PDA

View Full Version : Honda says good bye to the Civic Type R

Sykes
04-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Too soon :(

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/04/jdm-civicr042.jpg

After only three years of production (in its current form), the Japanese market Honda Civic Type R will take its final bow at the end of August. Here in America, we've always lusted after Honda's Type R products (though we've always been very pleased with our own market's Civic Si), but we can't help but feel saddened by the loss of a true performance icon.

What's to love, you ask? For starters, the Civic Type R is fitted with a naturally aspirated 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine, able to produce around 225 horsepower at a screaming 8,000 rpm, and when you consider that the whole package weighs less than 2,800 pounds, it's makes for a relatively quick Civic. Couple that mill to one of the best six-speed manual gearboxes on the planet and you've got a recipe for success. What's more, Civic Type Rs are fitted with 18-inch wheels on Bridgestone Potenza performance tires and four-piston Brembo brakes – the equipment you need for a serious track day pocket rocket.

There's no word if another Civic Type R is in the works, especially with Honda's larger focus on hybrid cars taking up most of the research and development money. Still, we are indeed mourning the loss of this mean machine and are hugging our Civic Sis here in the U.S. for comfort. Hit the jump for Honda's official press release.

Press release:

Honda to Complete Production of 4-Door Civic Type R

TOKYO, Japan, April 19, 2010 - Honda Motor Co., Ltd. announced it will discontinue production of the 4-door Civic Type R at the end of August, 2010. A purist's sports car featuring precisely tuned vehicle dynamics, the Civic Type R creates a unity between car and driver for exceptional driving pleasure. The first-generation model launched in 1997 and was produced at Suzuka Factory. The second-generation model following in 2001, was produced at Honda of the U.K. Manufacturing Ltd.* For the current, third-generation Civic Type R that was released in 2007, the production has returned to Suzuka Factory.

Type R models are specially tuned to take full advantage of the potential of the base model and provide a racing car-like driving feel. First offered on the NSX in 1992, the Type R range was added to the Integra in 1995 and to the Civic in 1997.

* Established in 1985 in Swindon, Wiltshire, U.K.

source: Honda via autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/19/honda-confirms-end-of-four-door-civic-type-r-production/)

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-19-2010, 04:28 PM
The European Type R Hatch is still going to be in production though.

Redlined_8000
04-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Why Honda why :cry:

heavyD
04-19-2010, 05:56 PM
Honda really needs to get a sporty car in its lineup priced below the S2000. No need to set foot in a Honda dealership unless you want a 'me too' economy car.

Xtrema
04-19-2010, 06:26 PM
So only Type R left is the quirky hatch.

See the route they took with CR-Z, this isn't surprising.

arian_ma
04-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Honda really needs to get a sporty car in its lineup priced below the S2000. No need to set foot in a Honda dealership unless you want a 'me too' economy car.
I'm not sure if I misunderstood your post, but the S2000 was discontinued a couple of years back.

ragu
04-19-2010, 06:50 PM
^ I am guessing his point being that s2000 was barely anything called sporty and they charged $50,000 for it. Honda should really come up with something with some torque, character for a change!

LongCity
04-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma

I'm not sure if I misunderstood your post, but the S2000 was discontinued a couple of years back.
No it wasn't, it's been like a year.

Xtrema
04-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma

Honda needs a Hyundai Genesis Coupe.

MK2MK4Jetta
04-19-2010, 07:10 PM
About time!

Sil80_D
04-19-2010, 07:14 PM
aw, i love the FD2 type R...

FiveFreshFish
04-19-2010, 07:17 PM
Bring back the hot hatch.

v2kai
04-19-2010, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Bring back the hot hatch.

:werd: and the four door FD2 R :cry:

the new R hatch isnt cutting it

.jl-
04-19-2010, 08:27 PM
:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

the FD2 is so sick!
Honda can't get rid of the civic type r, its a mix of a sport and a casual street car
=(

I personally don't like the CR-Z

94boosted
04-19-2010, 08:39 PM

Couldn't of said it better myself.

