PDA

View Full Version : Cheap(er) Guinness

Zero102
04-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Just wondering if there are any liquor stores in particular that are cheaper than others for Guinness? I went to a couple stores near my house and they are all ~$3/bottle and since I'm a cheap ass that likes chocolate flavored bog-water (or so I have been told) I am trying to track it down for a bit less.

Anybody have any tips for a liquor store that has cheap(er) Guinness?
Alternatively, since I am not terribly experienced in the world of stout, I would also be open to other beers which are very similar to Guinness but more reasonably priced :)

BigDaftAL
04-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Midnight Sun by the Yukon brewing company is a good easily available stout, it's a bit darker and heavier than Guiness and it's totally delicious.

Now the math; it's $14 for a sixer at Co-op ($2.33 per bottle). It's also six percent alcohol whereas Guiness is 4.1, which works out as 81mls of alcohol in a six pack (330mls per bottle) of Guiness versus 118.8mls of alcohol in the Midnight Sun. Assuming Guiness is $16 for a six pack that's 19.75 cents per ml of alcohol, the Midnight Sun is 11.78 cents per ml of alcohol.

Peche Mortel by Dieu du Ceil brewpub is available at Willow Park and is an expensive $18 per sixer, however not only is it probably one of the best Canadian beers (Ratebeer.com, beeradvocate.com) it is 9% alcohol, which works out as a whopping 178.2mls of alcohol per 6 pack and 10.1 cents per ml of alcohol.

Used to be a poor Chemistry student. Hope this helps.

Boosted_TL
04-12-2010, 12:56 PM
You wont really find much of a drastic price difference with an import like that, but Superstore Liquor is def your best bet!

In the import world, nothing really touches Guinness. Kilkenny and Smithwicks are close, but not entirely. I would choose Kilkenny over Guinness but there is no real price difference.

I think Big Rock does a few stouts, but you cant match Imports quality imo!

Oh and by the way...thanks! I am now very thirsty at work!!

:D

BigDaftAL
04-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks to the Microbrewery movement there are many, many better beers available in Canada and the US than Guinness/Kilkenny/Smithwicks.

Lots of these beers, including Guinness stout are brewed in Canada under license for the North American market and sold at import prices which doesn't seem very fair to me.

nonlinear
04-12-2010, 01:43 PM
best stout in Calgary: Amsterdam Rhino's Black Pilsner. (yes, they call it a pils, but it's actually a stout). i don't think you'll find it anywhere for cheaper than guiness, though.

if you like guiness, i would try and broaden your horizons a bit. guiness is like the molson canadian of stouts.

Cos
04-12-2010, 02:01 PM
okanagan springs makes a good dark beer. Cant remember the name right now.

ExtraSlow
04-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Your best bet is to hit up a good liquor store and ask the staff what they would recommend. CSN or willow park have well trained staff that can steer you towards some truly excellent western Canadian beers. Any decent pub bartender should be knowledgeable about this as well. Try asking around.
In the end, you'll need to try a few to see what tickles your fancy.
And don't worry about beer snobs that think only "import" beer is worth drinking. There is no such thing as one beer being "better" than another. Just ones that you prefer.

Wrinkly
04-12-2010, 03:04 PM
I was pleasantly surprised by Sobey's liquor store prices recently. I don't know about beers - didn't look at those, but they were $12.00 per bottle less than Crowfoot Liquor for Remy Martin Champagne Cognac and on par or slightly better with some of my regular wines. On top of that they gave me a free bottle bag plus a 5% discount for buying six bottles at once.

I like Guiness, too. Don't know where it's cheapest though, as I don't buy it often. Another Guiness style stout that's really good but rare here, is Pedigree (also British) so probably more expensive.

Not a stout - but if you like Guiness, try "Newcastle Brown"

darthVWader
04-12-2010, 03:14 PM
http://www.bigrockbeer.com/#/beer/mcnallysreserve

msommers
04-12-2010, 04:08 PM
What would you guys recommend for stouts? I like Guiness and I'll definitely try new beers but never know which ones are good

civic_stylez
04-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Boosted_TL
You wont really find much of a drastic price difference with an import like that, but Superstore Liquor is def your best bet!

