PDA

View Full Version : CPS - Even 3 Strikes and you are not out

5hift
04-17-2010, 09:42 AM
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Calgary+police+officer+acquitted+drunk+driving/2918478/story.html

A 17-year Calgary police officer was acquitted Friday of impaired driving -- the third criminal charge he's faced in as many years.

The dropped drunk driving charge against Dunkle was the police officer's third brush with the law, including an earlier alcohol-related charge. In 2007, Dunkle pleaded guilty to refusing to provide a breath sample and received a one-year driver's licence suspension and a $920 fine.

The conviction stemmed from a crash near Didsbury on April 29, 2007, when Dunkle collided with a tractor-trailer on Highway 2. No one was hurt in the crash.

That same year, in August, the RCMP charged Dunkle with false pretence in obtaining a taxi ride after he argued with a cab driver in Sylvan Lake over an $8 fare.

The Crown withdrew the charge a month later.

It's not known what, if any, internal sanctions Dunkle received after the two previous criminal cases. Officers charged with criminal offenses can face internal discipline and charges under the province's Police Service Regulation.

Yeah, the "ol boys club" is a thing of the past ...

:rolleyes:

HiTempguy1
04-17-2010, 09:59 AM
received a one-year driver's licence suspension

How can you be a police officer if you can't drive? He was kept around for a year doing paperwork?! :banghead:

ekguy
04-17-2010, 10:21 AM
:thumbsdow

Modelexis
04-17-2010, 10:43 AM
I like to replay the story in my head and replace the profession with another one, like an electrician, or a plumber... with a company car that they crashed while driving drunk.

Not sure if I'm the only one that does this, but it's a sort of humorous way of looking at the story.

I try to imagine the boss of the plumbing company saying "He has taken steps to control substance dependency (on alcohol) to show that he still should be considered a valuable employee."

or

"We will assist him through the internal disciplinary process,"

revelations
04-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by 5hift
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Calgary+police+officer+acquitted+drunk+driving/2918478/story.html

A 17-year Calgary police officer was acquitted Friday of impaired driving -- the third criminal charge he's faced in as many years.

The dropped drunk driving charge against Dunkle was the police officer's third brush with the law, including an earlier alcohol-related charge. In 2007, Dunkle pleaded guilty to refusing to provide a breath sample and received a one-year driver's licence suspension and a $920 fine.

The conviction stemmed from a crash near Didsbury on April 29, 2007, when Dunkle collided with a tractor-trailer on Highway 2. No one was hurt in the crash.

That same year, in August, the RCMP charged Dunkle with false pretence in obtaining a taxi ride after he argued with a cab driver in Sylvan Lake over an $8 fare.

The Crown withdrew the charge a month later.

It's not known what, if any, internal sanctions Dunkle received after the two previous criminal cases. Officers charged with criminal offenses can face internal discipline and charges under the province's Police Service Regulation.

Yeah, the "ol boys club" is a thing of the past ...
:rolleyes:

I'm definitely not defending the member involved here.... but the old boys club is not a thing of the past, not sure who claimed it was.

There is a lot more to this story than youve posted here - why did the crown suddenly drop the cab charges?

syritis
04-17-2010, 11:25 AM
If i was a degenerate piece of garbage posing as a respectable member of the law enforcement community but instead being treated like a unreasonable con artist by the public, all while being expected by the city to replaces the funds that seems to get thrown away like confetti.... i'd drink too.

CUG
04-18-2010, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by revelations

I'm definitely not defending the member involved here.... but the old boys club is not a thing of the past, not sure who claimed it was.

There is a lot more to this story than youve posted here - why did the crown suddenly drop the cab charges? Because it would be a giant waste of time over $8.00.

More like, why would that even make news?

slinkie
04-18-2010, 08:57 PM
17 year old cop??? wtf???

maxomilll
04-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by slinkie
17 year old cop??? wtf???

bahaha I thought this to. naa man 17 years in the service cop.