Once you equip a Civic Si nicely with options and accessories it's a $37,000+Tax/Fees car that's ridiculous for something with a puny 200hp :banghead:

This Type R seems ok but we never got it and if we did the price tag on it would of been in STi/EVO territory

911fever
04-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Honda is failing as of late, and hard too

theken
04-20-2010, 06:42 AM
Umm performance icon? Lol

Aleks
04-20-2010, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by theken
Umm performance icon? Lol

If the Civic type R was anything like Integra type R I would agree it's with icon status.

I had one for a short time and it was more fun to drive than an S2000. Amazing cars.

Originally posted by Xtrema

Honda needs a Hyundai Genesis Coupe.

Why would they take a step backwards?

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/0909_2010_hyundai_genesis_coupe_20t_track_vs_2010_honda_civic_si/the_specs_performance_data.html

heavyD
04-20-2010, 07:42 AM
Honda makes good cars but they have crossed the line too far into Toyota territory abandoning the cars that made them popular. The Prelude in the mid-80's and early 90's was a hot car and brought people into dealerships. It was for the times a high tech FWD coupe that had style. They then followed suit in the late 80's with cars like the CRX and Integra which were affordable, attractive, and fun. As the years went by Honda started taking the fun and affordability out of their cars as every generation of Civic has got blander and more expensive. The Integra and Prelude are no more so now all the have to offer is Civics, Accords, and CUV's.

Bottom line is that if you are looking for a car with some style, excitement, & performance there's absolutely no reason to step foot in a Honda dealership. Honda left the door open for Hyundai/Kia and they have taken full advantage and it's a matter of time until they are reduced from prominent automaker to also rans.

Eleanor
04-20-2010, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted
Once you equip a Civic Si nicely with options and accessories it's a $37,000+Tax/Fees That's only if you max out the accessories & options, realistically you'd need only a touch over $30,000 before taxes, PDI etc.

Maybe ~$35k OTD? Which could also get you a loaded V6 Mustang which would beat the pants off the SI.

EDIT: Forgot to add :werd: on the small sports car front, a Genesis/FT-86 fighter would be sweet to see.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-20-2010, 09:54 AM
It's like Honda is trying to out-Beige Toyota. :zzz:

lilmira
04-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Just wait for the next generation Type-s for sticky pedals, then they really catch up with Toyota.

Aleks
04-20-2010, 10:14 AM
As much as I think Honda has lost some of its appeal in recent years I'd take the Si any day over a Genesis 2.0T.

gpomp
04-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor
That's only if you max out the accessories & options, realistically you'd need only a touch over $30,000 before taxes, PDI etc.

Maybe ~$35k OTD? Which could also get you a loaded V6 Mustang which would beat the pants off the SI.

EDIT: Forgot to add :werd: on the small sports car front, a Genesis/FT-86 fighter would be sweet to see. if the si is 35k in your imaginary currency then the v6 mustang is 50k

kevie88
04-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
As much as I think Honda has lost some of its appeal in recent years I'd take the Si any day over a Genesis 2.0T.

You're out of your mind.. The Genesis is such a better car everywhere. RWD is a huge bonus as well. Sure the 2.0t needs more power but that's easy with a turbo motor.

Seriously, go drive a Genesis Coupe for yourself, they're great cars.

heavyD
04-20-2010, 10:35 AM

Me too. I'm still not sold on Hyundai and find the Genesis a very average car. The Si gets ragged on but it's a pretty decent car just in need of a little more flair.

heavyD
04-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by kevie88

You're out of your mind.. The Genesis is such a better car everywhere. RWD is a huge bonus as well. Sure the 2.0t needs more power but that's easy with a turbo motor.

IMO you would be better off waiting for the Toybaru coupe than buying the Genesis if you want affordable RWD. Better resale and most likely a superior product.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
if the si is 35k in your imaginary currency then the v6 mustang is 50k

I did a build and price on an Si, loaded it (minus stupid shit like cargo nets and visors and whatnot) and it came to $37,075 CAD.

A 2011 V6 Mustang Pony package plus every single option outside of French labels and an auto trans came to $34,479 CAD.

You were saying?

