PDA

View Full Version : MBA Admission and requirments

Calgal25
04-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Hi guys,

I am looking to apply to the MBA program into haskayne school of business... thats pretty much the only university i'm applying to as i do not intend to leave Calgary because of my work.

I was wondering if anyone knew the success rate into getting into the program and if anyone had any tips as to what I can do to strenghten my application process?
I am going to write my GMAT sometime in September and apply this winter for next years Fall 2011 intake.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.s I had this thread on Campus chat but thought i'd post here as well in case anyone is doing their MBA or already completed their MBA might be able to help me out :)

Thanks a million

dandia89
04-13-2010, 06:52 PM
I don't want to give you any false information, but when I worked at haskayne, Micheline was the go to person for these types of questions. She's really helpful, just give her a shout

Job Title:

* MBA Admissions Coordinator

Phone:

* +1 (403) 220-3808

Office:

* SH 347

Email:

* [email protected]

Calgal25
04-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Thanks a bunch, I actually got intouch with her today and will be going to see her next week...

Originally posted by dandia89
I don't want to give you any false information, but when I worked at haskayne, Micheline was the go to person for these types of questions. She's really helpful, just give her a shout

Job Title:

* MBA Admissions Coordinator

Phone:

* +1 (403) 220-3808

Office:

* SH 347

Email:

* [email protected]

davidI
04-13-2010, 09:23 PM
Queens has a campus in Calgary as well and I've heard many people say it was an excellent program.

Calgal25
04-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by davidI
Queens has a campus in Calgary as well and I've heard many people say it was an excellent program.

I read up on the program, its $ 67,000 for the entire program... unfortunately i cant afford that :(

cressida_pimpin
04-13-2010, 10:49 PM

$67,000 to do an MBA through video conferencing? Brutal. Low quality experience, but the full cost. It's just a cash grab.

The reputation of Queen's vs. Calgary isn't going to get you anywhere better.

For reputation to matter it needs to be a jump from Calgary to Wharton, Stanford, Dartmouth, Columbia etc.

What is it that you want to do?

Management Consulting? McKinsey & Co., BCG, Deloitte and others recruit from Haskayne.

Investment Banking? Merrill Lynch and many big firms recruit from Haskayane.

Energy? Haskayne has a sustainable management program and is well connected with the energy sector.

Honestly, Queen's has nothing on Haskayne if you ask me.

dandia89
04-13-2010, 11:19 PM
I think the main reason people choose queens over u of c is because it's done faster. even then, op is working in calgary and has no reason to move across canada. i never heard about this video conferencing but that sounds brutal!

davidI
04-14-2010, 12:31 AM
^ Guys I know who did their BComms at the U of C and their MBAs at Queens said the instruction at Queens was far superior.

I'm sure the caliber of profs at Haskayne are better in the MBA program than in the undergrad (hell, my uncle is one of them), but overall I still think I'd rather foot the extra cash to do the Queens program. I'm not sure why you're saying the reputation at Queens isn't much better, as it was ranked as the best MBA program in the world outside of the US in 2008 by Business week. In 2009 it was ranked #1 in Canada and #19 world wide (open enrolment). Plus the alumni is top notch.

Before you start applying to schools, read "How to Get Into Top MBA Programs" by Richard Montauk (pretty sure that's the title / author).

As the book points out, you're only going to do your MBA once, so you may as well do it at a school that you're proud of. If Haskayne will meet your needs then go for it, just make sure you've researched your choice before making it.

The_Rural_Juror
04-14-2010, 07:28 AM
^who's your uncle?

davidI
04-14-2010, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
^who's your uncle?

PM'd.

dandia89
04-14-2010, 08:54 AM
im his daddy

liquid1010
04-17-2010, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by cressida_pimpin

What is it that you want to do?

Management Consulting? McKinsey & Co., BCG, Deloitte and others recruit from Haskayne.

I didn't know McKinsey recruits through Haskayne.

BTW... I'm in the program right now, so feel free to PM me with any questions you have.

Ebon
04-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by liquid1010

I didn't know McKinsey recruits through Haskayne.

BTW... I'm in the program right now, so feel free to PM me with any questions you have. They do but they don't take many students since their office here is relatively small (in an already small industry). I also think BCG posts sometimes.

DizzyDogg
04-20-2010, 01:58 PM
A couple quick points of clarification regarding management consulting:

McKinsey hasn't hired any Haskayne MBAs yet but has hired a couple undergraduates in the past.

Of the strategy houses (McK/ Bain / BCG) only McKinsey has a small but growing Calgary office, management consulting is hardly a small industry - just not so big in Calgary (yet).

BCG has also taken some undergraduate students from Haskayne in the past.

