PDA

View Full Version : men's cologne

CrazyDyde12
04-09-2010, 11:45 PM
So yeah...i've never really went out and bought my own cologne before, and im thinking of needing some, instead of using axe and shit.

I wondering where everyone buys there cologne, and maybe recommend some brands to stick to, maybe some buying tips?

swak
04-10-2010, 12:02 AM
Dont buy a cologne because of the 'brand'.. Buy what smells good.
Im not saying buy the cheapest stuff out there either, but buy what suits you best.

i like the 'David Beckham' - Instinct

JordanAndrew
04-10-2010, 12:05 AM
CK Eternity Summer

colt22
04-10-2010, 12:06 AM
dont bathe in it before leaving your house like a certain type of..er..nvm

mowglee
04-10-2010, 12:08 AM
Just go to the Bay or Sears. Find two that you really like and spray one on each wrist then smell them again after like 20 mins. Buy one thats light and summer-ish since summer is just around the corner.

A nice one for cheap is Clinique- Happy

Shogged
04-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by mowglee
Just go to the Bay or Sears. Find two that you really like and spray one on each wrist then smell them again after like 20 mins. Buy one thats light and summer-ish since summer is just around the corner.

A nice one for cheap is Clinique- Happy

this but don't spray it on your wrist, you'll look like a total tool. grab the paper they specifically give you to test smells and use it.

JustinGTP
04-10-2010, 12:15 AM
Why not? I spray it on my wrist or forearm because it smells different on you that it does on a piece of paper. Reacts to your natural oils etc. So, after 20 mins, if you still like the cologne, it's a go.

Mostwanted
04-10-2010, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by swak
Dont buy a cologne because of the 'brand'.. Buy what smells good.
Im not saying buy the cheapest stuff out there either, but buy what suits you best.

i like the 'David Beckham' - Instinct

currently using that cologne i think is the best

wintonyk
04-10-2010, 12:18 AM
my personal choice is lacoste sport

cjay^
04-10-2010, 12:20 AM
I have Armani Code and D&G The One. They both smell really good but I barely use either :nut:

JordanAndrew
04-10-2010, 12:42 AM
abercrombie and fitch cologne fierce is also pretty good.

sneek
04-10-2010, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew
abercrombie and fitch cologne fierce is also pretty good.

You should spray the cologne you want to buy on your wrist. Certain fragrances smell different on different people. This is especially evident on grapefruit like scents.

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
04-10-2010, 12:57 AM
Swiss Army Classic.
I don't know why, but girls REALLY like it. The big bottles are 30 bucks at Wal-mart.

JordanAndrew
04-10-2010, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by sneek

You should spray the cologne you want to buy on your wrist. Certain fragrances smell different on different people. This is especially evident on grapefruit like scents.

And you're telling me this because? :dunno:

adidas
04-10-2010, 08:01 AM
I read in a popular magazine once that the one that doesnt smell as good to you is the one you should buy.

So bring along ur female friends and let them decide what suits u the best.

Redlyne_mr2
04-10-2010, 08:37 AM
I really like Porsche Designs new scent. It's not overpowering and you don't smell like an aldo shoe salesman trying to get into the whiskey.

brucebanner
04-10-2010, 09:30 AM
I myself use Nautica Voyage and have been for a long while now.

G-ZUS
04-10-2010, 10:21 AM
Armani Code, Clinique Happy. also recommend trying Givenchy tt

sneek
04-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew

And you're telling me this because? :dunno:

haha I am not sure. I must have been tired and clicked qoute instead of reply. my bad.

know1edge
04-10-2010, 10:42 AM

Kennyredline
Make sure it's a scent that's "popular". I'm not suggesting you smell like everyone else, but years ago I had a favorite cologne, "Lagerfeld", I had the eau de toilet, the after shave, the powder...I loved the smell, and then they stopped making it.

bituerbo
I've got 2 right now.