In the import world, nothing really touches Guinness. Kilkenny and Smithwicks are close, but not entirely. I would choose Kilkenny over Guinness but there is no real price difference.

I think Big Rock does a few stouts, but you cant match Imports quality imo!

Oh and by the way...thanks! I am now very thirsty at work!!

:D

Superstore is by far the best... im chronically addicted to Guinness or the "bog water". superstore is where i buy i buy my black gold. And i too am heading home for a Guinness after work.....

BigDaftAL
04-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Does the inclusion of Math make my post invisible?
Good Stouts to try (although apparently there's no such thing as better beer)
Canadian
Wildrose Alberta Crude (Calgary)
Big Rock McNally's Reserve (Calgary)
Deiu du Ceil Aphrodisiaque (Montreal)
DDC Peche Mortal (Montreal)
Half Pints Stir Stick Stout (Winnepeg)
American
Rogue Shakespeare Stout (Portland)
Northcoast Old Rasputin (Fort Bragg, ca)

Prelude_dude
04-12-2010, 04:28 PM
im a big guiness fan also, love the taste, but a cheaper alternative if going to earls, is their albino rhino dark ale... i love that stuff, on wednesdays its like 3.00+ for a pint, good stuff, very chocolaty taste, cant' go wrong with it when ur at earls, i drink that stuff by the pitcher lol

edit: oh its only offered at earls, i can't find it anywhere else anyways

TKRIS
04-12-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
if you like guiness, i would try and broaden your horizons a bit. guiness is like the molson canadian of stouts.

Agreed.

For a reasonable price, I used to like St.Ambroise Oatmeal Stout.

tenth
04-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by BigDaftAL
Does the inclusion of Math make my post invisible?
Good Stouts to try (although apparently there's no such thing as better beer)
Canadian
Wildrose Alberta Crude (Calgary)
Big Rock McNally's Reserve (Calgary)
Deiu du Ceil Aphrodisiaque (Montreal)
DDC Peche Mortal (Montreal)
Half Pints Stir Stick Stout (Winnepeg)
American
Rogue Shakespeare Stout (Portland)
Northcoast Old Rasputin (Fort Bragg, ca)
Good list, and I liked the math breakdown. Would add Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout to the American list, which is available at Willow Park.

The Okanagan Springs Porter is worth a try as well, although not a stout.

AaronK
04-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Midnight Sun by the Yukon brewing company is a good easily available stout, it's a bit darker and heavier than Guiness and it's totally delicious.

Now the math; it's $14 for a sixer at Co-op ($2.33 per bottle). It's also six percent alcohol whereas Guiness is 4.1, which works out as 81mls of alcohol in a six pack (330mls per bottle) of Guiness versus 118.8mls of alcohol in the Midnight Sun. Assuming Guiness is $16 for a six pack that's 19.75 cents per ml of alcohol, the Midnight Sun is 11.78 cents per ml of alcohol.

Peche Mortel by Dieu du Ceil brewpub is available at Willow Park and is an expensive $18 per sixer, however not only is it probably one of the best Canadian beers (Ratebeer.com, beeradvocate.com) it is 9% alcohol, which works out as a whopping 178.2mls of alcohol per 6 pack and 10.1 cents per ml of alcohol.

Agreed on the Midnight Sun, I am from Whitehorse, Yukon and I love all the beers brewed by the Yukon Brewery!

Zero102
04-13-2010, 01:53 PM

Awesome post, you echo the way I usually think :) $/mL of alcohol is a very important factor when choosing booze.

It sounds like other stouts are also equally priced so I can't do a whole lot to get cheaper stout. I'll check out the superstore liquor store as well. I found usually they were more expensive than my local store on hard liquor but perhaps they are cheaper on Guinness.

Thanks for all the input :D