2010, 10:59 AM

JfuckinC
04-09-2010, 11:05 AM
haha, everybody does it different... for me I am crazy fast so it takes too long if I try and do things visually and wait for snaps to appear. I type in the line command, type in the snap for each side and have the square moving on the center in under a second.

I started with Rel.10 so I am old school, lol

haha it's true everyone does everything diff. Rel.10 eh, i have a release 7 box at home i think! my dads of course though. Sometimes i go faster than my stupid work computer can think, fuck that's annoying. But my computer is jizzunk :banghead:

OP any questions you have will most likely get answered easily on here, i think there is some pretty good drafters!

Sugarphreak
04-09-2010, 11:11 AM

Dilmah
04-09-2010, 11:14 AM

I would say because circles, cones, cylinders, arcs (ect) are usually based on centers to draw and locate them (although not exclusively), squares and rectangles are more like objects you create.

I usually just draw a construction line from corner to corner or midpoint to midpoint of the square and use the mid-point of that line if I need to move it base on the centerline or draw something centered on it.

haha, everybody does it different... for me I am crazy fast so it takes too long if I try and do things visually and wait for snaps to appear. I type in the line command, type in the snap for each side and have the square moving on the center in under a second.

I started with Rel.10 so I am old school, lol

The question was about a circle and the snap point, you added in the part about moving it and using a construction line, and now you want to tell everyone how fast you are and how you use the command line. Save the bragging for the chicks... I’m sure everyone has their own way of doing things fast, but it’s accuracy that counts.

Sugarphreak
04-09-2010, 11:22 AM

Dilmah
04-09-2010, 11:27 AM

That is a legitimate way to locate the center of a square... otrack wasn't always around, some people also do not like to use it. It is fast and it is accurate; it perfectly addresses the OP's question.

We must be reading two different questions. I'm reading "Why does the circle show a snap receptive center point but not the square?" Nothing about locating the center or anything about how fast I am...

JfuckinC
04-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Dilmah

We must be reading two different questions. I'm reading "Why does the circle show a snap receptive center point but not the square?" Nothing about locating the center or anything about how fast I am...

haha who cares man. Let's keep this constructive autocad advice only maybe?! who cares if he is sayng he's uber fast. i said it too. we all think we're the best :D

Edit: sugar i run Navisworks pretty much anytime i run autocad, I'm piping so i like to see what i'm doing!

Sugarphreak
04-09-2010, 11:33 AM

Sugarphreak
04-09-2010, 11:44 AM

JfuckinC
04-09-2010, 01:46 PM

A piper eh! I am on the C/S/A side of things myself.

I used to work like that as well, but ever since Jetstream 5 and later versions have come out I have been finding they bog down my computer to the point of almost being unusable.

I'm using Jetstream V5. A new seat of the full navisworks manage is 10g's this year :eek:

I'm having one of those days where all i can say is "where is all this pipe going to fit?" haha fuckkkkkk :banghead:

Modelexis
04-09-2010, 01:48 PM
I don't know if anyone would be willing to do this for me, but do any of you have any projects you can give me that I can finish and post up my result.

This would be a great way to learn on the fly, and solve the speedbumps as they come up.

If anyone has a site plan sample or a building layout plan or anything pretty complex that I can work away at, you can post it up with a short description of what is required to get a passing grade.

I can finish the work and post it back up when I'm done.

Maybe even a complex cad layout that I can duplicate and submit my final work to show that I know the program?

(2d of course)

Let me know if anyone doesn't find this absurd and I can give it a shot!

legendboy
04-09-2010, 01:49 PM

I hate otrack... I don't use osnap either, I type in a snap if I need it.

:eek:

Sugarphreak
04-09-2010, 01:59 PM

ercchry
04-09-2010, 02:03 PM
i think i have a bunch of old lessons kicking around from my time at SAIT...

the beginner classes are super easy... but at the same time really important so you learn the basics... and learn them correctly so when you have to send a .dwg to someone they know wtf is going on with your layers all all the rest.

Dilmah
04-09-2010, 02:52 PM
The best thing I did to learn before taking any classes I went to the basement and started drawing everything down there. Ducts, gas line, electrical and the wood work. Today when I want to know where the gasline is I look at the drawing I did ten years ago.

Modelexis
04-13-2010, 02:38 PM
I enrolled today for the SAIT 4 week training for AutoCAD.

4 weeks that covers everything, all three levels.

Sounds pretty intense, thats why I went for it.

I will also be working part time during this course.

Does anyone have any tips for a noob heading to SAIT?

Course starts May 3, so I'm gonna try to pack in as much autocad knowledge as I can before hand so I don't get left behind.

JfuckinC
04-13-2010, 02:49 PM
I don't think you'll get left behind man, just pay attention and read your modules. Should be a breeze honestly. Good luck man.