K3RMiTdot
04-20-2010, 11:06 AM
fuck i love this car :cry:

HondaKid
04-20-2010, 11:12 AM
I agree with all the above, as I get servicing at the local Honda dealership about every four months or so. I would look forward to the service if there were some interesting cars to look at in the showroom, after the first time, one tends to simply take a seat and wait while using the free wireless and drinking coffee.

Most boring automotive showroom floor without a doubt.

All fixable by bringing the Euro cars to NA, again the chant of all car lovers in NA.

clem24
04-20-2010, 11:36 AM
It's a total reversal of what was the 90s and 00s. Now you've got GM and Ford making great performance cars, and Toyota and Honda becoming what GM and Ford used to be. Maybe they've done the math and figured out it's not a money maker. Who knows. I am almost certain my next will not be Japanese and I've been the hugest Japanese automaker fanboy ever.

gpomp
04-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

I did a build and price on an Si, loaded it (minus stupid shit like cargo nets and visors and whatnot) and it came to $37,075 CAD.

A 2011 V6 Mustang Pony package plus every single option outside of French labels and an auto trans came to $34,479 CAD.

You were saying? if you can't see the difference between dealer installed accessories and factory installed options then there's no hope.

mr2mike
04-20-2010, 11:48 AM
I'm with Clem24, there's not a single Japanese car out there that I would want or want in a few years to mod up (considering base performance platform and styling). Maybe the 350Z but that's about it.

Aleks
04-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

You were saying?

I think you're confused between options and accessories.

Si does not have any options. You can buy an Si for under $30K tax in and it's loaded. No options are available. You can spend thousands on accessories on any car.

Ford.ca doesn't have any accessories listed for the mustang yet. Once they do if you check all the boxes it would probably exceed $45K

Sorath
04-20-2010, 11:56 AM
i really don't know how people can say the genesis is a better car than the si. I feel that the si is very well priced and i do not think there is a car that i would buy over the si in that price range (under 30k CAD) out the door. Hell my old si is more fun to drive than my sti is.

Aleks
04-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
i really don't know how people can say the genesis is a better car than the si. I feel that the si is very well priced and i do not think there is a car that i would buy over the si in that price range (under 30k CAD) out the door. Hell my old si is more fun to drive than my sti is.

The 2011 Mustang would be the only other car in that range that would be good to check out. 300+hp, good handling, very good fuel mileage base price $22.9K Will have to test drive one for sure.

2Valve0
04-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

Your out of your mind. I have 3 friends that jumped on the bandwagon when this car came out and have had nothing but problems, visit after visit to the dealership. Hyundai's are still hyundai's and would never buy one because they are honestly shitty quality IMO, from my experience.

I think the character Han from Tokyo Drift said it the best
"You're representing me now. What you think, I'm gonna let you roll in a Hyundai?"

I honestly thought when the genesis hit I might be converted but when driving one I realized they need to work a lot harder to convince me any of their products are decent.

The Civic SI is actually a great car to drive if you have been in a new one, handles amazing and is quick. The genesis, even though rear wheel drive(most normal people wouldn't really car anyways) is slow and laggy from the ones I have driven, and kind of a boring car all around.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-20-2010, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
if you can't see the difference between dealer installed accessories and factory installed options then there's no hope.

The upgraded suspension, brakes, and exhaust are all dealer-installed "accessories"? News to me. Does the dealer install the upgraded stereo and wheels, too? Besides, the comments you responded to said "loaded", not "with all available options but no accessories."

The bottom line is that I specced the two vehicles as close as I could, and the Mustang represents a far, far better value than the overpriced Si.

Eleanor
04-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Si does not have any options. You can buy an Si for under $30K tax in and it's loaded. No options are available. You can spend thousands on accessories on any car. Please define loaded. According to honda.ca the basic SI doesn't even have bluetooth, nav or remote start.

I wouldn't call that "loaded" :dunno:

As for the Mustang, once all the info is released, I'd love to see you price out a V6 for $45k, even with Nav, wheels & a glass roof, considering the GT with Nav, the Brembo package & a glass roof is only $47k.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-20-2010, 01:18 PM

As for the Mustang, once all the info is released, I'd love to see you price out a V6 for $45k, even with Nav, wheels & a glass roof, considering the GT with Nav, the Brembo package & a glass roof is only $47k.