Issey Miyake - L'Eau D'Issey (women like this)
Chanel Allure Sport (girls like this)

The Chanel is more for summer.

skandalouz_08
04-10-2010, 10:50 AM
porsche design is good. I also like some armani ones or check out the Justin Timberlake one, forget what its called, push?

Shunsui
04-10-2010, 12:47 PM
I have Armani code too but it's not a everyday cologne. I use lacoste essentials more and diesel fuel for live even more (my favorite). Just go to sears or the bay and just smell a bunch until you find one you like the most.

l/l/rX
04-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo
I've got 2 right now.

Issey Miyake - L'Eau D'Issey (women like this)
Chanel Allure Sport (girls like this)

The Chanel is more for summer.

I love my chanel one, but i also use kenzo power, has a cedar wood spice smell with a light floral scent, and its not overpowering but enough so when a girl is close to you she can smell it.

Bizzareo
04-10-2010, 02:13 PM
I make women choose for me, usually by getting 2 or 3 samples and asking the which one smells best. After asking 5 or 6 groups in a mall you will have your answer.

Nels
04-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Burberry Brit for me, nice and light

Graham_A_M
04-10-2010, 10:16 PM
Joop is a fun sporty type of cologne, different from everything out there. I typically use Dolche & Gabbana (regular). It has a very intriguing aroma most people really like.

Originally posted by Bizzareo
I make women choose for me, usually by getting 2 or 3 samples and asking the which one smells best. After asking 5 or 6 groups in a mall you will have your answer.
Very good idea. Head to the mall with a few chick friends and ask what compliments the best aspects of you.

Ukyo8
04-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by wintonyk
my personal choice is lacoste sport

:werd:

girls go pretty crazy for Adidas Moves too, it's cheap but smells damn good

CrazyDyde12
04-10-2010, 11:37 PM
nice good info here

so you just buy this stuff at like sears and the bay?

l/l/rX
04-11-2010, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by CrazyDyde12
nice good info here

so you just buy this stuff at like sears and the bay?

now...direct yourself to this thread here: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/299671/never-buy-cologne-perfume-from-department-stores-like-the-bay/

inline6turbo
04-11-2010, 03:53 AM
My favs on men would include the Armani, Adidas and Lacoste. I don't know what they put in those, but I know every time someones wearing any of them and it's just... wow...

CUG
04-11-2010, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by inline6turbo
My favs on men would include the Armani, Adidas and Lacoste. I don't know what they put in those, but I know every time someones wearing any of them and it's just... wow... That's a hell of an endorsement, guaranteed at least 10 dudes here will read that and go buy all three.

Me:
-Dunhill
-Jean Paul G
-Some old Ferrari shit (rarely)
-D&G
-Bvlgari <- That's potent as hell. I only hit my neck with a small shot of it and only if it's important.

dsr7723
04-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Jean-Paul Gaultier, really popular with the ladies.:thumbsup:

http://www.jeanpaulgaultier.com/

saiyajin
04-11-2010, 11:37 AM
FZOGWSk8sx0

Canucks3322
04-11-2010, 12:17 PM
^

"I find it funny that cologne rhymes with....alone."- Demetri Martin

HAHAH!!! Just don't put too much on like those freakin' douchbags.

gqmw
04-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Bvlgari or friends moschino is fantastic. Brit is dec I'm using it now, but I need a change soon.

oilerfan4lyfe
04-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Armani Code for going out...CK One for everyday use (work, school, etc.)

toyboy88
04-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Been using Givenchy Play and Lacoste Challenge the past couple weeks.

Destinova403
04-11-2010, 07:57 PM
I actually have 4 scents... like to keep it fresh

Burberry London
Gucci pour Homme II
1 Million by Paco Rabbane
Ferragamo Subtil Pour Homme

Takamine
04-12-2010, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by know1edge
yves saint laurent homme

+1 YSL rocks.

