PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Suggestions?

goat_killer
04-19-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm in the market for my first BBQ.

I'd like a decent BBQ but I'm not too familiar w/ which are the better brands of BBQs. So I'm hoping someone out there can recommend one.

And I don't know if it matters but my house has a gas line on my deck so I don't need a propane tank.

Budget- $200-$350

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DTTB_36
04-19-2010, 10:34 AM
We bought one yesterday from home depot
240$ 44000 BTUs ours was propane but they have a natural gas one as well.
Great bbq, my father has a very similar one and he chooses not buy a expensive one. Let me look for the model we bought.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=916294&Ntt=916294&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=172417&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber
that one but with only two knobs as it provides better heat distribution compared to the three one

DTTB_36
04-19-2010, 10:35 AM
my dad has the nat gas version

ringer
04-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Bought ours at Superstore (Presidents Choice) it's a natural gas and I love it.
It also came with the side burner attached which is nice for sauteing.

I think it was $300.00.

TKRIS
04-19-2010, 12:01 PM
My Weber is fucking awesome, but you're not going to find one anywhere near that price.
Weber makes Broil King. You will find one around that price.

Don't get sucked into the BTU arms race. You do not need a BBQ capable of getting to 675*...
A good quality 30,000BTU BBQ with a nice heavy lid, cast iron grill, and 3 separate burners will work well, and last for years longer than the fancy stainless one with all the accessories.

nonlinear
04-19-2010, 12:10 PM
for that price range, you can go to wal-mart, home depot, crappy tire, superstore, etc. and get a blingy, shiny BBQ boasting 42350985034850580985430985438 BTU with 4 burners AND a side burner for cooking pots on :rofl:. however, it will be made from sheet metal and will be shaky and unsturdy as hell. it will last you a couple of summers.

OR,

for the same price, you can go to Barbecue's Galore and get a cast iron Broil King. It will only have 2 burners, less BTUs, and will be smaller, but it is a FAR superior BBQ. it could last you a lifetime if you decide to never upgrade.

to me, the choice is simple, and yet fools continue to buy these big box piece of shits every few years.

EDIT: also, there are other threads on this already. try the search function, it might revolutionize your life.

JordanAndrew
04-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
for that price range, you can go to wal-mart, home depot, crappy tire, superstore, etc. and get a blingy, shiny BBQ boasting 42350985034850580985430985438 BTU with 4 burners AND a side burner for cooking pots on :rofl:. however, it will be made from sheet metal and will be shaky and unsturdy as hell. it will last you a couple of summers.

OR,

for the same price, you can go to Barbecue's Galore and get a cast iron Broil King. It will only have 2 burners, less BTUs, and will be smaller, but it is a FAR superior BBQ. it could last you a lifetime if you decide to never upgrade.

to me, the choice is simple, and yet fools continue to buy these big box piece of shits every few years.

EDIT: also, there are other threads on this already. try the search function, it might revolutionize your life.

Thanks for the tip, I will check out this place after work as I am also in the market for a new BBQ.

nonlinear
04-19-2010, 12:22 PM
i just have the entry level Broil King Monarch 20 ($279). I've had it for 3 years or so, and it's still sturdy and working flawlessly.

http://www.barbecuesgalore.ca/cooking.bpsx?CookingID=1

http://www.barbecuesgalore.ca/uploads/Broil_King_Monarch_20_-_09.jpg

chathamf
04-19-2010, 12:23 PM

OR,

+1 for barbecues galore! I used to sit in their parking lot at night and smoke dope in my car. One night the owner came and put the run on me, great guy! haha

nonlinear
04-19-2010, 12:26 PM
:thumbsup:

lilmira
04-19-2010, 02:40 PM
I just bought a BK Signet 90 from BBQs Galore, great shop for anything bbq related.

Had a rotisserie chicken yesterday, damn good.

Don't cheap out on a grill. A good grill looks great on your deck, lasts a long time and cooks 10x better.

93VR6
04-19-2010, 03:07 PM
I worked at superstore about 5 years ago and had to build come BBq's for display purposes and was very impressed with how sturdy they were but they will rust, just make sure to get a good cover.

goat_killer
04-19-2010, 03:39 PM
I think I'm gonna go w/ the Broil King Monarch 20 nonlinear has quoted above.

Looks to do everything I want. I don't really see the advantage of having a side burner. I know when I lived at home we never used it on my parents bbq.

I checked out the home depot website and found a universal rotissere too, so w/ that I should be set. Thanks for all your suggestions!

nonlinear
04-19-2010, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by goat_killer

Looks to do everything I want. I don't really see the advantage of having a side burner. I know when I lived at home we never used it on my parents bbq.

I checked out the home depot website and found a universal rotissere too, so w/ that I should be set. Thanks for all your suggestions!

i have that same universal rotisserie from home depot, it works great with the monarch 20! happy grilling!

B_Tran
04-19-2010, 03:44 PM
This might be small for a household but I use it ay my condo and take it camping too.