The V6 quote I listed included the Brembos, wheels, glass roof, and I'm fairly certain there was a Nav package in there somewhere.

Eleanor
04-20-2010, 01:25 PM
^ no Brembos or Nav available on the V6 yet IIRC

Aleks
04-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Please define loaded. According to honda.ca the basic SI doesn't even have bluetooth, nav or remote start.

I wouldn't call that "loaded" :dunno:

Loaded means there at no options available. For example a TSX base model is not loaded unless you get the leather, V6, and Nav. Because the Si only comes in one trim with no options I consider it loaded since you can't add options.

That's the thing with accessories if you pick every single one they add up quick.

If you can add up to $10K in random accessories to the Civic I am sure you could do the same to a Mustang once the info is available.

No one is disputing the V6 Mustang is a great deal. Probably impossible to beat, but to say a loaded Si is $37K is wrong.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-20-2010, 01:49 PM
^ no Brembos or Nav available on the V6 yet IIRC

Yeah, I priced out a GT at well, must have been thinking of that. Definitely had wheels and glassroof, though.

911fever
04-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Gpomp is an idiot. I deal with Honda dealers all the time, and the cheapest a dealer can buy an SI with a dealer trade is around 27k, not including PDI or taxes (which are 13% here in Ontario). Don't believe me, look at a car cost Canada report, wholesale price on a base manual SI is $25 grand. Most often including other dealer taxes and several options you ARE looking at 33 to 35k out the door, and EASILY.
The v6 Mustang is a way better car than the SI, in fact the V6 Mustang will be giving the 370Z to 3.8GT Genesis competition. The 2.0T Genesis is underpowered and needs to be revamped. The Mustang will also have better resale, but Hyundai is really improving, for those who say Hyundai isn't great, trust me, drive their new models, they are 9/10's there from being on par with Toyota and Honda. They just need a few more years of name recognition and loyalty, then expect them to give Honda + Toyta a run.

Sorath
04-20-2010, 03:40 PM
who are you calling an idiot?

i work at a honda dealership.

car is 27,700 + air tire tax + GST (before factoring any rebates/discounts)

which brings the car up to $29,211. most of us here don't live in ontario. even if you factor in pst from ontario, you're only at 31,436.60. 33k-35k out the door my ass. please do more research before making yourself look like a dumbass. There is no doubt that the v6 mustang is a great car for us consumers right now, no one is arguing that fact. Mustang have better resale? are you kidding me? LOL :rofl:

911fever
04-20-2010, 03:59 PM
who are you calling an idiot?

i work at a honda dealership.

car is 27,700 + air tire tax + GST (before factoring any rebates/discounts)

which brings the car up to $29,211. most of us here don't live in ontario. even if you factor in pst from ontario, you're only at 31,436.60. 33k-35k out the door my ass. please do more research before making yourself look like a dumbass. There is no doubt that the v6 mustang is a great car for us consumers right now, no one is arguing that fact. Mustang have better resale? are you kidding me? LOL :rofl:

Great news kid, but I'm assuming most people don't buy a base SI with manual, many people add several options (how about 17' wheels at $1578.40) which makes it swing out to 33k or so. Plus lots of dealers have admin fees of $500 a pop, ETCH safety, nitrogen in the tires etc etc. Unsmart consumers can spend easily 33 to 35k.

And Mustang's have worse resale? A quick scan of kijiji reveals that most 2000 (the random year for this case study) Honda Civic SI's are worth from 3k to about 7k. 2000 Ford Mustang in a V6 is worth $4k to $9k. Both have similar values. The Mustang is one car that holds its value decently well for Canada. I stand by my statement, Gpomp is an idiot. and man it must suck to work for Honda, some pretty great sportscars there hey?

Sorath
04-20-2010, 04:17 PM
another idiot who thinks factory options = accessories add ons. waste of my time arguing with you, why are you comparing an old civic si to the new civic si, you should be comparing it to the old sir. which a 99 still goes anywhere from 8-10k. Here's a 04 mustang for the same price as a 99 sir http://www.autotrader.ca/used_cars_Car_details/EDMONTON_Alberta_2004_FORD_MUSTANG_1381000.html?srcID=11&frnID=9847858&prv=Alberta&r=20 http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-1999-Honda-Civic-SiR-Coupe-2-door-W0QQAdIdZ195141594 please note that the civic has twice the milage. fuck even an sir with 200k is selling for 7000. http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-2000-Honda-Civic-SIR-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ197946833

Why don't you go troll forums that are closer to your region.