Speed_69
04-12-2010, 12:44 AM
My favorite is Armani Acqua Di Gio :thumbsup:

I also use:
Davidoff Cool Waters
Hollister Jake
True Religion Cologne for Men

Swank
04-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
Swiss Army Classic.
I don't know why, but girls REALLY like it. The big bottles are 30 bucks at Wal-mart.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. I've received 2 bottles of this as gifts and didn't think it smelled all that great, and it's kinda cheap stuff, but ladies are always giving me the *sniff, sniff, mmmmm* when I have it on :dunno:

That aside I've always liked the Kenzo line, and am currently using Mont Blanc Presence & Individuel.

beyond_ban
04-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Destinova403
I actually have 4 scents... like to keep it fresh

Burberry London
Gucci pour Homme II
1 Million by Paco Rabbane
Ferragamo Subtil Pour Homme

Haha, i have your top three. I love Paco sooo much.

After the gym i spray Axe chocolate (easy use). When i am going out i use the above mentioned or Lacoste Sport, Ferrari Black (rarely), Abercrombie Fierce and then i sometimes mix in some random Versace cologne that looks like this.

http://www.99perfume.com/image/JC138M.jpg

JfuckinC
04-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by dsr7723
Jean-Paul Gaultier, really popular with the ladies.:thumbsup:

http://www.jeanpaulgaultier.com/

Hellllllllll yeaaaaaaa
i don't even care what the ladies think cause that shit smells deeeeeeeeelish.
Have you ever worn it one night then smelled your shirt the next day? it smells even better :rofl: me and my friend both noticed that, since we both wear it. Like the longer it is on clothing the better it smells.

Quinsonaaa
04-12-2010, 09:45 AM
CK BE!

darkrider911
04-12-2010, 10:22 AM
There were a few I used to use on a regular basis but I've strained it down to 1 for now:

Kenneth Cole: Reaction(before they stopped selling it) <- Ladies surprisingly loved it, I always got compliments.
Calvin Klein: Euphoria is also a good one(there are a few different versions of it) and I get quite a few compliments about it(more from women aged 25-40).

know1edge
04-12-2010, 12:47 PM

Dizzydude101
04-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by darkrider911
Kenneth Cole: Reaction(before they stopped selling it)

:werd: I used to have it and it's some good smelling stuff. I use some Kenneth Cole New York right now. Keep an eye (nose?) open, a lot of companies will re-release the same scents (possibly changing a few ingredients) and call it something else.

Thanks for the tip for not buying at dept. stores!

KrisYYC
04-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Chrome by Azzaro always got good reactions for me.

When I bought it last the lady at the Bay hooked me up with literally dozens of sample bottles off all the good colognes out there which was sweet. Tons of Armani Code samples too.

swak
04-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by KrisYYC

This..
I got the Azzaro sampler pack, and that was always my favorite...

One question though,
Does cologne go bad?
I have a bottle from 3-4 years ago of Boss (dont know the line), but it almost smells as if the smell has faded, that could just be me though...

herragge
04-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Comme de Garcons. Any of the fragrances. Don't know where you can find it in Calgary but its a boutique fragrance that is hard to find. You can get it an Gravity Pope in Edmonton. I have also Thierry Mugler's B*Men for a more street scent for nights out, a bit more potent and in your face. Stick to one scent during the day though, gives you a distinct identity people recognize you with.

Ben
04-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Big fan of BVGARI Noir, somewhat similar to Chanel Allure Sport, citrus notes. Always get the "Ugh you smell so good" when I'm with my ladies.

JPG is my backup.

Used to big in with the Vanilla notes like BOSS Bottled, and Pi. Got tired of them.

cono_sur
04-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Clinique Happy and ArmaniMania are my favs.

vps
04-14-2010, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by KrisYYC

When I bought it last the lady at the Bay hooked me up with literally dozens of sample bottles off all the good colognes out there which was sweet. Tons of Armani Code samples too.

lol yeah, last time I bought a bottle of cologne at the bay the lady gave me 20+ samples, she even gave me like 8 samples of women's perfume to pass along to girls i knew.

but right now I find myself liking Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme.

psycoticclown
04-14-2010, 02:54 AM
Paco One Million
Yves St Laurent La Nuit
Jean Paul Gaulter

Neil4Speed
04-14-2010, 06:51 AM
Any of you guys using colognes like Creed or Kiton?

