PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Canon Flashes

95EG6P
04-08-2010, 08:44 PM
I was just wondering are there any alternative brands or aftermarket brands that does the same thing that the Canon Speedlite 580EX does for the fraction of it's price?

If so where would I find these brands?

Cheers

The_Rural_Juror
04-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Sigma will work.

88jbody
04-08-2010, 09:36 PM
some sunpak as well.
but if you are going off camera with a wireless trigger for them then you can use almost any.

95EG6P
04-08-2010, 10:07 PM
Which Sigma or Sunpack model would be the equivalent to the Canon 580EX?
If someone else recommends another brand, please give me a model number that's the equivalent to the 580EX please.

Thanks

D'z Nutz
04-09-2010, 12:07 AM
The Sigma 500 DG Super is a good, cheap alternative to the 580ex depending on what you're using it for. It's slightly less powerful and isn't built as well, but for the price you can't complain. You could buy two used ones for less than the price of a used 580EX I. I have a pair that I keep as backups to my 580. I've also modded them to include a sync port so I can use wireless triggers with them when I do off shoe stuff.

Sigma also released a new 530 that's an improvement over the 500, but I don't know very much about those ones.

KKY
04-09-2010, 08:54 AM
I've been using a sigma 500 for a while. It's a great flash. As D'z said a bit less powerful, however I haven't found that to be a problem. Don't worry too much about the build quality. When you have a Canon in one hand and a Sigma in the other, the Sigma does "feel" less solid, but it's not like it will randomly fall apart on you.

One thing the Sigma has that the Canon doesn't is built-in optical slave.

95EG6P
04-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the help D'z Nutz and KKY. I'm looking to use them in a parking lot or areas where it's low lighting, so I'm thinking it's off shoe stuff primarily. Kinda of the same idea as EvolizePhoto when he does his car photos. Hope I gave enough info but if not just ask.

For the Sigma 500 DG, is the modding easy to do the sync ports or should I just buy a model that already comes with it? maybe the Sigma 530 DG might have it? :dunno:

Thanks

EvolizePhoto
04-09-2010, 09:12 PM
you can use virtually any flash off camera.
right now i use
2x sigma sb80dx
2x sunpak 738af
2x vivitar 285hv's

total cost was about $450 then i bought some awesome triggers with pc sync ports off ebay for another $50 that just came in today.

off camera flash doesn't have to be brand specific, just make sure you have manual control

freshvibes
04-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Just curious, when using flashes off camera is there any advantages in using a newer flash like a 580exII for example as opposed to older ones such as the vivi 285's?

EvolizePhoto
04-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by freshvibes
Just curious, when using flashes off camera is there any advantages in using a newer flash like a 580exII for example as opposed to older ones such as the vivi 285's? the only advantage on some is higher power outputs, and an lcd screen to adjust settings on.

those vivitar flashes are amazing, and extremely popular amongst the strobist community.

edit: some other advantages between some are ability to be used as optical slaves like my nikon's. not sure what else, but i assume those are probably the biggest

KKY
04-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Modern flashes let you do ettl (or ittl or whatever depending on the brand of your camera) with the appropriate trigger/receiver. Some flash/camera/trigger combos let you control flash output remotely.

Although you have more control doing everything manually (and I do recommend doing that when you're learning), ettl and remote control can save a lot of time in some situations.

Modding is pretty easy on most flashes. Assuming you can do basic wiring and soldering. I don't think the Sigma 530 has a sync port.

dragonone
04-10-2010, 12:51 AM
another two 580 equivalents are the metz58 and nissin866

i was curious, do these 580 replacements retain the same master capabilities like the 580? i.e. use a nissin866 to control a 430

KKY
04-10-2010, 01:35 AM
The only combo I have personal experience with is Sigma 500 super and Canon 550ex. The 2 function as master and slave both ways.

95EG6P
04-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the info, now just looking for where to purchase them, hopefully used. :)

Seahorsepower1
07-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Just a quick question, would these flashes work with these triggers.

These are the flashes:
Sigma EF-530 DG ST High Power Flash
YN460 flashes

This is the trigger:
RF-602 2.4GHz Wireless Remote Flash Trigger for CANON

The camera is a Canon T1i

Thanks for the help

soupey
07-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by KKY
Modern flashes let you do ettl (or ittl or whatever depending on the brand of your camera) with the appropriate trigger/receiver. Some flash/camera/trigger combos let you control flash output remotely.

Although you have more control doing everything manually (and I do recommend doing that when you're learning), ettl and remote control can save a lot of time in some situations.

Modding is pretty easy on most flashes. Assuming you can do basic wiring and soldering. I don't think the Sigma 530 has a sync port.

having wireless ettl also elliminates a lot of the clutter when getting flashes to work, no pocketwizards or ebay triggers, u can also wirelessly shoot off strobe flashes as long as u have a 580 master (right now ive got 1 580exii and 2 430ex's), and KKY is totally right about learning using manual settings, but ultimately, using ratio settings with ettl can save tons of time...