911fever
04-20-2010, 04:28 PM
another idiot who thinks factory options = accessories add ons. waste of my time arguing with you, why are you comparing an old civic si to the new civic si, you should be comparing it to the old sir. which a 99 still goes anywhere from 8-10k. Here's a 04 mustang for the same price as a 99 sir http://www.autotrader.ca/used_cars_Car_details/EDMONTON_Alberta_2004_FORD_MUSTANG_1381000.html?srcID=11&frnID=9847858&prv=Alberta&r=20 http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-1999-Honda-Civic-SiR-Coupe-2-door-W0QQAdIdZ195141594 please note that the civic has twice the milage. fuck even an sir with 200k is selling for 7000. http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-2000-Honda-Civic-SIR-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ197946833

Why don't you go troll forums that are closer to your region.

Oh boy, you can't go by the Calgary market. It's a fucking retarded market, all cars are worth way more than what they are worth. BMW's are stupid priced there, Honda's are worth way too much. In the biggest city of Canada, Toronto, resale is better determined, more people, greater population sample. But that's just commonly known, Calgary prices are stupid high.
Looking on autotrader here, same thing as I said before. The most expensive 2000 Civic SI in Ontario with 139k km is $6300 LOL. And obviously a 2000 Ford Mustang V6 with 122k km is $7495

Why don't you do some research? Mustang's hold great value, especially Cobra's.

Sorath
04-20-2010, 04:41 PM
you can't blame is for having cars that arent rusted out like the POS's that come out of ontario.

911fever
04-20-2010, 04:48 PM
you can't blame is for having cars that arent rusted out like the POS's that come out of ontario.

Yes, all cars from Ontario are rusted POS' :facepalm: :facepalm:

even bigger :facepalm: @ you for defending a Civic SI vs a 2011 Mustang V6

Aleks
04-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by 911fever

Great news kid, but I'm assuming most people don't buy a base SI with manual, many people add several options (how about 17' wheels at $1578.40) which makes it swing out to 33k or so. Plus lots of dealers have admin fees of $500 a pop, ETCH safety, nitrogen in the tires etc etc. Unsmart consumers can spend easily 33 to 35k.

Why would you buy another set of 17" wheels when the car already comes with a set of 17s? Also Si only comes in manual, what other way can you get it?

When I was car shopping last year it came out to just over $28,000 all in (fees, taxes). :dunno:

Unsmart customers can spend $40K on that car if they are unsmart enough but that's not the point.

Everlast
04-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Someone chime in if I'm wrong here but aren't 2000 Civic SI in canada the same as american Civic EX trim?

Civic SI for that year is known as SiR here....so try checking for prices of that trim instead.

dj_honda
04-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Everlast
Someone chime in if I'm wrong here but aren't 2000 Civic SI in canada the same as american Civic EX trim?

Civic SI for that year is known as SiR here....so try checking for prices of that trim instead.

that is correct. but there is no point trying to explain that to someone who thinks accessories = options, or that used ontario cars are equivalent to used alberta cars, but are priced less because calgary is a "fucking retarded market" where "cars are worth more than they are worth".

heavyD
04-21-2010, 07:01 AM
Yes, all cars from Ontario are rusted POS' :facepalm: :facepalm:

If they are driven in winter they will last half as long as they do out here. That's the way it is.

clem24
04-21-2010, 10:33 AM

If they are driven in winter they will last half as long as they do out here. That's the way it is.

I dunno.. Calgary's been really piling on the salt as of late.

Sorath
04-21-2010, 10:40 AM
do you know how humid it is in ontario? the amount of salt they use, does not even compare to what is used in calgary.

94boosted
04-21-2010, 10:25 PM
I feel that the si is very well priced and i do not think there is a car that i would buy over the si in that price range (under 30k CAD) out the door. Hell my old si is more fun to drive than my sti is.

