PDA

View Full Version : Dbag plowed into girlfirends car while hammered, runs. Advice?

spike98
04-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Here is the story:

At about 3am yesturday morning, some douche canoe in a 1999 ford pickup smashed into the ol ladies friends car at a high rate of speed. The initial collision resulted in the friends car being pushed 6-8ft and right into the back of the girls car.

Realizing he is going to get as raped by the long dick of the law, said douche canoe, tries to take off. Only to have his vehicle come to a crawl and stop a half a block away. Thinking about how his actions up to now may get him some unwanted loving from a man named "Tiny" in the luxorious "Vertical Bar Hotel" the man uses his quick thinking and decided it was smart to run, on foot.

As a result, the suspected crack head lady living in the shanty on the corner, hears the commotion and alerted a police officer in the mids of giving another unrelated bag licker a DUI around the corner and calls it in. Plus one K9 unit...

After a search, the mean as fuck police dog finds the assclown and the police get some pretty bracellets on the dude.

After all is said and done, the 26 year old darwin award canidate, receives charges of impaired driving, exceding 0.08, dangerous driving and leaving the scene of an accident.

Now the lovely MHPS wont disclose NOTHING to the ol lady. No report, nothing. The Officer in charge of the case is on days off untill friday. FRIDAY! She cant start the ball rolling on insurance or anything untill she gets this information.

She also doesnt have collision. She drove a 2003 cavi that wasnt worth much, didnt see the point.

The tools truck was also not even his, he had his dads truck that i can only assume was insured (and lives in manitoba). Or else a invalid insurance ticket would have been issued.

What are her rights in this situation? How can she obtain the information for insurance purposes?

If the dbags insurance wont cover anything, what can she do?

She is lost, carless and to make matters worse, im sure she is starting to PMS.

If anyone can offer some words of wisdom she, and consiquentially myself, would greatly appreciate it!

Sorath
04-12-2010, 12:52 PM
you are sol. insurance companies dont cover if driver was under the influence. so she can't claim the guys insurance, and since she doesnt have collision she can't claim her own, try and sue the guy i guess :dunno:

norbel
04-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
you are sol. insurance companies dont cover if driver was under the influence. so she can't claim the guys insurance, and since she doesnt have collision she can't claim her own, try and sue the guy i guess :dunno:
they wont cover YOU if your driving drunk. But they will cover any one elses damage.

beyond_ban
04-12-2010, 12:55 PM

If this is true, that is the most flawed system ever.

FraserB
04-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by norbel

they wont cover YOU if your driving drunk. But they will cover any one elses damage.

QFT.

If person A drives drunk and hits person B, person A's damage not covered but person B's is.

Tik-Tok
04-12-2010, 12:59 PM

Surprisingly, even though it says right in the insurance policy that they WON'T cover for DUI, I've known several people who's insurance companies have covered their liability in the same situations (minus the running away part)

Cos
04-12-2010, 01:01 PM

From what I understand Norbel is right. OP you have to call the case officer and get the guys insurance info so you can start the process.

CUG
04-12-2010, 01:05 PM
you are sol. insurance companies dont cover if driver was under the influence. so she can't claim the guys insurance, and since she doesnt have collision she can't claim her own, try and sue the guy i guess :dunno: That's extremely bad information, I might stop giving it out. IF they didn't cover drunk driving incidents, why do your rates hit astronomical levels if you've had a DUI?

spike98
04-12-2010, 01:10 PM

This is what i understand is the case.

Originally posted by Cos

From what I understand Norbel is right. OP you have to call the case officer and get the guys insurance info so you can start the process.

The case officer is on days off untill friday. Do you think their is another way to get the info?

Kloubek
04-12-2010, 01:12 PM
As long as his vehicle had insurance, she will be covered... regardless of whether he was drinking or not.

If it didn't, then she would have to sue for damages.

Cos
04-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by spike98

This is what i understand is the case.

The case officer is on days off untill friday. Do you think their is another way to get the info?

