PDA

View Full Version : Full Synthetic Rotella T

StreetRacerX
04-10-2010, 05:11 PM
I've been looking around but haven't been able to find it, theres the regular stuff at Canadian Tire and Wal-Mart but I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Does someone know where i can pick up Full Synthetic Rotella T 10w-30 or if it comes in 5w-40 I suppose that would be fine as well.

FLARE
04-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Part source

old&slow
04-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Auto Value?

StreetRacerX
04-10-2010, 06:50 PM
I'll take a look at those places

thanks!

SKR
04-10-2010, 09:20 PM
I assume it's Shell Rotella T6 you're looking for? It looks like it only comes in 5W-40.

You might want to try heavy truck dealers.

Great West Kenworth
Calgary Peterbilt
New West Freightliner
Nortrux
Sterling Western Star Trucks
Sterling Trucks of Calgary

If not there, try some truck stops.

Zero102
04-11-2010, 11:21 AM
It is in the flyer this week for Canadian Tire

Pollywog
04-11-2010, 11:29 AM
PM'd - I can get you as much or as little as you'd like.

Weapon_R
04-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Just curious...but why this particular brand? I've seen it in the U.S. at various stores and Rotella is a budget brand. Their conventional oil sells for about the same price as Walmart's SuperTech oil.

Pollywog
04-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Just curious...but why this particular brand? I've seen it in the U.S. at various stores and Rotella is a budget brand. Their conventional oil sells for about the same price as Walmart's SuperTech oil.

Rotella..budget brand? lol

Its an ultra-heavy duty oil with insane anti-wear characteristics, soot control, etc for severe duty applications. It is also one of the few oils that now have a JASO MA rating. Google "T Million Milers" and see why its in such demand for commercial use. The only thing I've sold thats similar is Mobil Delvac, but Rotella is all I am usually ordering - and it aint cheap or "budget" by any means.

OP, what are you using this in? Diesel or motorcycle?

dsr7723
04-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog

Its an ultra-heavy duty oil with insane anti-wear characteristics, soot control, etc for severe duty applications. It is also one of the few oils that now have a JASO MA rating. Google "T Million Milers" and see why its in such demand for commercial use. The only thing I've sold thats similar is Mobil Delvac, but Rotella is all I am usually ordering - and it aint cheap or "budget" by any means.

X2

StreetRacerX
04-11-2010, 10:23 PM

OP, what are you using this in? Diesel or motorcycle?

Car

962 kid
04-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Because everyone on BITOG says to

Zero102
04-12-2010, 08:26 AM
I found my flyer and it is either $22 or $25 for a 4L of Rotella T 5W40 at Canadian Tire this week, pretty hard to argue for that price.

Pollywog
04-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by StreetRacerX

Car

Well then I wouldn't recommend it. Rotella T has a much higher phospherous and zinc content than other manufacturers, the build-up of which can be detrimental to catalytic converters and O2 sensors. Unless you are working with a high-horsepower flat tappet application, I would simply slap some Mobil1 in there and call it a day.

Cos
04-12-2010, 08:52 AM
I use T4 in my bike. I want to get some T6 for the next time as I think the 15 weight is a little heavy for me when I ride cold.

Pollywog, pm'd

StreetRacerX
04-12-2010, 02:45 PM

Well then I wouldn't recommend it. Rotella T has a much higher phospherous and zinc content than other manufacturers, the build-up of which can be detrimental to catalytic converters and O2 sensors. Unless you are working with a high-horsepower flat tappet application, I would simply slap some Mobil1 in there and call it a day.

The reason I wish to use Rotella T is because of its anti-wear characteristics, I don't have to worry about catalytic converter's in the vehicle I'm using it in.

Also after seeing multiple Blackstone analysis I wouldn't recommend using Mobil 1

I've always felt Mobil 1 went downhill pretty quick... Here's a Blackstone chart (I know you guys love this stuff ) Left is Shell Rotella-T @ 8100 miles, second column is the avg., and the third column is Mobil 1 @ 2600 miles.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7575/20081012by6cw5.gif

Sorry for the mondo picture.

Pollywog
04-12-2010, 03:03 PM
^^ I was more so using "Mobil" in regards to using something other than the Rotella. From what you have posted above, the Rotella seems like a good bet.

Zero102
04-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by StreetRacerX

The reason I wish to use Rotella T is because of its anti-wear characteristics, I don't have to worry about catalytic converter's in the vehicle I'm using it in.

Also after seeing multiple Blackstone analysis I wouldn't recommend using Mobil 1

I've always felt Mobil 1 went downhill pretty quick... Here's a Blackstone chart (I know you guys love this stuff ) Left is Shell Rotella-T @ 8100 miles, second column is the avg., and the third column is Mobil 1 @ 2600 miles.

I don't see anything wrong with the Mobil numbers. For an engine with 34,000mi on it (~50,000km) that is a reasonable copper number especially if you had added an oil cooler as their response suggests. Without TBN on the Mobil samples it is hard to really tell how it is holding up.

I am not saying Mobil is better than Rotella, I am just saying there is really nothing wrong with Mobil.

That said, I use Amsoil right now so I have no attachment to either of those 2 oils. In my past car I was able to stretch the OCI out to ~21,000km on Amsoil and when I sent a sample off to be analyzed it still came back suitable for continued use.