That depends on what your looking for. If you want better fit & finish and even better looks there is the GTi and if you want better performance Cobalt SS in that price range :confused:

IMO the Civic Si is way over priced for what you get, the fun factor is low. Especially with the performance bar being raised and raised and raised every year the Si is :zzz:

theken
04-21-2010, 11:16 PM
i priced out a mustang with an automatic and it was 35,579 on their website
can't do anything to an Si on hondas websites.

either way depends what your after, you want a honda or a ford.

Sorath
04-21-2010, 11:53 PM

That depends on what your looking for. If you want better fit & finish and even better looks there is the GTi and if you want better performance Cobalt SS in that price range :confused:

IMO the Civic Si is way over priced for what you get, the fun factor is low. Especially with the performance bar being raised and raised and raised every year the Si is :zzz:

i dont know what you're talking about, both those cars are over 30k

Aleks
04-22-2010, 09:49 AM

i dont know what you're talking about, both those cars are over 30k

Cobalt SS was mid 20s and with rebates low 20s :dunno:

GTI base price is about 2K more than the Civic however you can load it up to mid 30s with options that the Civic doesn't have.

Sorath
04-22-2010, 10:33 AM
go build one on gm.ca it says 29,445 + a/c tire tax + gst. which puts it over 30. like i said for under 30k out the door, si is still the best choice imo

heavyD
04-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by clem24
I dunno.. Calgary's been really piling on the salt as of late.

Yes but still nothing near how much they use in Toronto but the key is the salt + humidity. It's bone dry in Calgary and it's crazy humid in southern Ontario.

911fever
04-22-2010, 11:13 AM

Yes but still nothing near how much they use in Toronto but the key is the salt + humidity. It's bone dry in Calgary and it's crazy humid in southern Ontario.

I guess its how you maintain a car in winter that makes most of the difference. In AB, most people including myself went through one windshield a winter at about $150-$300 due to the rocks they pour on the roads. Here you can get a Krown rustproof (from $100 to $300) which is pretty much a guarantee you won't have any rust as long as you own the vehicle, it's pretty effective. If you rust proof yearly, the cars are in pretty good shape, I had an 01 Lude here that was rustproofed every year since day 1 and it was in better shape than my other Prelude I had in Calgary which was battered by stone chips. It's all in how you maintain a car -which unfortunately most people don't do!

GQNammer
04-22-2010, 11:47 AM
I've owned the new gen civic SI since March of 2006, after being on the waiting list for 4 months.

A stock '06 SI comes with
17'' rims
aux input
moonroof
tilt steering
LSD
manual 6 speed
AC
6 speaker stereo + 8'' subwoofer
Stiffer suspension
Exhaust

All this is to me seems pretty loaded to me

Extras I bought were:
Honda body kit ($1700)
Compustar car alarm
3M

After everything and taxes, car ran $31k. The 2010 SI comes with everything listed above + foglights (correct me if i'm wrong) and it's cheaper than when I bought my '06. So I'm not too sure how some of you guys are saying an SI 'fully loaded' would run over $37k.

Back on topic though. I agree that honda has become bland. This is coming from a Honda fanboy. They need to come out with a car with more torque (boooost :poosie: ) and still attract to the car enthusiast crowd with a price comparable to it's competitors.

94boosted
04-22-2010, 12:59 PM
go build one on gm.ca it says 29,445 + a/c tire tax + gst. which puts it over 30. like i said for under 30k out the door, si is still the best choice imo

I got my 09SS for just shy of 30 out the door after all of the rebates and such. I know you would be hard pressed to get a GTi out the door for under 30k but if the rebates were right and you know how to negotiate it's possible.

Sorath
04-22-2010, 01:05 PM
i did not want to fact in rebates, im just basing off of msrp from the manufacture. If you go down that road, civic si's were selling for under 24,000 out the door in 09

texasnick
04-22-2010, 02:08 PM
I'm confused, are we talking about an FD2 Type R or the Si?

As far as I know, the Si is still in production, so how does this affect the NA market at all?

Just because there's no hype r anymore everyone says Honda is bland?

well...it is, but not only because they are stopping production of the Type R.

