PDA

View Full Version : bad experience with gthid

v8killa
04-20-2010, 01:13 AM
If you guys are looking to get an hid kit for your car I would reccomend getting it from somewhere other then gthid. I bought there hid kit and got it installed by them about a year ago and now the hid kit flickers on and off whenever it is in the sun when the mode is in auto. I called them about this since they do offer a "warranty" but the guy said it will cost 75$ an hour to see what the problem is since everything isnt under warranty. I described the problem but he said he can't help at all unless he looks at it while charging me at the same time. In my opinion he should be able to atleast suggest some problems that I could personally look into since they are going to charge me 75$+ just to look at an hid kit. Just a heads up I guess.

JustinGTP
04-20-2010, 01:17 AM
Maybe you should take the HID kit out. There, problem solved.

v8killa
04-20-2010, 01:21 AM
Still doesn't change the fact that they have shitty customer service and im just giving people a heads up before they buy from them.

YamaLube
04-20-2010, 06:38 AM
It's a known fact you can't be a V8 Killa without a hid kit, come on justin.................

luxor
04-20-2010, 09:47 AM
There is only one solution to the said problem you are having: Take the stupid fucking hid kit out! I hate people like you. I almost have to wear sunglasses at night so that I don't get blinded by your rice HID kit. Time to tint my windshield.

talonboi
04-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by v8killa
If you guys are looking to get an hid kit for your car I would reccomend getting it from somewhere other then gthid. I bought there hid kit and got it installed by them about a year ago and now the hid kit flickers on and off whenever it is in the sun when the mode is in auto. I called them about this since they do offer a "warranty" but the guy said it will cost 75$ an hour to see what the problem is since everything isnt under warranty. I described the problem but he said he can't help at all unless he looks at it while charging me at the same time. In my opinion he should be able to atleast suggest some problems that I could personally look into since they are going to charge me 75$+ just to look at an hid kit. Just a heads up I guess.

try not to use the auto mode for the headlight. also sometimes vehicles that use the low beam as a DRL can cause this proble. HID kits need the full power from the car to start the hid, the DRL only sends half power, which will cause flickering

rc2002
04-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by luxor
I hate people like you. I almost have to wear sunglasses at night so that I don't get blinded by your rice HID kit.

+1

For the OP, you get what you pay for. What do you expect for a $200 kit made in China?

v8killa
04-20-2010, 01:38 PM
thanks talonboi i will look into that, it if its fully dark outside they work fine, only when exposed in the sun which is why i found it odd.

94boosted
04-21-2010, 10:36 PM
Pull out your Daytime Running Light fuse and see if that fixes the problem.

scat19
04-22-2010, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by luxor
Time to tint my windshield.

:angel:

serious note - Stop cruising over these posts, take that illegal shit out of your headlights you ignorant fuck. You blind everyone coming towards you.

:facepalm:

talonboi
04-22-2010, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by scat19

:halo:

serious note - Stop cruising over these posts, take that illegal shit out of your headlights you ignorant fuck. You blind everyone coming towards you.

:facepalm:

just a little over the top?

403Gemini
04-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by talonboi

just a little over the top?

No, not over the top enough. I hate cock suckers with these kits, especially assholes in trucks with these kits...

btimbit
04-22-2010, 11:56 PM
And a $60 ebay kit isn't good enough? I have low temp hid's so I can actually see at night, you seem to be after the deep blue kit because you think it's awesome. Save yourself the trouble and just get one off ebay. While you're at it, ditch the 8000k rice lights because all you're doing is pissing a lot of people off.

2Valve0
04-23-2010, 12:08 AM
When I get blinded at night I slow down to 15km/h with my 4ways on then highbeam these fucking ricers. Take illegal blinding lights out of your damn car, makes me want to smash headlights

FraserB
04-23-2010, 12:16 AM
I had 4 driving lights on my old bumper, putting out close to 1 million candle power. A quick flash got most HIDs turned off, even on lifted trucks. lol :D

2Valve0
04-23-2010, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
I had 4 driving lights on my old bumper, putting out close to 1 million candle power. A quick flash got most HIDs turned off, even on lifted trucks. lol :D

Shit if you still had those I would love to take a ride one night and hunt down ricers.

FraserB
04-23-2010, 12:27 AM
End of the summer I'll have another bumper and enough lift for them to be in the correct spot.:D

moka989
04-23-2010, 12:43 AM
my car came with hid set up. it was to much. downgraded to h4's and they work great and are pretty bright without blinding everyone else and risk getting tickets.

