PDA

View Full Version : Nitrogen Tire Fill Kit?

masoncgy
04-13-2010, 11:07 AM
I have been searching for a nitrogen tire fill kit, anyone on Beyond know where I could source out something like this?

There are sites offering large, shop-oriented filling equipment, but I am specifically looking for a home/hobbyist kit that could be used with smaller nitrogen cyliders (20/50/80 cu ft).

Many thanks in advance!

4lti
04-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Cheapest bet would be online id say.
Google that stuff.

scat19
04-13-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm just wondering why you a want nitrogen in your tires as oppsed to air, which is 78% nitrogen.

The only application which needs nitrogen to my knowledge is aircraft tires, due to the high altitude and freezing of moisture. (IIRC from my last job working on aircraft)

Composition of Air:

Nitrogen N2 78.084%
Oxygen O2 20.947%
Argon Ar 0.934%
Carbon Dioxide CO2 0.033%

cr-xbrian
04-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by scat19
I'm just wondering why you a want nitrogen in your tires as oppsed to air, which is 78% nitrogen.

The only application which needs nitrogen to my knowledge is aircraft tires, due to the high altitude and freezing of moisture. (IIRC from my last job working on aircraft)

Composition of Air:

Nitrogen N2 78.084%
Oxygen O2 20.947%
Argon Ar 0.934%

100% nitrogen wouldnt expand and contract like air does so you wouldn't have flattys or low tires all the time in weird fluctuating calgary weather?

codetrap
04-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by scat19

Composition of Air:

Nitrogen N2 78.084%
Oxygen O2 20.947%
Argon Ar 0.934%

I was thinking the exact same thing!

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2694/is-it-better-to-fill-your-tires-with-nitrogen-instead-of-air

Vdubbin
04-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Our atmosphere is made up of approximately 78 per cent nitrogen and 21 per cent oxygen. All tires will lose pressure over time, as the oxygen makes its way through the polymer chains of the rubber in the tire. At the molecular level, nitrogen is slightly bigger than oxygen, and so nitrogen minimizes the loss.

Oxygen and moisture contribute to the degradation of rubber in tires. Nitrogen generators remove both oxygen and moisture. Therefore the "inside" rubber portion of the tire should degrade slower. The pressure of a tire filled with nitrogen is not affected as much from variations in ambient temperature or from heat caused by road friction and load. Nitrogen is currently used in aircraft and race car tires for these very reasons.

For nitrogen to be effective in the everyday automotive world, the rims must be free of corrosion on the tire to rim sealing surface, whether steel or alloy. This "corrosion-free" state may be hard to achieve on anything other than new or low-use rims that haven't seen wintertime road de-icing chemicals. Otherwise, the nitrogen will leak out the same as air.

In my experience, rim corrosion issues contribute more to low tire pressure than anything else. And most people simply do not check tire pressure often enough.

So, if nitrogen has all these benefits, why not use it? I would give it a try with a new set of tires.

I'm going to speculate that in the not-so-distant future, nitrogen won't be optional during a new tire installation, if one wishes to keep the manufacturer's tire warranty valid.

Nitrogen in Tires (http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/cars/story.html?id=c9300414-e397-48b3-8f6f-2b0410cdb66b)

bituerbo
04-13-2010, 01:14 PM
So, let's say you put 100L of "air" into your tire. Now you're sitting at 80% Nitrogen, 20% oxygen.

Over the course of 3 months, you lost 20L, all oxygen since nitrogen cannot leak through the rubber of your tire (if you believe the marketing bullcrap) so now you're at 100% nitrogen, but your tires are only 80% filled, so you top up with 20L of air.
Now you're sitting at 96% Nitrogen, and only 4% oxygen. If you're being super anal you can wait for that 4% to leak out and repeat the process, putting you at 99.2% nitrogen in your tire.

Now you can either 'filter' out the oxygen from your tires in this manner, or you have to admit it won't work because in reality nitrogen is just as likely to leak out as oxgen.

Big_Fat
04-13-2010, 09:18 PM
We fill lots of tires in our shop with nitrogen everyday. Apparently its more stable than air, i personally think its all bull air is free there is no need to pay a dealership to fill ur tires with nitrogen

FiveFreshFish
04-13-2010, 09:34 PM
I run my impact gun on nitrogen.

badatusrnames
04-13-2010, 09:36 PM
:facepalm:

Redlyne_mr2
04-13-2010, 10:47 PM
I've seen cooler tire temps with nitrogen vs normal air. Last year my TPMS light came on all the time in the winter. Put in nitro and never had an issue again.

codetrap
04-14-2010, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I've seen cooler tire temps with nitrogen vs normal air. Last year my TPMS light came on all the time in the winter. Put in nitro and never had an issue again.

Is this possibly because you were a slacker and forgot to fill them regularly?

Here's a great resource..

http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/N2_FAQ_Q01.htm

I highly doubt the benefits of nitrogen in the tires outweigh's the cost.

davesparky6
04-14-2010, 09:08 AM
I'd like to fill my trunk with helium, to save weight.:D

Redlyne_mr2
04-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by codetrap

Is this possibly because you were a slacker and forgot to fill them regularly?

Here's a great resource..

http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/N2_FAQ_Q01.htm

I highly doubt the benefits of nitrogen in the tires outweigh's the cost.
Nope, not when I have an entire shop at my disposal all the time. :)

Kittens11
04-14-2010, 11:09 AM
im a real zipper roo

crapstixs
04-14-2010, 10:19 PM
one of the shops i know has been selling nitrogen for like 5 years, and they dont even have a nitrogen machine. they just have a bag of green caps. head office got pissed off over that one when they found out.

in the fountain tire community i know it pissed every one off. head office decided all ft stores will offer nitrogen. the machine we use runs off a 13:1 ratio, so now every one gets to buy a $3000 machine and a brand new $15000 compressor.