Hope this help demystify MC in CGY somewhat.

liquid1010
04-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Part of the reason MC is small in Calgary is because the O&G industry is focused on such technical and tangible areas.

Dizzy - are you currently in MC?

DizzyDogg
04-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Liquid,

That is definitely part of the reason - I would say the larger underlying reason is they just generally don't see the value proposition since they have not had exposure to these firms in the past. Huge amounts of work have always been going on in Houston / Dallas, only recently have these firms set their sights on the Canadian counterparts / players.

I am currently in MC with one of McK / Bain / BCG - so if anyone has any questions - shoot.

Calgal25
04-26-2010, 06:09 PM
Anyone know which is the best GMAT prep book out there?
I have very little time to prepare and i wanna get the best book out there LOL to try and get the most from it...

dj_honda
04-26-2010, 06:18 PM
the official guide

benyl
04-26-2010, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by dj_honda
the official guide :werd:

Nothing better than real questions.

Also, do the online downloadable test (if they still have that).

Remember, it is an adaptive test. Basically, you score is determined by the first 3-4 questions. After that, it is just refinement.

cressida_pimpin
05-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by benyl
:werd:

Nothing better than real questions.

Also, do the online downloadable test (if they still have that).

Remember, it is an adaptive test. Basically, you score is determined by the first 3-4 questions. After that, it is just refinement.

There is a rumor that the first ten questions count more than the rest. However, no evidence has ever been put forth

Calgal25
05-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Whats the average age for people taking the MBA at Haskayne?
Especially evening MBA...Just curious to know the age spread...

flamboyant
05-03-2010, 09:31 AM
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/executive_mba_profiles/calgary.html

:confused: :dunno:

cressida_pimpin
05-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by flamboyant
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/executive_mba_profiles/calgary.html

:confused: :dunno:

That's for the Alberta/Haskayne Executive MBA, not the evening program.

benyl
05-03-2010, 10:32 AM

There is a rumor that the first ten questions count more than the rest. However, no evidence has ever been put forth

I am pretty sure it is in the official guide. Also, the test designers have said that the next question is based on the answer to the previous question.

As far as the demographics of the Daytime class vs the evening class, I can tell you this.

The Evening class generally has a much higher percentage of mature and working individuals with a lot of experience. The Daytime class has some of that, but many are people who just finished or recently finished they BA.

I know there are a number of profs who have proclaimed their preference for the Evening class students over the Daytime classes.

I noticed that the daytime folks are all about being competitive. They don't really share or collaborate and are constantly trying to get the upper "egde." I am sure it depends on each class, but that was my experience. The Evening co-hort was much more civilized and respectful.

liquid1010
05-03-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm in the evening class now and the ages range from 26i up to people in their 40's. Most students are between 28 and 33.

Calgal25
05-03-2010, 02:31 PM
well, i gave my application on Thursday... the lady at the reception said they'd been "expecting" my application...
which could be a good sign or a bad sign... im just maybe reading too much into it...

ANYWAYS....
i think the anticipation of waiting will kill me... i wonder how long before they say yes or no?

I wonder if they offer conditional acceptance into the program?
I wonder if they are low on their applicant quota this year so i might have a good chance of getting in....
OH THE WONDER~~~~~~~~~~~~
:cry:

Calgal25
05-03-2010, 02:32 PM
oh by the way i'm only 24 turning 25 this year...

I dont mind being the baby of the class :D

OH GOD THATS IF I GET IN............:cry: :cry: :cry:

benyl
05-03-2010, 07:11 PM
you'll get in if you have a decent GMAT. It isn't very difficult to get into Haskayne...

A decent GMAT is one where you actually pass.

Calgal25
05-04-2010, 04:21 PM
you'll get in if you have a decent GMAT. It isn't very difficult to get into Haskayne...

a pass? I thought GMAT there isnt a pass or fail... I guess pass would mean get above the required score outlined by the university....ah studying suxxxxxxxxxxxx

Whats the point...you can get all these great designations and bla bla... but in the end experience trumphs it all...

Pahnda
05-04-2010, 04:58 PM

In fact a guy used to tell me "all you need is a face" to get in.

r0g3r
05-04-2010, 09:09 PM
I was told you need 7 years of experience to apply to the program, is this true? or is it just a 'recommendation'.

davidI
05-04-2010, 10:07 PM
^ Executive MBA usually has a larger experience requirement as it's directed towards a different audience. Can't speak to the Haskayne requirements directly without doing some research myself.

benyl
05-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by r0g3r
I was told you need 7 years of experience to apply to the program, is this true? or is it just a 'recommendation'.

Sure...