Coleman RoadTrip LXE Portable Propane BBQ

Shogged
04-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by goat_killer

i have the natural gas version and its amazing. good choice!

r3ccOs
04-19-2010, 04:00 PM
There are really only several options with Grills

Alot, like many things we buy, are oem'd to a manufacturer who casts steels and aluminium..

check out http://www.omcbbq.com/

They make Broil Mate, Broil King and Sterling... also are the Canadian distributor for Weber

Now, lets not mix up a GRILL and a BBQ :)

Anything that onward makes is actuality quite good, including the broil mates at home depot

in fact that is where I would start, as you can get a good amount grilling space, BTU and quality for well under $400

If you are looking for better, its Napoleon, Weber, Viking, Vermont Castings and the best detail- the costco Blue Ember

but really a good grill just grills that grills evenly :)

Avoid like the plague, no-name products from Crappy tire, Zellers, Walmart and Superstore

I bought this one last year - http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=909223&Ntt=909223&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=172418%204294966832&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

Which up until it was stolen, was a fantastic grill

I now own a Weber Gensis that I got for a wicked price from a rep at a BBQ comp (not sure why it was there, but it was and it was cheap)

BBQ -- now that's a whole different ball game and long live Charcoal, the Weber Kettle and the Smokey Mountain

nonlinear
04-19-2010, 04:43 PM
^^Broil Mates are NOT Broil Kings... i compared those when i was shopping, and the Broil Kings were noticeably higher in quality. e.g. just compare the grill surfaces.

TKRIS
04-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
BBQ -- now that's a whole different ball game and long live Charcoal, the Weber Kettle and the Smokey Mountain

While true, a good grill can get you close. I can maintain 140*+ for hours without having to do anything. Use the rear burner for indirect heat, chips in foil for smoke, and a tray with water/applejuice/etc in it on the lower grates.

To clarify, I'm not claiming that the pulled pork I did last weekend on my gas grill was as good as one done over charcoal on a real, nice, actual BBQ. I'm just saying it was pretty fucking good, and it requires virtually zero work (unlike charcoal).

r3ccOs
04-19-2010, 06:25 PM
^^Broil Mates are NOT Broil Kings... i compared those when i was shopping, and the Broil Kings were noticeably higher in quality. e.g. just compare the grill surfaces.

They are not, but they aren't bad neither

then again, I'd take a Vermont or my Gensis over a Broil King Signet series any day.

r3ccOs
04-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by TKRIS

While true, a good grill can get you close. I can maintain 140*+ for hours without having to do anything. Use the rear burner for indirect heat, chips in foil for smoke, and a tray with water/applejuice/etc in it on the lower grates.

To clarify, I'm not claiming that the pulled pork I did last weekend on my gas grill was as good as one done over charcoal on a real, nice, actual BBQ. I'm just saying it was pretty fucking good, and it requires virtually zero work (unlike charcoal).

140? that's super low... I can't maintain that on anything anything, charcol or gas (well I can, but it won't cook anything, just cure or flavor)

Problem w/ those "grills" as opposed to a smoker, is that they leak smoke everywhere... though a smoker's heat is not directional, the smoke does need some direction.

Plus cause you use chips, rather than wood chunks, they burn real quick, especially when not mixed in w/ coal and you have to change the foil pouch often.

Belive me, I was like you.... before I went to comps and became educated on how to manage the cook.

I think you meant 140c -- which is 284ish c' which is about as low as I could w/ propane as well as nat gas.
Meanwhile, I can spark up a WSM and cook about 45lbs of food (ribs, brisket, pork shoulder) and have it run @ 225 for 12 hours without touching it, which is really more traditionally "low & slow"

Smoking on Gas, unless you have a special cooker made out of some old home-made helium gas tank, is pretty much always a comrpomise

boarderfatty
04-19-2010, 10:42 PM
I have a vermont casting signature series. It is a little out of the 2-300 price range but is well worth the money imo. It has 6 burners, a rotisserie burner, led backlight cooler, cutting board, side burner, smoker box, rotisserie, led side lamp etc. If you use it all the time investing decent change into it is a great idea.

Blacura
04-19-2010, 11:44 PM
Doesn't anyone cook with charcoal anymore? Grow a pair.

TKRIS
04-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
I think you meant 140c -- which is 284ish c' which is about as low as I could w/ propane as well as nat gas.
Meanwhile, I can spark up a WSM and cook about 45lbs of food (ribs, brisket, pork shoulder) and have it run @ 225 for 12 hours without touching it, which is really more traditionally "low & slow"

Smoking on Gas, unless you have a special cooker made out of some old home-made helium gas tank, is pretty much always a comrpomise
Yeah, it's always a compromise. That said, a lot of people can't justify (or have room for) 2 units. My point is that a good quality grill is your best bet, as it can do a respectable job of BBQ'ing as well.