No you have to wait

Weapon_R
04-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Just wait. In the meantime, get a rental and have his insurance company pay for it. The adjuster has to cover your reasonable expenses.

Otherwise, if you are in a rush, hire a lawyer and he/she can get it for you, but I doubt you'll get it by Friday.

USED1
04-12-2010, 01:23 PM
This situation happened to my brother, sans guy running away, and it took forever for insurance to pay up as the person went to court for the DUI so insurance did not want to pay until a final ruling. At the end of the day their insurance covers the victim but not them.

DayGlow
04-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Did the old lady get a file number? If so provide that to your insurance company. If they say they want the actual report, if she didn't recieve the collision report that night, tell your insurance company that's why you pay them the big bucks so they do the running around, not you. They can get the report with the file number.

Supa Dexta
04-12-2010, 02:56 PM
I had the exact same situation, only I had NO insurance, and the guy got away...

In the end I did find out who did it and pointed the police in his direction, after that they gave me his info and I took him to the cleaners.

spike98
04-12-2010, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow
Did the old lady get a file number? If so provide that to your insurance company. If they say they want the actual report, if she didn't recieve the collision report that night, tell your insurance company that's why you pay them the big bucks so they do the running around, not you. They can get the report with the file number.

She contacted the officer that is lead on the case. He told her straight out that she, nor the insurance company will get anything untill friday. He hasnt finished the report on the accident. Apparently he needs her testimony.

I find this unusual since she wasnt even home at the time at the accident. He even asked her if she was driving, which to me is another red flag.

Something seems funny about everything. I am getting her a rental and will be forwarding the cost on to this guys insurance company once we have the information. I as well as she will be pissed if this guy has no insurance.

I am not happy about the situation at all. The douche that hit her car is becoming less and less of the villan here. The front desk officer was such a dick to her, he made her cry. :whipped:

Xtrema
04-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Cases like this is why you buy comprehensive.

Let the insurance company to figure out who should pay for what. A lot less headaches.

Zero102
04-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Let the insurance company to figure out who should pay for what. A lot less headaches.

Comprehensive covers fire/theft/vandalism. Useless here.

For the OP, you are in a bit of a bind. It is normal for the police to take a couple of days to provide a police report. Usually you would get it from the police at the scene but it sounds like the process got stretched out because your GF was not at the scene.

Wait until friday, get the information and call the guy's insurance company to start a claim. Since she didn't have collision her insurance company will likely not do anything for her, but she should notify them anyways. Sometimes they will be nice and write you a letter of demand to forward to the other insurance company.

FiveFreshFish
04-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Cases like this is why you buy collision.

Fixed.

tom_9109
04-12-2010, 05:32 PM
The drunk guys insurance will pay for your damages regardless of his being under the influence. Tell your gf to relax, and wait until you get the other guys insurance info and contact them when you can. If your car is drivable, drive it. If it isn't get a rental or borrow a car.

You have to understand that the cop has a huge file on this one and the collision is the smallest part of it. Sit tight, relax and wait. As long as he has insurance there is nothing to worry about.

gracehanson
04-12-2010, 07:05 PM
u cant cuss the drunk guy for runnin. there was pressure on him :dunno:

spike98
04-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by gracehanson
u cant cuss the drunk guy for runnin. there was pressure on him :dunno:

Pressure? Your prolly the pussy in question....well you sound just as intelligent.

ralliart_girl
04-12-2010, 07:30 PM
k, lets get something straight here. Driving drunk, doesn't make someone automatically at fault for an accident. So, the claim adjusters that are going to be involved, will settle liability based on the actually facts of the accident. If there is a drunk driver involved..it can make things a little more drawn out. Typically, the drunk driver isn't too willing to co-operate with their insurance company, which makes it hard for them to accept liability.