If you cut them a check, they will let you in.

liquid1010
05-04-2010, 10:33 PM
GMAT avg seems to be around 620ish. Most students have between 3 and 6 years of experience.

r0g3r
05-04-2010, 10:36 PM
o i see how things work now :D

3-6 years sounds more reasonable for me, I don't want to be in my 30's going back to school :thumbsdow (not that theres anything wrong with that)

Kg810
05-05-2010, 12:37 AM
MBA admission is a joke... don't even stress about it. And no, the work experience thing isn't even a mandatory requirement these days.

As for the actual program itself, you can take it serious or you can do whatever you want, either way you will pass. Even though if you get more than two B- you supposedly fail the program, you have to TRY and be that bad. The profs scale you like mad.

This is not coming from my personal experience but rather from the experience of someone close to me. MBA programs these days are not what they used to be.

davidI
05-05-2010, 01:28 AM
MBA programs are what you make of them. So many people chase it for the credential and I think that's useless. The real purpose I see is to develop yourself so that you're able to move up the ladder (rather than just think you deserve it because you have 3 letters after your name), and to build a solid network.

I'm also an advocate of having 5-10 years of experience before doing an MBA for that same reason. You really won't learn much if you're going from a BComm into an MBA without any on-the-job experience.

liquid1010
05-05-2010, 10:54 AM
MBA programs are what you make of them. So many people chase it for the credential and I think that's useless. The real purpose I see is to develop yourself so that you're able to move up the ladder (rather than just think you deserve it because you have 3 letters after your name), and to build a solid network.

I'm also an advocate of having 5-10 years of experience before doing an MBA for that same reason. You really won't learn much if you're going from a BComm into an MBA without any on-the-job experience.

Well said! If you don't have any decent experience it really shows - and you tend to take away less from the program.

Calgal25
05-07-2010, 08:43 AM
How long does Haskayne take to get back to you after you've submitted your application.
I gave my application in on April 28, 2010... I still havent heard anything back yet?

When should i be expecting something back from them?

Skyline_Addict
05-07-2010, 09:08 AM
^^ It's only been a week. You'll get an answer soon.

Cash Money Hoes
05-07-2010, 09:18 AM

$67,000 to do an MBA through video conferencing? Brutal. Low quality experience, but the full cost. It's just a cash grab.

The reputation of Queen's vs. Calgary isn't going to get you anywhere better.

For reputation to matter it needs to be a jump from Calgary to Wharton, Stanford, Dartmouth, Columbia etc.

Honestly, Queen's has nothing on Haskayne if you ask me.

Check out this link. http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/ and select the full time MBA tab. Queens has been the Top ranked MBA program outside of the US for several years now, ahead of LSB, IVEY, INSEAD ect. I would say this is a very solid program and in a wholly different league than Haskane. Queens Reputation>>>Haskane Reputation.

It should also be noted that Queens has offers a Queens-Cornell executive MBA that allows you to graduate with an MBA from both Queens and Cornell (As you know Cornell is an Ivy League School and was ranked just ahead of Dartmouth in the MBA rankings http://business.queensu.ca/mba_programs/qcemba/index.php.) So you are getting the same exposure to the top schools as if you were to go 'Wharton, Stanford, Dartmouth, Columbia'.

The best part is, they accepted 74% of the people that applied last year and the tuition is less than those big name institutions.

cressida_pimpin is obviously uninformed and likely has never considered an undergrad, let alone an MBA program at any quality institution.

cressida_pimpin
05-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Cash Money Hoes

Check out this link. http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/ and select the full time MBA tab. Queens has been the Top ranked MBA program outside of the US for several years now, ahead of LSB, IVEY, INSEAD ect. I would say this is a very solid program and in a wholly different league than Haskane. Queens Reputation>>>Haskane Reputation.

It should also be noted that Queens has offers a Queens-Cornell executive MBA that allows you to graduate with an MBA from both Queens and Cornell (As you know Cornell is an Ivy League School and was ranked just ahead of Dartmouth in the MBA rankings http://business.queensu.ca/mba_programs/qcemba/index.php.) So you are getting the same exposure to the top schools as if you were to go 'Wharton, Stanford, Dartmouth, Columbia'.

The best part is, they accepted 74% of the people that applied last year and the tuition is less than those big name institutions.

cressida_pimpin is obviously uninformed and likely has never considered an undergrad, let alone an MBA program at any quality institution.

They accept 74% of applicants...sounds pretty prestigous!

davidI
05-09-2010, 09:28 PM

They accept 74% of applicants...sounds pretty prestigous!

Reputation has a lot to do with the benefits of an MBA program, whether it's founded or not.

liquid1010
05-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Overall the difference between programs is highly overstated. Queens is a great program..... but it's not the be all and end all.

Most of the top ~10 programs are fairly good. After that you tend to see a fairly steep drop off as you get into degree mills.....