PDA

View Full Version : Ever been to Singapore?

5gluder
12-07-2003, 07:28 PM
My father is going to stop off there for a couple days. Is there any imteresting areas he should check out? or any products worth buying?

thanks

Ben
12-07-2003, 07:30 PM
My uncle went there a number of years back and said their markets are amazing, also, check out the precious stones if you can find them. I got a whole bunch of Saphires from there.

tulit
12-07-2003, 07:31 PM
Awesome place.

Sentosa Island definately something for him to check out.

Think of the city itself as a really upscale north american city. Downtown has all the same shops/franchises we have here. Things like that aren't exactly cheaper there though. But if you want him to bring you gifts, at least most of the stuff is familiar.

I bought lots of camera stuff (cheaper there) but thats about it...

szw
12-07-2003, 07:34 PM
www.sggirls.com
:D home of cameraphone toting perverts!

there is also a forum there too so you can ask them

tulit
12-07-2003, 07:35 PM
www.sggirls.com

there is also a forum there too so you can ask them

haha yeah forgot. Yeah the chicks are smoking and the clubs are crazy......

/////AMG
12-07-2003, 08:44 PM
Sentosa Island is awesome, that is one of the places he should go to. The markets are good too, you can find good deals at some places on electronics. Make sure he DOES NOT chew gum lol, or he'll get fined. It's illegal to chew gum, thats one of the reasons why Singapore is so damn clean.
Hope he enjoys his stay.

Oh if he is a soccer fan go check out the 'Manchester United' Store there.:thumbsup:

FiveFreshFish
12-07-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Porsche_944
Make sure he DOES NOT chew gum lol, or he'll get fined. It's illegal to chew gum, thats one of the reasons why Singapore is so damn clean.

Actually, it's illegal to sell chewing gum so that's why it's hard to find gum and as a result, hardly anyone chews it. It's a myth perpetuated by tourists that it's illegal to chew gum.

You can import gum for personal use or you can give it away, but it is illegal to spit out your gum on the street.

Most Singaporeans are law-abiding citizens so enforcement isn't so much of an issue. If you do get caught, the fines are typically $500 to $5000. http://www.vwvortex.com/vwbb/eek.gif

tulit
12-07-2003, 09:40 PM
You sure man? They told us to throw away our gum at the airport before we got onto the plane to singapore.

FiveFreshFish
12-08-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by tulit
You sure man? They told us to throw away our gum at the airport before we got onto the plane to singapore.

I got it straight from a co-worker who lives there and I also got the same info from a tour guide when I was there in '99. However, things may have changed in the past 4 years.

They don't want you spitting your gum out on the street so that's why they tell you to dispose of your gum before boarding. They probably don't want you to stick your gum on their airplane either!

DeSi
12-08-2003, 09:55 AM
singapore, he can get some nice ph0nes for CHEAP!!!!!!!!! and the replicas look great ie: belts, wallets, shirts, jackets.

sandman
12-08-2003, 11:24 AM
:werd:
id ake orders from ppl for good quality reps for stuff
and dvd/vcds that are pirated
make some cash outta ur trip :thumbsup:

/////AMG
12-08-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Actually, it's illegal to sell chewing gum so that's why it's hard to find gum and as a result, hardly anyone chews it. It's a myth perpetuated by tourists that it's illegal to chew gum.

You can import gum for personal use or you can give it away, but it is illegal to spit out your gum on the street.

Most Singaporeans are law-abiding citizens so enforcement isn't so much of an issue. If you do get caught, the fines are typically $500 to $5000. http://www.vwvortex.com/vwbb/eek.gif

My bad, your right, you can't spit it out where ever and on what ever you want.:thumbsup:

5gluder
12-10-2003, 04:00 PM
Anyone know if they sell any parts, something that's we can't get or which sells for cheaper.

Skyline_Addict
12-10-2003, 05:57 PM
i lived in singapore for 5 years. alot of my relatives live there.
it's probably the best place in the world to get good food! the food is unmatched in goodness!
at the night markets you can get lots of fake, cheap stuff too!
and if you're looking for name brands and big name shopping outlets just head to orchard road. be sure to visit some of the clubs and have a game of bowling or golf.
if you're looking for pirated software, the authorities have really cracked down on that stuff in the past couple years - you'll have to know where to look and who to ask.
i remember when I lived there, you'd tell the guy you wanted to see his "Games" and he'd let you go through this door in the back full of pirated stuff hehe.
do not do this in singapore:
1. not flushing toilet - 500 bucks <-- how they woul catch you is still a mystery to me.
2. chewing gum - 1000 bucks <-- it's not a myth, it's very real.
3. littering - 500 bucks <-- makes sense right?
4. unlicensed gambling - jail <-- i don't know what they'd do to you there.
5. vandalism - caning! <-- ownage

other than that, there's lots to do there.
be sure to visit the East Coast for the best sea food you will ever have.
visit some of the bigger malls, like Tampines, White Sands, etc.
there are some cool stores and foodcourts there.
your dad'll love singapore.
and be sure to bring t-shirts and shorts, and a hell of a lot of changes of clothing.
he will sweat like crazy there, the humidity is almost 100% all the time and the temperature is pretty consistently around 30 degrees, give or take a degree.

edit: sentosa is just a tourist resort. it is not a part of singapore, in fact it is a seperate island. all you'll find there is souvenirs and really nice hotels. if you want the real stuff, like watches, and especially electronics (go to SIM LIM Tower for that) you should stay in sg. also, if you're into soccer, there is an entire mall dedicated to soccer. I can't remember what it's called, but just ask around and people will know what you're talking about.
taking the monorail is an extremely convenient way of getting around and the public transport system is top notch. but if you get tired of walking in the heat, taking a taxi is relatively cheap and catching one is really easy, I think almost every other car on the road is a taxi..... like if you wanna get around downtown sg, (orchard road, chinatown) it'd be like 3.50 to - 4.00. and make sure that you dad looks like he knows what he's doing when he tells the taxi driver to go somewhere, there've been cases where taxi drivers would drive around in circles or take the really long route. sometimes they are bastards and even ask you "which way" you want them to take.
"you want to take PIE or LMA ah?"
always pick PIE expressway.

szw
12-10-2003, 06:00 PM
plus the airport there is so hardcore

Skyline_Addict
12-10-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by szw
plus the airport there is so hardcore

yup, best airport in the world.
but i still love tokyo/narita, hehe, represent.

is SIA (Sinagapore Internation Airlines) still no.1 in the biz?

5gluder
12-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Whoa, thanks alot:thumbsup:

/////AMG
12-10-2003, 06:17 PM
Singapore Airlins is the best airline I have ever used. YOu can play SNES and watch your choice of movie. You have your own screen and everything. Food is awesome!!

Theres that one huge mall. Suntec or something like that? I forgot. It has the Worlds Biggest Fountain, its sweet, you can walk through it when its on:thumbsup:

Skyline_Addict
12-10-2003, 06:33 PM
Singapore Airlins is the best airline I have ever used. YOu can play SNES and watch your choice of movie. You have your own screen and everything. Food is awesome!!

Theres that one huge mall. Suntec or something like that? I forgot. It has the Worlds Biggest Fountain, its sweet, you can walk through it when its on:thumbsup:

oh rrrrrright!
yeah that outdoor one which sprays water outta these holes randomly.
a good way to cool off.
all the malls there are pretty huge though!

hehe the last time i took SIA, they had nintendo.

FiveFreshFish
12-10-2003, 06:37 PM
Suntec or something like that?

Suntec City Mall, iirc.