I prefer colognes from cologne houses like Chanel or Dior. Both really know how to make a dynamic cologne which has good longevity. The funny thing about cologne is that I think purely for getting compliments from ladies sometimes the cheap stuff works better than the "unique boutique" colognes. While your enjoying the nuances of Cardamon, Juniper, and the settling of floral notes with citrus (at first, you thought it was grapefruit, but now notice the key lime, and Brazilian lemon), some dude is being told how great his Addidas Moves smells.

Also, make sure you all leave your colognes in your bedroom, away from light, instead of the washroom, which really kills them.

Jenniewithaxe
04-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Did you know that AXE is made by the same exact perfumers that make all this high-end cologne? It may be low in price, but not quality! Have you tried the new AXE Twist? It changes over time to keep girls interested, check it out! http://bit.ly/bZdqmn

JfuckinC
04-14-2010, 02:18 PM
spambo

Marsh
04-15-2010, 06:48 PM
spray it on your skin, it will have a different scent on your skin than a piece of paper

Polo ralph lauren

signature7
04-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Acqua Di Gio by Armani is what I use.

I liked Higher by Dior, but I don't think they make it anymore.

Genma
04-15-2010, 07:07 PM
Buy what everyone buys as their furst cologne CK: One Ha!

trieuth
04-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Genma
Buy what everyone buys as their furst cologne CK: One Ha!
haha so true! that or polo sport

burberry classic for me.

LongCity
04-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Big fan of BVGARI Noir, somewhat similar to Chanel Allure Sport, citrus notes. Always get the &quot;Ugh you smell so good&quot; when I'm with my ladies.

JPG is my backup.

Used to big in with the Vanilla notes like BOSS Bottled, and Pi. Got tired of them.

Vanilla in Bottled? Are you sure hahah Pi has lots of vanilla as does JPG Le Male. Dolce & Gabbana The One is also quite vanilla-ey but extremely good! The thing with vanilla scents is that they are more geared towards colder weather so if you wear it in the heat, you'll feel sick cause it's too heavy.

Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Any of you guys using colognes like Creed or Kiton?

I prefer colognes from cologne houses like Chanel or Dior.

Also, make sure you all leave your colognes in your bedroom, away from light, instead of the washroom, which really kills them.

Creed is quite overpriced for how long it lasts in my opinion but the name is quite prestigious so :dunno:

The Chanel Allure line-up is really good but Dior Homme is disgusting! Smells exactly like lipstick. Dior Homme Sport on the other hand, smells really good - very similar to Givenchy Play but with more lemons. And yah, cologne should be kept away from heat, light, and humidity.

Ukyo8
04-15-2010, 08:29 PM
a few years ago I checked out a Diesel cologne in a store, and it smelled really good, but I didn't buy it.

It was a Diesel cologne in a solid white bottle, with a red label I think? anybody know what its called?

LongCity
04-15-2010, 08:54 PM
If it came in a milk carton it's called Diesel Plus Plus. Discontinued now but you can find it floating around online for like 20 bones.

slinkie
04-16-2010, 02:44 AM
didn't bother reading thread

terre d'hermes

best mens fragrance 08...09...

@holt
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OeBsEpr831Q/SuGayDdj19I/AAAAAAAAA-Y/7vwxJPYNB4c/s400/%27+Hermes.jpg

Neil4Speed
04-16-2010, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by slinkie
didn't bother reading thread

terre d'hermes

best mens fragrance 08...09...

@holt
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OeBsEpr831Q/SuGayDdj19I/AAAAAAAAA-Y/7vwxJPYNB4c/s400/%27+Hermes.jpg

Very highly regarded cologne, didn't smell right on me though, might be better suited for older people.