Phil_McGraw
04-18-2010, 09:06 PM
^^^ I think the real worrying issue is a 17 year old enforcing law :nut: .... NVM

93VR6
04-18-2010, 09:07 PM
There was a hearing to deciede what evidence was admissiable and as soon as the judge dismissed the breathalyzer evidence the crown dropped its case.

Also reading>slinkie

bjstare
04-18-2010, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by 93VR6

Also reading>slinkie

This. His post made me laugh:)

1barA4
04-23-2010, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by CUG
Because it would be a giant waste of time over $8.00.

More like, why would that even make news?

Likely because those given power over regular citizens are reasonably held to a higher standard than the average Joe Blow

SpeedIllusion
04-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

How can you be a police officer if you can't drive? He was kept around for a year doing paperwork?! :banghead:

Probably got to ride shotgun!

911fever
04-23-2010, 01:39 PM
that's brutal how's he still a cop

Tomaz
04-23-2010, 01:55 PM
I would like to know how many "Impaired Driving" violations he has handed out...

Integra10
04-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz
I would like to know how many "Impaired Driving" violations he has handed out...

:werd: He should have to serve their sentences with them. hypocritical bastard.

praytothelowerd
04-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis
I like to replay the story in my head and replace the profession with another one, like an electrician, or a plumber... with a company car that they crashed while driving drunk.

Not sure if I'm the only one that does this, but it's a sort of humorous way of looking at the story.

I try to imagine the boss of the plumbing company saying "He has taken steps to control substance dependency (on alcohol) to show that he still should be considered a valuable employee."

or

good one :thumbsdow

2Valve0
04-24-2010, 08:52 PM

or

No, noone else does that because it would be stupid.

We all know cops protect their own, plumbers and other professions would not.

taos911
04-24-2010, 08:55 PM
that little weasel rick hanson is mighty quiet on this one. what a piece of crap.

Meback
04-24-2010, 08:58 PM
no surprise, the law protects their own.

5hift
08-13-2010, 09:54 AM
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Acquitted+Calgary+officer+Travis+Dunkle+receives+demotion/3392691/story.html

Const. Travis Dunkle has returned to work at a lower rank after being acquitted of impaired driving in April for a 3rd alcohol related incident.

Despite his past troubles, Dunkle has shown he's a capable investigator and has taken steps to ensure he can resume his duties, Calgary Police Association president John Dooks said.

"Const. Dunkle has proven that he's a valuable asset," Dooks said.

The fact that CPS thinks this clown is deserving of the badge, let alone that he`s considered a valuable asset, tells you everything you need to know about the force.

DayGlow
08-13-2010, 10:41 AM
As much as it pisses me off, how exactly do you fire someone when they are acquitted of their charges? That would have wrongful dismissal written all over it.

Not sure how far he has been demoted, but a detective/sergeant makes around 99G a year while a 1st class constable is 83G.

That would hurt a lot more than any fine imposed by a court.

Again I'm disappointed that he was acquitted and shows how stupid our impaired laws are, but you have to work with what is given.

4lti
08-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Hmmm seems all the police on beyond are still in the ticket threads...
Surprised they arnt jumping all over this.

Modelexis
08-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by DayGlow
As much as it pisses me off, how exactly do you fire someone when they are acquitted of their charges? That would have wrongful dismissal written all over it.

I can see your point, but I don't think CPS should wait for a solid charge to hit before they dismiss an officer. I think wrong doing and 3 impaired or alcohol related charges should be enough to dismiss.

It's not like he was in the wrong place at the wrong time, he had valid charges laid against him.

If I work at a daycare and have 20 charges of molestation and child abuse, even if I am acquitted of these charges due to my skillful lawyer this doesn't mean that I should be allowed to return to my job at the daycare.
I don't think wrongful dismissal would be inappropriate, but what do I know about the details of the politics behind this.
Total speculation, but it's the only way I can express my anger towards stories like this.

If they can use the smell of alcohol on his breath to warrant a charge, they can also use this to warrant removing him from his job.

RecoilS14
08-13-2010, 11:03 AM
Just one more reason to love the CPS.

1barA4
08-13-2010, 11:06 AM

Can't the good cops gather around him and beat him with bars of soap in socks? I think that would hurt even more.