No collision does suck, but because there were was an additional vehicle involved in the accident, it means there is automatic witness in your gf's favor. Hopefully, the guy's insurance company will be easy to deal with. DUIs would only affect the coverage for the drunk party, and not the person they hit, it's called absolute liability.

westbeach70
04-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Welcome to our beautiful city of Medicine Hat.. .Suprised the cop didn't show up on a bloody petal bike the way they are these days.. But yeah the guys insurance company should cover it, if not sue the guy...

From my dealings with the MHPS in the past week I am not going to comment any further..

Hope all works out tho.....

psycoticclown
04-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Not always, a 2003 Chevy Cavalier fetches what... $2000-$3500? If your younger, full comprehensive insurance costs roughly $2000 a year at least. My friend pays $2900 a year for a 2004 Sunfire. So it's not worth it because in a year, you're probably paying what the cars worth, 2 years you pay more than what the cars worth, chances of you needing comprehensive is low too.

Zero102
04-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by ralliart_girl
k, lets get something straight here. Driving drunk, doesn't make someone automatically at fault for an accident.

No, crashing into a parked car on the other hand does ;)

As for not carrying collision coverage, I agree it would be stupid to carry such coverage on such a low-value car.
IMO just go replace the car, you can almost be guaranteed that they will write it off in the end anyways. It is cheaper to pay the interest on a loan / line of credit and pay to replace the car now then pay it off once you get paid back later than it is to pay for a rental car the entire time. This way if the other insurance company decides to shaft you (not all insurance companies will pay for a rental car) then you don't lose as much money.

spike98
04-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by westbeach70
Welcome to our beautiful city of Medicine Hat.. .Suprised the cop didn't show up on a bloody petal bike the way they are these days.. But yeah the guys insurance company should cover it, if not sue the guy...

From my dealings with the MHPS in the past week I am not going to comment any further..

Hope all works out tho.....

I have lived in the hat for 27 years. I know how the MHPS work. Ive had a gun pointed at the back of my head for drinking on the front lawn of my parents place, yet with video evidence, the cops cant charge a bat shit crazy ex for keying my car. Useless twats...

Originally posted by psycoticclown

Not always, a 2003 Chevy Cavalier fetches what... $2000-$3500? If your younger, full comprehensive insurance costs roughly $2000 a year at least. My friend pays $2900 a year for a 2004 Sunfire. So it's not worth it because in a year, you're probably paying what the cars worth, 2 years you pay more than what the cars worth, chances of you needing comprehensive is low too.

Thats exactly her reasoning behind it. KBB for her car says its worth $4000. It would cost her $600 for basic insurance and $1500 for full coverage.

I know accidents happen, but she is an excellent driver and the chances of her causing an accident is almost nil. She is one of the very few woman drivers i know that i trust.

Originally posted by Zero102

No, crashing into a parked car on the other hand does ;)

As for not carrying collision coverage, I agree it would be stupid to carry such coverage on such a low-value car.
IMO just go replace the car, you can almost be guaranteed that they will write it off in the end anyways. It is cheaper to pay the interest on a loan / line of credit and pay to replace the car now then pay it off once you get paid back later than it is to pay for a rental car the entire time. This way if the other insurance company decides to shaft you (not all insurance companies will pay for a rental car) then you don't lose as much money.

This is the plan, we are going to look at cars tomorrow night i think. She has decided she will lease brand new. She is becoming a realitor and needs a decent reliable car. With a lease she gets some good tax benifits from it.

syeve
04-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by ralliart_girl
k, lets get something straight here. Driving drunk, doesn't make someone automatically at fault for an accident. So, the claim adjusters that are going to be involved, will settle liability based on the actually facts of the accident. If there is a drunk driver involved..it can make things a little more drawn out. Typically, the drunk driver isn't too willing to co-operate with their insurance company, which makes it hard for them to accept liability.

No collision does suck, but because there were was an additional vehicle involved in the accident, it means there is automatic witness in your gf's favor. Hopefully, the guy's insurance company will be easy to deal with. DUIs would only affect the coverage for the drunk party, and not the person they hit, it's called absolute liability.

What? Did you read the thread at all?