PDA

View Full Version : Clunking noise from front of bike??

ekguy
04-09-2010, 12:38 PM
So bought a used norco 4hun. There's a clunking noise from the front of the bike which is driving me mad. Looked like the break was rubbing but it definitely wasn't since I took it off put the wheel back on and it's still doing it.

Have Marzocchi fork. Wheel looks straight.

HHURICANE1
04-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Check the head bearings to see if they are loose. If it isn't that it may be in the fork itself.

Mitsu3000gt
04-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Is it possible your fork is bottoming?

Unknown303
04-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Head bearings. Might just be loose so there's some play but there's a good chance if you have a clunk there's a crushed bearing.

A good way to check is to sit on the bike. Lock up your front brake and push forwards and barkwards to see if you can visually identify were the movement is coming from.

ekguy
04-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Gonna check those things. I really want to learn to fix most things myself on the bike. Seems fairly straight forward as well. Bought a nice set of screw drivers and a mini socket set for it today and started tearing some things apart and cleaning em and putting them back on. Went for a nice long ride almost seemed like at the end it wasn't making the noise anymore...But I could be mistaken.

Will look at those thing mentioned and see whats up.

But nothing like a nice long bike ride to remind me that I'm completely out of shape haha.

ekguy
04-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Tightened up a few things and seems to have gone away. Read on pinkbike and saw that when i bike sits for a while some things might be noisy for a bit and then work themselves out.

Took a few decent drops with it yesterday in and around fish creek and bike is straight as an arrow.

Thanks for the help guys.

:thumbsup: