PDA

View Full Version : Maxima 2005... what to watch out for?

viccor
04-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Hey guys, new here. I'm looking for a new Maxima 2005 under 100k on it. I've read some Nissan forums and got somewhat familiar with Maximas. But still have some questions.

Regarding the transmission problem... is dealer going to swap the transmission if the car less than 100k on it and now with more than 100k? What if it doesn't give that grind problem yet, would the dealer still be willing to swap the transmission or I would have to wait untill the problem show up and since I'm probably going to buy one with close to 100k which means that the problem with transmission will show up after 100k on it. Is this transmission problem that big of a deal? Like, are all Maximas have this transmission problem? Can the mechanic check "how soon" transmission need to fixed?

Should I use Nissan/Infinity delaership to check it out for me or any mechanic would go the job? IS there anything specifically I have to mention when I bring to the dealership for used car inspection to cover everything??

I looked at the prices and it seems like the price range is like $13000-17000 for 80-100k. Don't know what I should be aiming for and I don't really have preference between SE/SL. What kind of price should I be looking for? I've seen mostrly SE's so going to go with that with about 80-100k on it.

Sorry guys for all these question; I just want to get a car without troubles (or least expensive troubles). I'm finishing up school and only have about $15000 to spend on a car (cash+LOC)

Thanks for all the answers. And please be easy on me.. LOL... I don't know much when it comes to cars.

Neil4Speed
04-09-2010, 07:12 AM
Just trying to give some suggestions. I don't know too much about Maxima's specifically, but some other cars to look that are simmilar are the 2003+ Infiniti G35 Sedans/Coupes, and the 2004 Acura TL's. The TL's have shown to have pretty solid reliability in a nice package.

Both cars would be a bit smaller on the inside than the Maxima though.

viccor
04-09-2010, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Just trying to give some suggestions. I don't know too much about Maxima's specifically, but some other cars to look that are simmilar are the 2003+ Infiniti G35 Sedans/Coupes, and the 2004 Acura TL's. The TL's have shown to have pretty solid reliability in a nice package.

Both cars would be a bit smaller on the inside than the Maxima though.

Yeah I looked at them too. Unfortunatel, they are out of my price range. Thanks anyways!

Disoblige
04-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Victor? Lol

diamondedge
04-09-2010, 09:49 AM
PAGING SHOKO

igotacookie
04-09-2010, 10:29 AM
if your worried about those problems and have limited funds perhaps a maxima isn't the vehicle for you.

If money is tight I only spend about half of what I can afford and save the rest for other expenses.

You say ur budget is 15k? Thats not going to get you anything super nice... spending 7 grand can still get you a very decent reliable used ride. Buy a nicer car later when you got the though.

Prostrho
04-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Are you looking for manual for auto? From description it sounds like its manual because u're talking about "grinding'. However the SL only comes with auto, SE comes with 6spd manual or auto.

the 04+ Maxima manual transmissions are relatively stout, they do not have 3rd gear grinding problems that the 02-03 ones have. They changed the syncro design for 04+. I wouldn't worry about the manual transmission if you are looking for 04-05.

If its auto transmission, I haven't heard of a problem with them, but regular maintenance is the key. Look for service records and ATF flush/fluid changes.

The powertrain warranty for Nissan is 5yr/100k, so u are correct that it is almost up. If there was still warranty, I'd assume the seller would get Nissan to repair the defect before he sells it, wouldn't you think? Doesn't help the selling price if its got a grinding transmission that could've been fixed for free.

viccor
04-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by igotacookie
if your worried about those problems and have limited funds perhaps a maxima isn't the vehicle for you.

If money is tight I only spend about half of what I can afford and save the rest for other expenses.

You say ur budget is 15k? Thats not going to get you anything super nice... spending 7 grand can still get you a very decent reliable used ride. Buy a nicer car later when you got the though.

Well, don't everyone worry about this kind of problems when they are buying a car? I'll be working soon (hopefully) and thought that I'd rather spend 15000 on a good car than buy an older car. From what I've seen on kijiji/autotrader 15000 can get me a Maxima with mentioned above milage.

viccor
04-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Prostrho
Are you looking for manual for auto? From description it sounds like its manual because u're talking about "grinding'. However the SL only comes with auto, SE comes with 6spd manual or auto.

the 04+ Maxima manual transmissions are relatively stout, they do not have 3rd gear grinding problems that the 02-03 ones have. They changed the syncro design for 04+. I wouldn't worry about the manual transmission if you are looking for 04-05.

If its auto transmission, I haven't heard of a problem with them, but regular maintenance is the key. Look for service records and ATF flush/fluid changes.

The powertrain warranty for Nissan is 5yr/100k, so u are correct that it is almost up. If there was still warranty, I'd assume the seller would get Nissan to repair the defect before he sells it, wouldn't you think? Doesn't help the selling price if its got a grinding transmission that could've been fixed for free.

Talking about Auto. 2004 maximas are known for their transmission from what I've read or I'm mistaking it for a manual transmission? LOL!!!

In my price range the milage I can get is close to 100k. From reading on the forums (nissanclub, maxima.org) they were saying that dealer fix them no problem but I worry about if it doesn't have that problem now and the rolls over 100k it will be out of my pocket to fix it.

kbye
04-09-2010, 09:56 PM
considered the accord? pretty reliable (no tranny problems as far as i know) and around the same price range. you said you want a car with least troubles, so why buy a car knowing that there are potential problems with it? :dunno: