PDA

View Full Version : Help With Starting My MR2 After its 6 Month Hibernation

Eb0la11
04-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Hey guys,

so I figure today was a good day to bring out my MR2 after its been parked all winter.

I've done my due diligence with routines while it's been parked. It was under a car canopy tent and then also covered with a car cover so very well covered.

Full tank of gas.

New oil change just before it was parked.

Tires slightly overinflated to prevent flat spot etc...

Also routinely would start the car and let it idle for 20 minutes at a time about once a month.

Apparently I didnt do it recently enough, because today, when I went to start it for good, it didn't start.

I thought I had been out there in the past month or so to give it a nice bit of run time but I may be mistaking as it obviously isnt starting.

Its not a dead battery as my dashboard lights up, buzzers sound, car ignitor seems to be firing but thats it. I just get a fast clicking sound as the ignitor tries to fire.

Why won't it fire? I recall from years past I use to disconnect my ignitors and turn it over and just the pumps would run and relube everything nicely before I fire it up, but I tried that and maybe I either disconnected the wrong thing or I dunno what, but I need some help.

What should I do to get this bad boy fired up now that it's been sitting probably 2 weeks too long :rolleyes:

Tik-Tok
04-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Probably your battery, its got enough juice to power up the dash, but not to turn the starter. Just boost it and it'll run.

2ndgenlude
04-15-2010, 01:09 PM
its the battery. it has enough in it to light up gauges and what not, just not enouch to turn the engine over. with a fast clicking sound its battery 99% of the time. try to jump it.

NoMoreG35
04-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Yeah that's right. I had the same thing happen to my car. Charged it overnight and it started fine.

Eb0la11
04-15-2010, 01:16 PM
Thanks guys, I like that solution :)

Redlyne_mr2
04-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Easy street for you my friend.

mr2mike
04-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Suggestions for next time:

A) don't need a full tank of gas, just fuel stabalizer.
B) Don't change oil before you park it. Put some Lucas oil stabalizer in run it for a day before you park it.
C) Use a battery tender or take your battery out and keep it in your basement.

Put in battery.
Check tire pressure
Change oil/filter
pull ECU fuse
Crank motor a bit.
put ECU fuse back
start car
warm up
drive modest to use up rest of fuel
get new fuel
turn on boost controller.
have fun

BokCh0y
04-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Suggestions for next time:

A) don't need a full tank of gas, just fuel stabalizer.
B) Don't change oil before you park it. Put some Lucas oil stabalizer in run it for a day before you park it.
C) Use a battery tender or take your battery out and keep it in your basement.

Put in battery.
Check tire pressure
Change oil/filter
pull ECU fuse
Crank motor a bit.
put ECU fuse back
start car
warm up
drive modest to use up rest of fuel
get new fuel
turn on boost controller.
have fun