PDA

View Full Version : Surfing

04-13-2010, 05:44 PM
Not sure how many surfers are on here, but thought I would start up a thread dedicated to surfing, good spots, pics, board & accessories reviews etc...

Also are there ANY shops in Calgary that carry surf stuff?

Freeskier
04-13-2010, 06:19 PM
As far as I know, Red Nik is the only real surf store in Calgary. I never made it down there when I lived in C dot but the guys I know who surf all said it was pretty decent. I've just been borrowing buddies boards out here and hitting up places like Sombrio, Tofino occaisionally etc.

mr2mike
04-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Are you talking river surfing or ocean surfing or wakesurfing?

R-Audi
04-15-2010, 12:10 PM
I surf a little.. learned in Santa Monica, then went in Cape Town, and mostly Sayulita now.. nothing huge, but enough to make me hate living inland!

I tried River surfing in Kanaskis last year.. its WAY harder then it looks... I went in thinking it wouldnt be a problem and I couldnt stand up, apparently it takes a few trips out to figure it all out.

(And I have an extensive background with Wakeboarding & wakesurfing (7th at Nationals one year, and an instructor for 5) Snowboarded for many years, and surfed for 3 yrs)

My review of the Green Tongue:
River Surfing (http://www.riversurfing.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7016&highlight=#7016)

mr2mike
04-15-2010, 12:17 PM
My concern with river surfing is they say it's super risky if you don't know what you're doing. Like feet stuck in rocks, etc. Drowning is a real hazard. I mean you don't wanna be an idiot, but what safety measures did you take?

R-Audi
04-15-2010, 12:25 PM
The only thing we were weary about:
-Swim fast when you fall (To the side)
-Don't stand up in the current (sides were ok, we had booties on)
-Some people say no leash... but I think you would be swimming forever.

The Green Tongue (where you go in Kananaskis) is where all the Kayakers go (slalom course) so most of the obstacles are manipulated and the sides are quite clean.

The place we rented from in Bowness also offers lessons on the weekends.. might be worth looking into if you are interested.

maxomilll
04-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Bali Indonesia some of the best surf in the world:poosie:

I learned there on Kuta beach a couple months back.
going to try and hit up Tofino, or at least a coastal area, this summer. Damn I miss the ocean!

Afrodeziak
04-15-2010, 12:51 PM
I usually get down to the Oregon coast for a week every year to surf.

Beyond that, I've surfed in Maui-HI, Sayulita-Mexico, Tofino, BC, Huntington Beach, CA.

I always seem to get the BIG swells wherever I go, so if anyone wants to pay my trip anywhere, I'll be sure to bring the swell :) lol

In the river failing to catch waves at the Kan also a favorite past-time. Avid wakeboarder/wakesurfer though.

Was just down in St. Lucia, but unfortunately not a place for waves.

Afrodeziak
04-15-2010, 12:53 PM
btw, RedNik carries a lot of stuff that would crossover for behind the boat or on the river.

Some other shapes as well, but lately they've been a part of the Stand-up board scene. Lots of boards in this year.

Personally, I'd rather buy a board while on a trip and bring it back. For the prices I've paid to travel with my board, I may has well of rented or bought/sold.

I think Wesjet is the only company that doesn't charge more than $50 ea way.

civicrider
04-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Love surfing, going on my third surf trip next week, so far this winter i have surfed in Los Cabos, Sayulita, and I am about to go to Bali for a couple of weeks to surf. Then in the summer is all about the wake surf!