PDA

View Full Version : Vanos seal replacement question

ZeroGravity
04-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Just wondering if anyone here has done the vanos seal replacement (either by themselves or by local shop)?

I haven't contacted any local shops yet, but was wondering if anyone has this done by a shop, how much approximately did it cost you?

Based on the information here, http://www.beisansystems.com/ , it said it is approximately a 4-hour job.

I'm not sure if I'm mechanically ready / prepared to perform this procedure myself. I did replace some spark plug cylinder seals and engine value cover seals on a 91 Honda Civic before. But that is a much cheaper car to screw up on. :P

97'Scort
04-19-2010, 01:32 PM
What year/model?

ZeroGravity
04-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
What year/model?

2003 Z4 3.0i

scat19
04-19-2010, 01:49 PM
I am answering this question:

Just wondering if anyone here has done the vanos seal replacement (either by themselves or by local shop)?

Yes. I did it by myself.

97'Scort
04-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Not familiar enough with the newer cars to offer any advice. Get the Bentley manual if you can.

ZeroGravity
04-20-2010, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by scat19
I am answering this question:

Yes. I did it by myself.

What prompted you to do it? Was it the rough idle? Or just the uneven throttle / power distribution as described in Beisan's website?

I called Sheni's to ask about this procedure / cost... but he asked me if I have the check engine light or leaking oil, if not, don't worry about it. He said the vanos problem he's aware of are most prominent (spelling?) in M3s, and it usually involves replacing the whole Vanos unit (from Dr. Vanos).

scat19
04-26-2010, 12:04 PM
The vanos is the same in all cars. I really fail to see how he isolates M cars.

I did it for the uneven around 3k power loss.

ZeroGravity
04-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by scat19
The vanos is the same in all cars. I really fail to see how he isolates M cars.

I did it for the uneven around 3k power loss.

Thanks. That's what I thought too.

I've ordered all the parts. The modified seals from Beisan Systems and the rest from the local dealership.

johnnybad1
05-07-2010, 09:10 AM
Before removing and rebuilding the vanos, check to see that the Vanos solonoid is working correctly.

Glenn 328is
05-13-2010, 02:53 PM
I'd recommend doing it yourself. The instructions on there are quite explicit and clear. Give it more than 4 hours just so you can take your time doing the work. I looked into this as well as I have a vibration at the 1,500 rpm mark.

Check the lower chain tensioner - as that coul dbe your issue. The shop will charge you a lot of $$$. Call a few and see if they know what they are talking about.

5G_celica
05-26-2010, 03:50 PM
I've done it, and it actually makes a huge difference.

it's a pretty straight forward to do. you might as well replace your valve cover gasket while you're at it. just a tip if it's kinda chilly when you do it, the valve cover gasket will be pretty brittle and won't want to come out. heat gun will soften it right up and you can pull it out in one piece.

tom_9109
05-26-2010, 07:10 PM
I just help a friend do this on Monday. he had a walkthrough from

http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/vanos_procedure.htm

which was great. Very easy. Anyone can do it with a little patience.

Make sure you have a nice little xacto knife and are super careful cutting off the seals though.

AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE 6 ft/lb torque wrench. Gives you peace of mind when you're done.