ReflexFX
04-23-2010, 12:48 AM
Lol, I see beyond is going through the "lets call everyone with something we dont like a ricer" phase. What if he retrofitted projectors that cut-off like a normal car? Still ricer? Or does beyond haters not approve of that either?

FraserB
04-23-2010, 12:52 AM
No, the "haters" only hate the retards who drop HIDs into stock housings that fuck up everyones eyes when they spew off in every direction but the right one.

No problem with HIDs with the proper cutoff and projectors.

slinkie
04-23-2010, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by ReflexFX
Lol, I see beyond is going through the "lets call everyone with something we dont like a ricer" phase. What if he retrofitted projectors that cut-off like a normal car? Still ricer? Or does beyond haters not approve of that either?

^ he didn't though, good reading

ReflexFX
04-23-2010, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by slinkie

^ he didn't though, good reading

Just wondering, in case somebody bashes my future retrofitting plans as "ricer".

***Also, notice how I said IF he retrofitted them?

btimbit
04-23-2010, 01:11 AM
So let me get this straight. Anyone with HID lights is a ricer? Because I always thought it was just the kids with 8000k+ lights that they haven't bothered to aim correctly. Well, if it's on the internet, it must be true.

JustinGTP
04-23-2010, 01:17 AM
No, anyone that drops an HID kit into a car spec'd with halogen headlights. They're ricers. The higher the Kelvin scale you go, the more ricey you are!

btimbit
04-23-2010, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by JustinGTP
No, anyone that drops an HID kit into a car spec'd with halogen headlights. They're ricers. The higher the Kelvin scale you go, the more ricey you are!

Still going to have to disagree. I've got 5000k hid's in my car because I had trouble seeing the unlit portions of 22x with just halogens. I don't think they look cool, I just like knowing where the deer are. I'm a ricer, in my otherwise bone stock Jetta?

JustinGTP
04-23-2010, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by btimbit

Still going to have to disagree. I've got 5000k hid's in my car because I had trouble seeing the unlit portions of 22x with just halogens. I don't think they look cool, I just like knowing where the deer are. I'm a ricer, in my otherwise bone stock Jetta?

If you don't have projectors you're going to get flamed by the HID Police. You're blinding oncoming drivers and they're going to hit the deer now.

PS: It's something that cannot be argued considering HID kits are illegal. They are meant for "off road use " only because they are blinding. Your halogen housing is not designed for a bulb that is 3x as bright. You will have hotspots, a scattered beam and you are now two big blobs of bright light at night.

These people have the "I drive behind the light" ricer attitude, not being considerate of other drivers and thinking about how you are affecting their driving.

:thumbsdow

btimbit
04-23-2010, 02:24 AM

If you don't have projectors you're going to get flamed by the HID Police. You're blinding oncoming drivers and they're going to hit the deer now.

I'm not too concerned with the HID police flame. Besides, I've had them since the snow melted and nobody's flashed me yet. That's a good sign, or maybe they were so blind they couldn't find their light controls :p

: It's something that cannot be argued considering HID kits are illegal. They are meant for "off road use"; only because they are blinding. Your halogen housing is not designed for a bulb that is 3x as bright. You will have hotspots, a scattered beam and you are now two big blobs of bright light at night.

I have projectors that are retrofitted properly, and they're sharply focused. Don't assume I'm some kid with more cheap ebay purchases than common sense.

You have the "I drive behind the light" ricer attitude, not being considerate of other drivers and thinking about how you are affecting their driving.

:thumbsdow

And now you've gone ahead and assumed I'm a clueless high school kid who's only concerned with how high the bass can be turned up. You can tell what kind of attitude I have behind the wheel because of two posts about headlights? You must have a pretty high opinion of yourself.

Anyway; :hijack:

JustinGTP
04-23-2010, 02:45 AM

Don't assume I'm some kid with more cheap ebay purchases than common sense.

If you don't have projectors....

:banghead:

Also, note how I said PS. The PS wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at the other people who drop in their HID kits without a retrofit. Thanks bud.

btimbit
04-23-2010, 02:49 AM
^^Alright, Alright, that's fair. :thumbsup: Cheers

And, again, :hijack:

scat19
04-23-2010, 02:54 AM
I'm probably the biggest hid police on here and I'm glad others are feeling safe to voice their opinions too. I know beyonders have hid kits too, pisses me off.

Anyways - I've done a hid projector retro myself. If it's done properly, you're golden. I have seen a few cars (notably an older dumped jetta with what looks to be Nissan projectors (very purple)) and whatnot. It looks so clean and oem, and you have even better lights.