I checked my guage and it's actually 170* I can hold at. 140 is where the guage starts. I just got it mixed up. Still plenty cool for anything I want to do.
I'll likely end up buying a Bullet sometime this summer, as I'm doing more and more BBQ lately, but that's not really the best option for some people.

nonlinear
04-20-2010, 10:29 AM
why is this turning into an argument about smoking vs. grilling? they are 2 different things entirely. i certainly don't want to cook my burgers, steaks, and veggies on a smoker. :rolleyes:

my grandfather had a grill and 3 - that's right, 3 - smokers. just goes to show you that different units have different advantages and disadvantages.

codetrap
04-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Weber CEP 320. Kicks ass hands down on any other BBQ I've used. Easy enough to use my wife can even cook well on it. We put in the Natural Gas one, and it's great for cooking all year round. It's only blown out on me once while cooking, and that was when I tried to (foolishly) do a roast chicken during a windstorm. I finally gave up when I saw a cow and a few pigs floating by in the wind.

http://www.barbecuesgalore.ca/cooking.bpsx?CookingID=26

http://www.barbecuesgalore.ca/uploads/weber_genCEP320.jpg

TKRIS
04-20-2010, 10:55 AM
why is this turning into an argument about smoking vs. grilling?

No one is arguing about grilling vs. smoking.
:dunno:

SScott
04-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Lots of good information, been meaning to buy a BBQ soon.

Guess i'll stay away from the Superstore and Wal-Mart brands...

TimG
04-21-2010, 07:52 AM
i bought a Weber Genesis Silver from home depot a few years ago (now discontinued). home depot had a special where that grill came with cast iron grills.

I have nothing but good things to say about this grill. my parents have had the same weber for probably 20+ years and it still works flawlessly.

as far as smoker boxes, you can usually buy a metal box that sits under the grill to make your smoke.

rotisserie: i've never used one. i don't miss it. In fact, just get a good set of BBQ utensilts: spatula and tongs. i've never needed a knife or the big fork thingy. if you're going to be doing fish you may want to get a fish cage.

a word about using natural gas vs propane.

Back in ottawa, we noticed that the same bbq with natural gas tended to take longer to heat up. also, when you affected by variations in NG line pressure (like if everyone in your neighbourhood started to use their NG bbq or stove at the same time). propane tended to be hotter.

Get a book on how to grill. also learn how to tell the if your meat is cooked by touch, not by cutting it open. one trick that i learned was if you touch your thumb and index finger together, the meaty part of your thumb will feel like rare beef, thumb and middle is med-rare, thumb and ring is med-well, and thumb and pinky is well done.

codetrap
04-21-2010, 08:19 AM
Tim,

I've noticed that our NG grill heats up far better than the old propane one, and still faster than my neighbors propane. I don't think we have the line pressure issues here you did in ottawa.

I do have a rotisserie, and it's not too bad to use. Though I only really use it for roasts now. Chickens I do ala beer can style.

Highly recommend this book..

http://www.amazon.com/Grilling-Better-Homes-Gardens-Kitchen/dp/0696210290/ref=cm_lmf_tit_15

It goes into some really good detail on HOW to cook with your bbq. Not just recipes. Though the recipes do kick some serious ass.

TimG
04-21-2010, 08:23 AM
I guess it depends on the neighbourhood. we were in an older part of town so that might have had something to do with it.

I bought this one

http://www.amazon.com/Webers-Real-Grilling-Jamie-Purviance/dp/B0018SUH2O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271859717&sr=1-3

i've been at chapters and they have a few decent ones on the shelf. Most of the good books dedicate the first few chapters on how to grill properly.

Mitsu3000gt
04-21-2010, 08:55 AM
I've used a BBQ before that instead of coals, it looked like it had ceramic rods or something similar for very even heating. Is that the best way to go or are coals still the best?

This is a good thread, I'll be needing a BBQ soon as well.

TimG
04-21-2010, 09:00 AM
yeah, my weber has 3 tubes, and each tube has a triangular shield over it to protect it from drippings and to give more even heating.

The other thing you might want to consider is whether the heating tubs run front to back or side to side.

if you plan on doing rotisserie type cooking i think you'd want the side-to-side tubes so you can turn the middle one off (directly under the rotisserie) and have indirect heat on the front and back burners. :dunno:

Mitsu3000gt
04-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by TimG
yeah, my weber has 3 tubes, and each tube has a triangular shield over it to protect it from drippings and to give more even heating.

The other thing you might want to consider is whether the heating tubs run front to back or side to side.

if you plan on doing rotisserie type cooking i think you'd want the side-to-side tubes so you can turn the middle one off (directly under the rotisserie) and have indirect heat on the front and back burners. :dunno:

Bu tubes do you mean ceramic rods? (or whatever they are). The BBQ I was using had probably 30+ rods, and they were not covered by anything. I'm pretty sure it was about a $4,000 BBQ.

nonlinear
04-21-2010, 09:28 AM
the advantages of NG are that you don't have to refill it, and you can use it year round.