5hift
08-13-2010, 11:08 AM

Not sure how far he has been demoted, but a detective/sergeant makes around 99G a year while a 1st class constable is 83G.

Again I'm disappointed that he was acquitted and shows how stupid our impaired laws are, but you have to work with what is given.

The guy should have been fired after the first incident, or at least the second. He should not be around for a third incident to happen (acquitted or not, we both know he was drunk again).

Getting a 16G a year doc in pay is nothing relative to what he has done. Tell me any other job where someone makes nearly six figures, could pull this three times, and still be making close to what they did. I doubt that this is a wake up call at all, especially considering what the Calgary Police Association president is saying:

"Const. Dunkle has proven that he's a valuable asset,"

The old boys club is strong as ever and you guys protect your own ahead of what is right. Kinda hard to argue this time.

Originally posted by 4lti
Hmmm seems all the police on beyond are still in the ticket threads...
Surprised they arnt jumping all over this.

Dayglow is

calgary403
08-13-2010, 11:10 AM

"ncluding an earlier alcohol-related charge. In 2007, Dunkle pleaded guilty to refusing to provide a breath sample and received a one-year driver's licence suspension and a $920 fine."

Isn't refusing to provide a sample a criminal offense? I agree with you that the demotion is alot worse than a fine but aren't officers fired if they acquire a criminal record while they're on the police force?

sh0ko
08-13-2010, 11:10 AM
simply put the calgary police is the biggest gang within calgary. the only difference is they have government granted power.

Van Persie
08-13-2010, 11:30 AM
What a bunch of BS. My mother was killed by a POS like this guy. What do the CPS do when he finally kills somebody? THIS is why people don't trust the police.

sexualbanana
08-13-2010, 11:50 AM
For whatever reason that the breathalyzer results were inadmissable, without those results it's pretty much impossible to prove that the Officer was drunk and the case falls apart. Barring some sweet conspiracy theory, there is no case without the breathalyzer.

If I work at a daycare and have 20 charges of molestation and child abuse, even if I am acquitted of these charges due to my skillful lawyer this doesn't mean that I should be allowed to return to my job at the daycare.
I don't think wrongful dismissal would be inappropriate, but what do I know about the details of the politics behind this.
Total speculation, but it's the only way I can express my anger towards stories like this.

If they can use the smell of alcohol on his breath to warrant a charge, they can also use this to warrant removing him from his job.

Just to play devil's advocate here; people are innocent until proven guilty. As long as you're found not guilty, then you technically didn't do anything wrong. Thus, you can't really be fired for not doing something wrong. I would think it's similar to job applications that ask:
Have you been convicted of a crime?
vs.
Have you ever been charged with a crime?

DayGlow
08-13-2010, 12:04 PM
I fully agree he should have been gone after the second conviction. You can claim alcoholism is a disease all you want, but the second conviction should have led to his dismissal.

Kennyredline
08-13-2010, 12:16 PM
I can't wait for the day when this idiot kills someone after getting behind the wheel totally hammered; it'll be hilarious to see the CPS backtrack over that one.

Kennyredline
08-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz

I think a better question would be how many of his acquittals were because of his cop buddies screwing up the process..."WHOOPS, sorry 'bout that, spelled his name wrong...."

1barA4
08-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Kennyredline
I can't wait for the day when this idiot kills someone after getting behind the wheel totally hammered; it'll be hilarious to see the CPS backtrack over that one.

< Dooks sprinkles crack on the victim >

"Open and shut case...Dunkle is an asset to this dept and even when inebriated, managed to use appropriate force to deal with this dangerous Crack Tsar" - Dooks

darkone00
08-13-2010, 02:16 PM
The guy is a habitual offender. He will do this again at some point. Sad that the fucking Police can't see this. What a joke.

4lti
08-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by sh0ko
simply put the calgary police is the biggest gang within calgary. the only difference is they have government granted power.

:clap: :clap:

EXACTLY!

