PDA

View Full Version : Wardrobe Downtown

msommers
04-10-2010, 06:34 PM
I know things are more casual now, but what kinda stuff should I pick up? It's just a summer student position but I'll need the same stuff when I graduate and sure as hell aren't going to get any taller lol. Where would you guys suggest for moderate quality business clothes like shirts, pants, etc? I don't think I need a suit. Are there any rules I should know, other than same colour belt and shoes?

Thanks guys.

Canucks3322
04-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Definitely DO NOT wear a suit especially if you're in a low position, you will look like a douchebag.

Zara, Mexx, Gap are good places for cheap work clothes that look good.

Also heard Banana Replublic Outlet was good but the stuff fits large so if you're a larger frame it's good.

Also, for the summer, a polo shirt is good with slacks and loafers.

FiveFreshFish
04-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Casual shirts should have collars. In some workplaces that are less formal, collarless is okay.

Speed_69
04-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Pretty much all of my work clothes are from Mexx. Great quality stuff but I wouldn't consider it cheap.

Rule: No White socks with black dress shoes

darthVWader
04-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Law or Oil n Gas?

JustinGTP
04-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Also, belt colour must match shoe colour.

But don't be a douchebag with white shoes and belt on black pants! Absolute no no.

GQBalla
04-10-2010, 10:13 PM
banana republic is where i do most of my dress clothes shopping.

check out maxwell tailors when they come in for dress shirts, only place where ill get dress shirts now since i dont have a standard body shape.

msommers
04-11-2010, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by darthVWader
Law or Oil n Gas?

O&G.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and tips.

no_joke
04-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Just get the basics that will be versatile. I remember when I first starting working in an office, the dress code was much less strict as I had thought. I bought some dress shirts and pants that I never wore to work. Just check out what your co-workers and mainly what other people at the same level as you are wearing and go from there. Hit up the mall on the weekend. H&M, Zara, Gap, Mexx- quality is decent.

Canucks3322
04-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by JustinGTP
Also, belt colour must match shoe colour.

But don't be a douchebag with white shoes and belt on black pants! Absolute no no.

HAHA! Yes, DO NOT dress like you are going to the bar no matter what it is....this one douche at my work used to wear Diesel polo shirts to work, and they were skin tight and had designs on them.

GQBalla
04-11-2010, 06:35 PM
lol on casual fridays i wear what i wear when i go out.

hehe

but i dont dress like a douche anyways

darthVWader
04-11-2010, 07:12 PM
O&G is easy just dress like a golfer and you will pass.
Polo shirts and dress pants or dress shirt and pants.
After a couple of days you will have a good feel for what will fly.

Canucks3322
04-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
lol on casual fridays i wear what i wear when i go out.

hehe

but i dont dress like a douche anyways

What I meant was don't dress like you're a douche going to a douchey bar haha....

Mitsu3000gt
04-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Banana Republic's regular 40% off sales. Lots of good business casual stuff in there, dress sweaters, etc. Their sales are so frequent I don't understand why people buy stuff there for full price.

If you are going to the states anytime soon, just hit up the outlet stores as well, I was buying pants for $25 instead of $100+ up here for the identical product.

Sometimes you can find some surprisingly decent stuff for cheap at Winners as well.

If there is one thing I've learned, its never pay anywhere near retail for any dress clothes.

msommers
04-12-2010, 04:57 PM
I went to BR yesterday and found quite a few shirts I liked! But at 95 bucks I'm gonna have to wait until those sales pop up

blitz
04-16-2010, 11:19 PM
Check out the BR Outlet at Cross Iron Mills, some good deals there.

msommers
04-17-2010, 04:32 PM
I signed up for their mailing list to get a heads up about future sales. Turns out you get a 20% off coupon just for signing up, I might just sign up with 3-4 accounts each time I want to go grab something.

broken_legs
04-17-2010, 09:17 PM
Make sure if you are going to wear dress pants you get flat front. Pleats are old man style.

msommers
04-27-2010, 02:16 PM
Just a heads up. The Bay has a big sale going on, plus if you sign up for some discount card you get 10% more off.

Also, banana republic jas 25% off right now and can be combined with the 20% coupon from email!

Tomaz
04-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs
Make sure if you are going to wear dress pants you get flat front. Pleats are old man style.

