PDA

View Full Version : how to tell if fork seal(s) leaking?

r0g3r
04-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Hi so I am looking to buying a bike and the bike I saw was great and all but there's something that caught my eye.

one of the seals was darker than the other so i just touched the top and it was dirty. Is this a sign that the fork seal is leaking?

If so how much is it to repair this?

thank you for your help

Masked Bandit
04-12-2010, 01:39 PM
I would say there is a good chance that they are leaking and in need of repair. The current owner probably just cleaned it up as best he could.

You're probably looking at a couple of hundred dollars for an average bike but I wouldn't cancel the deal just on that. Use it as a negotiating tool. Also check the front brake pads. Sometimes if the seals have leaked enough fluid they can get on the pads reducing their braking ability.

What's the bike?

r0g3r
04-12-2010, 01:43 PM
yamaha fzr600

How can I check the front brake pads? Whats a way to measure how much is left anyway?

Graham_A_M
04-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
I would say there is a good chance that they are leaking and in need of repair. The current owner probably just cleaned it up as best he could.

You're probably looking at a couple of hundred dollars for an average bike but I wouldn't cancel the deal just on that. Use it as a negotiating tool. Also check the front brake pads. Sometimes if the seals have leaked enough fluid they can get on the pads reducing their braking ability.

What's the bike?

This. The fork fluid will seriously decrease the bikes stopping ability, particularily if the fluid recently was in contact with the pads . Fork seals go often unfortunately, for bikes over 10 years old, its to be expected. Yeah you can expect to replace both, a bike repair shop such as Redline motorsports will charge you from $300-500 to replace both. You can just replace the front brake pads yourself, its not hard at all.

r0g3r
04-12-2010, 03:35 PM
hmmm okay maybe I can try to negotiate with the guy selling it.

I've already gotten him to lower the price but I don't know if he will go any lower.

Also, do any of you know where I can do a history report check using the VIN of the bike?? I wanna make sure it's not salvaged or something.

thank you again

Graham_A_M
04-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Ask where the bike was originally purchased, and call them up for a full service history report. (You should do that anyway to get a feel for how it was maintained). Perhaps a registry can do an exhaustive search to see the full registration history of the bike.

craigcd
04-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Fork seals arent hard to do- they are a bit of a hassle because you need to support the bikes front end to remove and the oil is nasty. They pretty much come apart and go back together the same way and seals and dust seals are likely less than $100. The other option is using a feeler gauge or business card and cleaning out the seal and topping the fluid- this doesnt work if it has been leaking alot.