I just lol @ people who want brighter lights. They go about it the wrong way. Brighter lights does not mean you'll see more. The housing that you currently have is not putting the light where you need. Increasing your light in your already shitty housing isn't going to do much.

Buy a good qaulity projector, from an oem, (no shitty china stuff), and if you need help there are tones of forums and even a thread here about it

rc2002
04-24-2010, 08:20 AM

You'll see the deer more easily with your stock halogens than your 5000k hids.

BenC
04-24-2010, 08:47 AM
lol wow you guys went off-topic.

btimbit
04-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

Well, you say that, but the simple fact is I couldn't see at night before, and now I can.

JustinGTP
04-24-2010, 01:46 PM

He has projectors. So no, he'll see more now. If he went with 4300k instead of 5000k, he'd have even more light output. But 5000k isn't too far off 4300k.

turbotrip
04-24-2010, 02:53 PM

no he wont

rc2002
04-24-2010, 11:55 PM

He has projectors. So no, he'll see more now. If he went with 4300k instead of 5000k, he'd have even more light output. But 5000k isn't too far off 4300k.

Originally posted by turbotrip

no he wont

Guess again.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

The most dangerous part of the attempt to "retrofit" Xenon headlamps is that sometimes you get a deceptive and illusory "improvement" in the performance of the headlamp. The performance of the headlamp is perceived to be "better" because of the much higher level of foreground lighting (on the road immediately in front of the car). However, the beam patterns produced by this kind of "conversion" virtually always give less distance light, and often an alarming lack of light where there's meant to be a relative maximum in light intensity. The result is the illusion that you can see better than you actually can, and that's not safe.

It's tricky to judge headlamp beam performance without a lot of knowledge, a lot of training and a lot of special equipment, because subjective perceptions are very misleading. Having a lot of strong light in the foreground, that is on the road close to the car and out to the sides, is very comforting and reliably produces a strong impression of "good headlights". The problem is that not only is foreground lighting of decidedly secondary importance when travelling much above 30 mph, but having a very strong pool of light close to the car causes your pupils to close down, worsening your distance vision...all the while giving you this false sense of security. This is to say nothing of the massive amounts of glare to other road users and backdazzle to you, the driver, that results from these "retrofits".

JustinGTP
04-25-2010, 01:15 AM
^^ LOL you have no fucking idea what you're talking about. You've linked to an article that is talking about putting HIDs into STOCK halogen housings.

We are talking about an actual PROJECTOR instead of a REFLECTOR.

You have no idea about anything to do with OEM setups, kelvin ratings and the difference between drop in hid kits and professional retrofits. Go read more about it on hidplanet and maybe you'll understand rather than posting stupid irrelevant links.

Redlyne_mr2
04-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Wow some people take Hid's waaayyy to seriously lol.

rc2002
04-25-2010, 01:22 PM
^^ LOL you have no fucking idea what you're talking about. You've linked to an article that is talking about putting HIDs into STOCK halogen housings.

You have no idea about anything to do with OEM setups, kelvin ratings and the difference between drop in hid kits and professional retrofits. Go read more about it on hidplanet and maybe you'll understand rather than posting stupid irrelevant links.

Stick your foot in your mouth much? It's kind of ironic that you're telling others they don't know what they're talking about when you're the one who's clueless. You're mistaken if you believe that all projectors are made equal. Halogen projectors are much different from HID projectors. Not only the way the bulb is positioned within it, but even differences in the lens itself.

I've owned cars with all combinations of reflector and projector based HID and Halogen housings. I've retrofitted both HID projectors and HID reflectors into halogen housings. I've tried all different kelvin ratings of drop in HID setups - 4300k, 5000k, 6000k, 8000k and got rid of them in short order due to lack of performance.

Maybe you should stop professing to be an expert by reading select posts by random people on the internet.

TomcoPDR
04-25-2010, 01:27 PM
^^ Richard when the hell did you get up to 300 user ratings??? :eek: :eek:

Anyways, continue on with topic :burnout:

dj_rice
04-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Wow some people take Hid's waaayyy to seriously lol.

And GTS Jeff isn't even around :rofl:

TT-fast
04-25-2010, 07:30 PM
its fine if ppl have projectors that can distribute the light properly but when ppl just have like basic civic or truck plastic lights they blind u so much

i had hids on my integra not one person ever complained,

ppl just need to chill most sstock lights on benz and bmws and trucks are more blinding

JustinGTP
04-25-2010, 07:54 PM

Stick your foot in your mouth much? It's kind of ironic that you're telling others they don't know what they're talking about when you're the one who's clueless. You're mistaken if you believe that all projectors are made equal. Halogen projectors are much different from HID projectors. Not only the way the bulb is positioned within it, but even differences in the lens itself.

