PDA

View Full Version : Needing ideas for a sculpture

darkrider911
04-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Hey guys,

I've got a block of soap stone that I would like to carve into something but at the moment I'm fresh out of ideas. Got any easy suggestions for a first-timer sculptor?

I thought about doing a pack of cigarettes(to commemorate quitting, which I plan to do hopefully by the end of the month), as well as a hockey stick, goalie mask, my roommates dog's head. I even thought about a car but I think that'd be too hard haha.

97'Scort
04-08-2010, 10:16 PM
My first one was a dinosaur. Kind of a cartoony one.

DENZILDON
04-08-2010, 10:30 PM
^ Barny? lol

darkrider911
04-08-2010, 10:34 PM
My roommate suggested making pipes and selling them in Ganges Harbor on Salt Spring haha.

Originally posted by 97'Scort
My first one was a dinosaur. Kind of a cartoony one.
Nice, what kind did you do?

swak
04-08-2010, 11:08 PM
a penis.

.. but realistically, a cartoony dinosaur will be your best bet.
For an art class in highschool i made a dinosaur out of twist ties, had thousands of them, it took forever, but was kick ass. (No pics sorry)

Post pics after youre done, i love stuff like that.

darkrider911
04-09-2010, 08:41 AM
UPDATE: I'm leaning towards doing an animal(still debating what though), and also thinking about chopping a chunk off to do a pack of cigarettes or a pipe.

Originally posted by swak
a penis.

.. but realistically, a cartoony dinosaur will be your best bet.
For an art class in highschool i made a dinosaur out of twist ties, had thousands of them, it took forever, but was kick ass. (No pics sorry)

Post pics after youre done, i love stuff like that.
Haha I definitely will post pics, it'll probably look like a pile of rubble by the time I'm done though.

Art class in HS was always fun, this one time a friend and I build a giant battle field that was from the cowboys & indian days, it took 1 month but we used the fake grass on the bottom took branches and rocks, dirt and a bunch of those old fashioned little green army men figurines and made hills and a small fort on one corner and a couple teepees on the other corner. We used a sheet of plywood 1 sq. yard. It was wicked.(sadly no pics, but the teacher liked it)

Vagabond142
04-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Do a wolf, take a picture of it, put it on a black t-shirt, sell at little booths in the mall, make millions

97'Scort
04-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by darkrider911
Nice, what kind did you do?
Stegasaurus? I haven't carved soapstone since I was about 12 though. Kinda messy and after awhile, you just have a bunch of carvings sitting around...

darthVWader
04-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Trout

scat19
04-09-2010, 03:17 PM
A naked lady

Spoons
04-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Sculpting a pack of cigarettes to commemorate quiting after a month won't do. Your first month is still the beginning. I've made it a month plenty of times and still went back to smoking. If your going to do that, you are just going to remind yourself of it, IMHO.

darkrider911
04-09-2010, 08:10 PM
UPDATE: I've cut off a chunk of it to make my own pipe(which I've gotten about 45% done).

Originally posted by Vagabond142
Do a wolf, take a picture of it, put it on a black t-shirt, sell at little booths in the mall, make millions
Wouldn't it be better to do many wolves and sell 'em? The first one would be the toughest, and after that it'd be easier to re-create them.

Originally posted by 97'Scort

Stegasaurus? I haven't carved soapstone since I was about 12 though. Kinda messy and after awhile, you just have a bunch of carvings sitting around...
Oh yeah, and it just gets everywhere haha

Originally posted by darthVWader
Trout
I was thinking about an aquatic animal, a Trout would be nice but I think it'd be more fun doing a whale, hammerhead shark or a stingray.

Originally posted by scat19
A naked lady
Hahaha I was waiting for someone to post something in regards to a naked female/body parts.

Originally posted by Spoons
Sculpting a pack of cigarettes to commemorate quiting after a month won't do. Your first month is still the beginning. I've made it a month plenty of times and still went back to smoking. If your going to do that, you are just going to remind yourself of it, IMHO.