CUG
08-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by sh0ko

Stop crying, and start applying :D

StupidWade
08-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by 1barA4

Can't the good cops gather around him and beat him with bars of soap in socks? I think that would hurt even more.

Two on one isn't a fair fight ;)

calgary403
08-13-2010, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Kennyredline

I remember in Montreal about ten years ago that exact thing happened. A police officer was leaving a POLICE party drunk and hit and killed someone. I don't recall exact details about his sentencing but I'm pretty sure he got a slap on the wrist compared to the crime he committed.

sneek
08-13-2010, 09:20 PM
I fully agree he should have been gone after the second conviction. You can claim alcoholism is a disease all you want, but the second conviction should have led to his dismissal.

:werd: Not driving drunk should be covered under BFOR.

I work at financial firm and even hint that you could damage the company's reputation, you're gone. I imagine that police should be held to an even higher standard.

FraserB
09-30-2010, 06:23 PM
Dumbass is at it again.

Booted out of his alcohol program for violating the terms, yet the police association STILL supports this guy.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100930/CGY_dunkle_suspended_100930/20100930/?hub=CalgaryHome

Crymson
09-30-2010, 06:27 PM
HAHAHA, love the deer in the headlights look in that photo.

Totally could've seen this guy shoving kids into lockers, rolling in his camaro. Dude was probably the KIIIING of his high school.

calgary403
09-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Dumbass is at it again.

Booted out of his alcohol program for violating the terms, yet the police association STILL supports this guy.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100930/CGY_dunkle_suspended_100930/20100930/?hub=CalgaryHome

"This time, the officer has been suspended without pay. "

Looks like he's facing some severe discipline. :facepalm:

kertejud2
09-30-2010, 08:38 PM
3 strikes? With all the Brits the CPS has taken on they use cricket rules now. 10 wickets until the next guy gets to go...or whatever the hell they do in cricket.

Stealth22
09-30-2010, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by kertejud2
3 strikes? With all the Brits the CPS has taken on they use cricket rules now. 10 wickets until the next guy gets to go...or whatever the hell they do in cricket. It is 10 wickets in cricket, but that means the whole team is out. One wicket = player out.

Originally posted by FraserB
Dumbass is at it again.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100930/CGY_dunkle_suspended_100930/20100930/?hub=CalgaryHome One thing you have to keep in mind is that the police association is the union. The police union is ALWAYS going to stand behind an officer...they're the union, thats their job.

Generally, officers are suspended WITH pay because of the whole 'innocent until proven guilty' thing. Police officers are held to a higher standard, but they are entitled to due process, just like everyone else. As far as I know, the Chief of Police has discretion on whether or not to suspend an officer without pay. There was a W5 story (http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/W5Archive/20080208/WFIVE_money_nothing_080209/) on this in 2008. Ontario rules at that time didn't allow police chiefs to suspend cops without pay. I think its changed now, but my point is, court proceedings, appeals, etc can take a while. To take an officer's pay away for all that time, the charges need to be pretty substantial.

Like the article says, in this case, Hanson decided to suspend this guy without pay. As I mentioned before, he's entitled to due process. He'll get a chance to explain himself, and then the Chief decides what to do with him.

Just playing devil's advocate here. Now that being said, if Chief Hanson doesn't dismiss this guy (he violated one of the conditions of his return), I will be pretty disappointed.

atgilchrist
09-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by calgary403

I remember in Montreal about ten years ago that exact thing happened. A police officer was leaving a POLICE party drunk and hit and killed someone. I don't recall exact details about his sentencing but I'm pretty sure he got a slap on the wrist compared to the crime he committed.

If it's this one, it wasn't a cop:

The stiffest sentence ever rendered in Quebec for dangerous driving by someone who was drinking is a 10-year sentence given to Sylvain Boies in 1999, Bellemare and Kramer said.

In that accident, which occurred near Trois Rivires, Boies slammed a stolen police cruiser into a car while driving the wrong way on Highway 40 at a speed of at least 140 kilometres an hour. Vincent Lopez and Joel Mussgnug, both 27, died in the head-on collision.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=5e81c284-7837-4ffa-af8b-bc103251e52a&k=33623