As long as they still offer k series motors here, and everyone thinks Honda is bland, I'm happy. 300 whp N/A with OTS parts is one hell of a step up from the old days.

Cheap motors that are actually good > *

94boosted
04-22-2010, 04:48 PM
i did not want to fact in rebates, im just basing off of msrp from the manufacture. If you go down that road, civic si's were selling for under 24,000 out the door in 09

And all I am saying is for 30k +/- 2k the Civic Si is far from the best sport compact or sport coupe IMO.

Aleks
04-22-2010, 04:54 PM

They must have bumped the prices up for 2010s. I see there is a 5k incentive right on the site but I have a quote for a 2009 where msrp was 25K and there was a 4k rebate.

Best value for under 30K right now is the new Mustang. Same fuel efficiency 100 more hp lower msrp better handling... :burnout:

Sorath
04-22-2010, 05:06 PM

And all I am saying is for 30k +/- 2k the Civic Si is far from the best sport compact or sport coupe IMO.

I never said its the best sport compact or sport coupe, i think for under 30g out the door, it cant get much better. I'm not a fan of mustangs, never have been, though i do love the cobras. I guess i`d have to drive a new mustang, So far ive heard that it hasnt got good reviews. I wouldn't own one based on depreciation alone

Genjuro
04-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by ragu
^ I am guessing his point being that s2000 was barely anything called sporty and they charged $50,000 for it. Honda should really come up with something with some torque, character for a change!

...lol like that will happen.

911fever
04-22-2010, 05:49 PM

I never said its the best sport compact or sport coupe, i think for under 30g out the door, it cant get much better. I'm not a fan of mustangs, never have been, though i do love the cobras. I guess i`d have to drive a new mustang, So far ive heard that it hasnt got good reviews. I wouldn't own one based on depreciation alone

the new V6 Mustang hasn't gotten good reviews? Are you joking?? 0-60 in 5.1 seconds, 1/4 mile in 13.7 @ 102mph
0.96 on the G pad. Legit competition to 370Z and others
watch this, 'nuff sed.
5Qqzgyy3jBE

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/29/2011-ford-mustang-v6-first-drive/

clem24
04-23-2010, 11:16 AM

the new V6 Mustang hasn't gotten good reviews? Are you joking?? 0-60 in 5.1 seconds, 1/4 mile in 13.7 @ 102mph
0.96 on the G pad. Legit competition to 370Z and others
watch this, 'nuff sed.

:werd: I honestly don't think I've read *any* negative reviews of the 2011 Mustang. Heck, I don't think I've read a single negative review of any "new" Ford that's been released within the last few months or so. Interesting that this Mustang V6 now has performance specs similar to the MKIV Supra TT, except it's what, 1/3 the price when new? Obviously can't be tuned for 1,000,000 HP but whatever.

tehwegz
04-25-2010, 12:43 AM
someone mentioned about how boring the Honda show rooms are now, that's actually true...

i went in, all I saw were a couple Ridgelines, an Odyssey, normal family Civic sedan, Accord sedan and there was neither Civic or Accord coupes.

I saw an S2000 parked outside and a couple integra's.

so geyy..

LiquidK
04-25-2010, 03:39 AM
i drive a honda, and i don't really want to hate, but when was honda not bland?

or did people start taking "vtec just kicked in" seriously?

they're daily drivers, and if you just spent 30 grand on a honda you most likely didn't do it for performance. you did it because you can A) beat the shit out of the engine B) know that its likely not going to break down when you pick the kids/wife/hooker up from soccer practice/her "friends" house/3rd ave.

no offense honda guys, my last 3 cars have had a H badge but it's not exactly a new shift they've been making towards family dailys. this is just another nail in the casket.

edit: also, not really fond of domestics but i love the direction dodge and ford have been taking lately (challenger, stangs, charger etc)

tehwegz
04-25-2010, 10:31 AM
meh, that's true

but they're cheap, reliable cars and very "moddable" like you can build off the blandness I suppose, and then of course be prone to haters.

i dont think i'll ever buy new, used cars is where its at. New cars depreciate like 47% in first year or something?