That's what I figured haha, changed my mind on that.... I've already attempted quitting before(3 or 4 times) and it is hard, but I've been having real bad lung problems the past 6 months. I'm finding my throat is clogged up(ie. causing me to have to cough, clear my throat/ spit more than I usually do) so I am trying to accept no solution but quitting.

Spoons
04-10-2010, 08:14 PM
I'm finding my throat is clogged up(ie. causing me to have to cough, clear my throat/ spit more than I usually do) so I am trying to accept no solution but quitting.

That is just smoking for you, it will cause flem build up. I am always horking up flem and shit. It's a disgusting habit, but fuck it.

I need to quit as well.

garnet
04-11-2010, 03:14 PM
ashtray? :dunno:

darkrider911
04-12-2010, 09:03 AM
UPDATE: So I finished my first pipe(will post pictures after I sand it and polish it up) and it's looking pretty good(It sure hits the lungs pretty hard!). I have decided that I'm going to attempt a trout, I really don't know why but I found some pictures with exceptional details that I'm going to use as the base of my sculpture.

Originally posted by Spoons
That is just smoking for you, it will cause flem build up. I am always horking up flem and shit. It's a disgusting habit, but fuck it.

I need to quit as well.
Yeah I know, it was bad in Calgary and since I moved to Vancouver Island it's gotten worse(wtf?!). One day quitting will happen, and you'll feel like a million bucks. How long have you been smoking for?

Originally posted by garnet
ashtray? :dunno:
Yeah, I thought about that one too and it probably wouldn't get used too often as I use empty coffee cans for smoking and don't smoke in the house.

bituerbo
04-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Do one of the sculptures from beetlejuice:

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/9369/normalbeetlejuice084.jpg

darkrider911
04-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by bituerbo
Do one of the sculptures from beetlejuice:

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/9369/normalbeetlejuice084.jpg

Dude, that's sweet! I'll definitely have to try that for my next sculpture(I have too small of a chunk of stone to make that even close to full size). I'm definitely thinking about starting this up as a hobby.

darkrider911
04-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Okay, so I have my pipe completed for now.... going to be doing another layer of sanding and oil finish.

I spent 7 hours carving it, 1.25 hours sanding it, and 45 minutes polishing it. It looks so beautiful, wish I could have gotten more photos during the process.... oh well.

http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/5092/robbiepipe.jpg (http://img532.imageshack.us/i/robbiepipe.jpg/)

Wrinkly
04-17-2010, 10:50 PM
UPDATE: Yeah I know, it was bad in Calgary and since I moved to Vancouver Island it's gotten worse(wtf?!).

Probably the altitude and the atmosphere. You're at sea level now, whereas you were 4000ft here in Cowtown. The humidity will be higher there, too. I find when I go home (also sea level) I get more congested. I quit smoking 25 years ago, but I still have a morning cough sometimes :dunno:

Wish I'd never bloody started.

darkrider911
04-18-2010, 06:17 AM
Oh same here, it's aweful.... But it's a life lesson! :)

Freeskier
04-18-2010, 05:04 PM
That looks awesome dude! nice pipe. If your in victoria with it, we should meet up for a blaze sesh lol.

syritis
04-18-2010, 05:48 PM
i'd be impressed if you could do this.
http://th09.deviantart.net/fs14/300W/i/2007/059/6/3/Dark_Angel_by_LordHannu.jpg

darkrider911
04-20-2010, 11:57 AM
UPDATE: I'll be working on a few things, probably going to attempt making a sword/dagger out of wood and then a nice old-fashioned tobacco pipe out of arbutus wood.

Originally posted by Freeskier
That looks awesome dude! nice pipe. If your in victoria with it, we should meet up for a blaze sesh lol.
Hahaha, maybe we'll have to co-ordinate something.

Originally posted by syritis
i'd be impressed if you could do this.
http://th09.deviantart.net/fs14/300W/i/2007/059/6/3/Dark_Angel_by_LordHannu.jpg

Now that would be unreal if I could do that.... That is awesome!

Freeskier
04-20-2010, 03:30 PM
UPDATE: I'll be working on a few things, probably going to attempt making a sword/dagger out of wood and then a nice old-fashioned tobacco pipe out of arbutus wood.

An arbutus, soapstone pipe would be unreal!