WHAT?!?!?! Since when?!?!?! ;)

Polo shirts + pants = win

Do's:
-Polo
-Pants/Slacks
-Button-up shirts
-loafers
-casual dress shoes
-Golf shirts

Dont's:
-button-up short sleeve
-sneakers
-denim
-t-shirts
-see-through/mesh
-baggy clothing
-make-up (for you EMO kids out there)
-shaggy hair
-full suit
-those stupid elf dress shoes with pointed toes... seriously
-piercings

Exceptions for casual friday:
-nice, tasteful t-shirts
-polos
-denim (no tears or rips)
-CLEAN sneakers

If you are as classy as I am, you should be able to wear your regular clothes to work. :D ;)

Majestic12
04-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz

Dont's:

-see-through/mesh

Mesh shirts are appropriate ANYDAY, ANYTIME.

http://www.wearmoi.co.uk/acatalog/mesh_t_shirt_detail.jpg

Speed_69
04-27-2010, 05:39 PM

Dont's:
-button-up short sleeve
-sneakers
-denim
-t-shirts
-see-through/mesh
-baggy clothing
-make-up (for you EMO kids out there)
-shaggy hair
-full suit
-those stupid elf dress shoes with pointed toes... seriously
-piercings

What's wrong with piercings? It's 2010...it's accepted in the work place now. I wear mine to work everyday and to my interviews.

93VR6
04-27-2010, 06:39 PM
If I were conducting an interview with two equal candidates where one had piercings and the other did not, the guy without is getting the job everytime.

thrasher22
04-28-2010, 02:24 AM
This thread makes me so glad I'm a designer :D haaaaaate dressing up.

If you want to get some standard looking dress clothes but are on a budget, check out Superstore. Actually. They have decent clothes for cheap that look like standard office attire.

I heard the other day the Banana Republic in Crossiron Mills has some pretty big deals right now.

msommers
04-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Where do you guys pick up your dress shoes? And what brands should I look out for?

I'm noticing some of the really cheap looking shoes are like 200 bucks. I found a pair at the Bay that were doable for now considering the price. But as she was in the back I googled the brand on my phone and it seemed quite a few people were avidly against them! I think the brand was Florheism (sp)?

I found a pair of Cole Haan's at Town Shoes, need to look into these more. I really liked the style so I'm hoping the quality is there. Opinions? P.S. Doesn't a beyonder work at one?

I really don't want to spend 400 bucks on shoes. Shoe styles come and go, and right now I just can't afford it. But at the same time, I'll spend more to avoid the garbage.

Weapon_R
04-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Quality is crap on Cole Haans. They are overpriced. You want something like Allen Edmonds if you want them to last and want an excellent shoe.

bulaian
04-28-2010, 09:42 PM
I buy my dress shoes from Aldo, most are less than $80 there

msommers
04-28-2010, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Quality is crap on Cole Haans. They are overpriced. You want something like Allen Edmonds if you want them to last and want an excellent shoe.

I was afraid of this. Down to O'connors I go I guess.

msommers
04-29-2010, 04:04 PM
Well I found a pair of AE's that I like and fit extremely well. I came home to look for them online and it seems they are discontinued. O'Connors is asking full retail still, $395. I've never bought anything from there but this seems kinda ridiculous to pay that much for a discontinued product. And what about parts if something needs to be repaired!

I've never bought anything from there, so I'm not familiar with how things work. But it seems that I should be asking for a hefty discount on a discontinued product. Am I out to lunch here?

JfuckinC
04-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by thrasher22
This thread makes me so glad I'm a designer :D haaaaaate dressing up.

ahh yess, the good life.

ercchry
04-29-2010, 04:15 PM

Dont's:
-sneakers
-denim
-t-shirts
-shaggy hair

i break these rules almost daily :D

good thing no one gives a shit around here haha... if i was in sales it would be different though

EDIT: i looove wearing my 1.5yr old nudies with a dress sirt hahaha

...tomorrow im wearing shorts... but it is beach day... fun office huh?

A790
05-02-2010, 06:02 PM
If you are as classy as I am, you should be able to wear your regular clothes to work. :D ;)
Quit lying to people ;)

Someone once told me to dress for the job you want to have. I wear a suit every day. It works out well :)

Weapon_R
05-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Well I found a pair of AE's that I like and fit extremely well. I came home to look for them online and it seems they are discontinued. O'Connors is asking full retail still, $395. I've never bought anything from there but this seems kinda ridiculous to pay that much for a discontinued product. And what about parts if something needs to be repaired!

I've never bought anything from there, so I'm not familiar with how things work. But it seems that I should be asking for a hefty discount on a discontinued product. Am I out to lunch here?

Not out to lunch, but they will sell them at the price they want. Find the size and order online. Discontinued AE's can be bought for as little as $150 or less.