PDA

View Full Version : what is the best paint for small chip repair?

nonlinear
04-14-2010, 09:48 PM
i have a couple of very small paint chips on the front of my car. you can hardly notice them, but i want to cover them up to prevent rust. can anyone tell me what the best way to do this is? they are just small chips, so i don't want to pay for a pro to do it (or do i?). what is some good touch up paint?

this is a '06 black chevy, by the way.

calgary350z
04-15-2010, 12:18 PM
google dr colorchip, it is amazing. I have a pearl car and it even worked amazing on that. Dont use anything else....trust me. I have tried paint pens and regular touch up paint and this is so much better

94boosted
04-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by calgary350z
google dr colorchip, it is amazing. I have a pearl car and it even worked amazing on that. Dont use anything else....trust me. I have tried paint pens and regular touch up paint and this is so much better

Is there any place to buy this stuff in town?

heavyD
04-16-2010, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted

Is there any place to buy this stuff in town?

No you have to order it directly from them. It's great if you have road rash but for a couple little chips here and there touch-up paint (not the pens because they are shit) does the trick.

85regal
04-16-2010, 07:41 AM
go to an autobody supply store..get your exact color mixed up in touch up bottle..about 20 bucks and will be a perfect match and good automotive paint...

nonlinear
04-16-2010, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by 85regal
go to an autobody supply store..get your exact color mixed up in touch up bottle..about 20 bucks and will be a perfect match and good automotive paint...

like any auto parts store, or do I need an auto body supplier in particular. can you suggest any names?

Thanks!

Zero102
04-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Some people may disagree but I have always used the duplicolor touch up paint from Canadian Tire. It has a small brush tucked inside so it pretty much never dries up (I haven't tried the pen and don't plan to), it has always been a perfect match for my paint and it is only ~$12.

On my latest car I got a touch-up pen from the dealership for $10, at first I thought it was cool since it had clear on one end and color on the other, except the material the pen is made from doesn't allow the paint to flow through it, but instead ON it, meaning you cannot do even a half decent job touching up anything with it. When I went to apply the clear later I found out the solvent in the clear coat dissolved the color when I tried to rub it on, so now I have a clearcoated spot right through to bare metal. Do not get the pens from dealerships because they are SHIT.

heavyD
04-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
Some people may disagree but I have always used the duplicolor touch up paint from Canadian Tire. It has a small brush tucked inside so it pretty much never dries up (I haven't tried the pen and don't plan to), it has always been a perfect match for my paint and it is only ~$12.

The Duplicolor is decent but Crappy Tire only seems to keep the really common paint codes so if you have a color that was only used on a model for a year or two you can be SOL.

TravisJ
04-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Dr Colorchip is the way to go.

Rat Fink
04-16-2010, 06:34 PM

funkynassau
06-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Go to www.chipfixx.ca. They match the colour perfectly and offer a kit of everything you need to fix stone chips yourself. They are Canadian. Sort of like dr colorchip, who is American, but these guys give you a more complete kit and you dont have to get it over the border and deal with customs either.

Liz

G-ZUS
06-06-2010, 10:35 AM
^ Did you sign up just to plug that website?

funkynassau
06-06-2010, 11:10 AM
No, I didnt join just for that reason. It looks like a good forum and I wanted to add my two cents worth about a product that worked for me.