PDA

View Full Version : Magic Bullet - any good?

Mitsu3000gt
04-12-2010, 04:20 PM
From its name I first assumed it was a sex toy, but it looks like a handy blender for single servings. I was wondering if anyone has one of these things? It appeals to me because the mixing container becomes the cup, and then you can just put it in the dishwasher after.

Every blender I've ever used is a pain in the ass to clean and/or doesn't do a very good job of blending and I always have to shake it or stir it while its running for an even blend. I would make more smoothies if it wasn't a pain to clean the blender and it did a decent job.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/8/KitchenBath/2/Appliances/FoodProcessors/PRD~0431733P/Magic%252BBullet%252BSingle%252BShot.jsp?locale=en

Weapon_R
04-12-2010, 04:27 PM
It puree's just about everything. I use it for shakes and it does a great job, but don't expect the finely diced vegetables you see on TV.

It doesn't do a very good job of chopping ice either, so I find that you need to crush the cubes in a bag before putting them into the bullet if you use ice in your smoothies/shakes.

speedog
04-12-2010, 04:27 PM
We've been using one for over 2 years now with no problems - for small shakes/smoothies it really works quite well. Only thing to watch for is concoctions that are very thick - then the blades will have difficulty getting things moved around properly.

We've also used it for grinding our own spices (IE: cloves) - quite effective at that too.

Mostwanted
04-12-2010, 04:28 PM
well i use it to mix my protein shakes i guess its good and handy:dunno:

Deetz
04-12-2010, 04:37 PM
I've got one too, also use it for protein shakes, works well

easy to clean :thumbsup:

Mitsu3000gt
04-12-2010, 04:38 PM
I would just be using it for smoothies, so it sounds like its pretty good for that. How bad is it with ice though? If there is a lot of liquid can it crush the ice or do I need to crush my own ice before hand? That would be annoying.

D'z Nutz
04-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Yeah I seem to hear people breaking their blades when blending up ice, but I never use it for that. I just use it to mix up protein shakes, which it does a damn good job of. I like the magic bullet so much, I have one at work and one at home.

Keep your eye on the Canadian Tire fliers for sales. I bought both my Magic Bullets on separate occasions for $29.99 so they go on sale lots.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/87681/magic-bullet/
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/112766/magic-bullet/
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/268290/picturetastic-review-of-magic-bullet/

GQBalla
04-12-2010, 05:54 PM
use mine for protein shakes too.

some frozen fruit, water and protein!

blends up the frozen fruit nice

dj_rice
04-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Dont buy it from Canadian Tire, buy it from Costco when its on sale. You get more attachments/cups etc for same price

93VR6
04-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Got one, it's awesome for individual servings, but I wouldn't use one as my only blender.

LongCity
04-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Good for smoothies if you use frozen fruits. It sometimes has trouble with ice, though, but for smoothies I just use frozen fruits which usually gets it cold enough, milk, juice, honey, and yogurt.

Mitsu3000gt
04-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Frozen fruit is what I would mostly use, so it sounds like it does the job. I can probably live without ice in return for the convenience of not having to clean it manually.

I checked Costco.ca and they don't seem to have it so I will probably just get it at Canadian Tire. The only blade I need is the smoothie blade and it comes with 3 cups which is plenty. Canadian tire is usually pretty good about replacing things if they break as well.

I also searched and nothing came up but obviously there have been past threads on this thing - I think I had my search limited to 3 months by accident.

Thanks guys, I'll probably pick one up tonight when I go out. In the end, its only $30-40 so if it serves me well for a while it'll be worth it.

D'z Nutz
04-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Yeah it's not listed on the costco website, but the one they have there isn't the single shot. It's the next one up with more cups and two different blades. I think it's like $50 or $55.

Mitsu3000gt
04-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Yeah it's not listed on the costco website, but the one they have there isn't the single shot. It's the next one up with more cups and two different blades. I think it's like $50 or $55.

Ahh ok - thanks. I'll only be using it for basic single serving smoothies so much of that would likely go to waste.

TurboMedic
04-12-2010, 09:10 PM
I find mine has no problem using bagged crushed ice, but ice I froze myself in trays is way too hard and have to break it up in a bag beforehand. Its my single serving blender I use for morning smoothies only, because of the convenience of the cups.

dj_rice
04-12-2010, 09:36 PM
It wasn't listed on the website, it was on sale at the NE Costco for I believe $29.99 when I bought it, its a 22 Piece Set. Has a big pitcher cup perfect for margaritas :clap:

Mitsu3000gt
04-13-2010, 09:14 AM
I picked one up at Canadian Tire for $40. Sounds like I could have gotten it for $10 less but I don't have a Costco membership so I would have had to wait for someone else to come with me. Also, I would never use all the other accessories it comes with.

So far I love the thing, I bought a bunch of frozen fruits, a big tub of activia yogurt, bananas, and blend it all together with blueberry pomegranate juice. It makes a great smoothie in just a few seconds. What I'm going to start doing is putting the ingredients in the cups the night before, put on the sealable lid, and leave them in my fridge until morning, at which point I can make a fresh smoothie quickly before work.

I hope it holds up over time, but if not, Canadian Tire is good about returns (1yr warranty) and even if it lasts me 1yr it'll be worth it.

403Gemini
04-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Deetz
I've got one too, also use it for protein shakes, works well

easy to clean :thumbsup:

+1 :thumbsup:

Use it almost every morning, so frickin quick to make a quick protein shake & clean up after. Probably one of the best things I've ever spent my money on (how sad is that... lol)

civic_stylez
04-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

+1 :thumbsup:

Use it almost every morning, so frickin quick to make a quick protein shake & clean up after. Probably one of the best things I've ever spent my money on (how sad is that... lol)

lol im the same way.. its the first and only thing ive ever bought that i saw an ad for on tv... but i love it.. i use it every morning and after workout for shakes... because its so easy to clean i scramble my eggs in there too... 3 seconds and right out onto the pan!