I've owned cars with all combinations of reflector and projector based HID and Halogen housings. I've retrofitted both HID projectors and HID reflectors into halogen housings. I've tried all different kelvin ratings of drop in HID setups - 4300k, 5000k, 6000k, 8000k and got rid of them in short order due to lack of performance.

Maybe you should stop professing to be an expert by reading select posts by random people on the internet.

Sounds like you're the one who's reading select posts and calling random people out. Tell me WHERE I wrote that halogen and xenon projectors are the same?

I've done retrofits with bosch porsche 997 bi-xenons and BMW e46 bixenons. I've played with the cheap kits and the cheap bulbs. I've seen the hotspots created by the halogen projectors, I've seen the badly rebased bulbs created for h3, h4, 9007 etc kits.

I consider myslef an expert on the subject because I took the time to learn from others and I have an interest in the subject. Dunno what your problem is.

rc2002
04-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Sounds like you're the one who's reading select posts and calling random people out. Tell me WHERE I wrote that halogen and xenon projectors are the same?

I've done retrofits with bosch porsche 997 bi-xenons and BMW e46 bixenons. I've played with the cheap kits and the cheap bulbs. I've seen the hotspots created by the halogen projectors, I've seen the badly rebased bulbs created for h3, h4, 9007 etc kits.

I consider myslef an expert on the subject because I took the time to learn from others and I have an interest in the subject. Dunno what your problem is.

I'll restate your words:

You have no idea about anything to do with OEM setups, kelvin ratings and the difference between drop in hid kits and professional retrofits. Go read more about it on hidplanet and maybe you'll understand rather than posting stupid irrelevant links

He has projectors. So no, he'll see more now

1.) I'm not calling random people out, I'm just trying to correct misinformation. I'm not going to argue with someone who has posted credible information.

By the way, that link I posted is 100% relevant. I've linked to an article about putting HIDs into halogen housings. And guess what? The topic at hand is about putting HIDs into halogen housings.

2.) Backtrack all you want. Maybe you didn't explicitly write that halogen and HID projectors are the same. But anyone reading this discussion can clearly see that you've implied that they are the same.

3.) You're contradicting yourself now. At first you said that he would see more with his HID setup just because he had projectors. But now you say that you know all about the hotspots created by using halogen projectors and the badly rebased bulbs.

4.) My problem is that you claim to be an expert but you're obviously not. You're spreading misinformation and you're resorting to personal attacks while you do it. Very classy.

Just to keep on track with the original topic of the thread. Here are some pictures of light output with an HID kit with halogen projectors and with HID projectors. Beam pattern, width, and glare are all shown.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-second-generation/416422-why-i-can-never-go-back-to-hid-kits-in-halogen-projectors-pic-intensive.html

n1zm0
04-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by TT-fast
i had hids on my integra not one person ever complained,

how could they complain if theyre driving in the oncoming lane? :poosie:

kbye
04-26-2010, 04:23 PM
Another HID thread gone crazy. Pretty funny how defensive/offensive some people get.

JustinGTP
04-26-2010, 04:36 PM

I'm just trying to correct misinformation.

I didn't give misinformation.

By the way, that link I posted is 100% relevant. I've linked to an article about putting HIDs into halogen housings. And guess what? The topic at hand is about putting HIDs into halogen housings.

I'll give you that, it is relevant to the first post.

Backtrack all you want. Maybe you didn't explicitly write that halogen and HID projectors are the same. But anyone reading this discussion can clearly see that you've implied that they are the same.

This is where you lose your professionalism. You state that I didn't explicitly write that halogen and HID projectors are the same. Exactly. Thank you. I did not. So why are you trying to hang me to a statement I didn't write? I did not imply anything. You incorrectly interpreted what I wrote.

You're contradicting yourself now. At first you said that he would see more with his HID setup just because he had projectors. But now you say that you know all about the hot spots created by using halogen projectors and the badly rebased bulbs.

Exactly, I do know about the difference. We also didn't go into whether or not the guy has halogen projectors or HID projectors, so I didn't want to confuse anyone by bringing up this difference. People as it is have a hard time understanding all the differences as it is.

My problem is that you claim to be an expert but you're obviously not. You're spreading misinformation and you're resorting to personal attacks while you do it. Very classy.

While you spend your time trying to dissect what I wrote instead of adding to the collective good of why most people on beyond favour proper retrofits as opposed to drop in kits. I know that I know a lot, not everything, but a lot when it comes to HIDs, retrofits and cheap kits. By the way, I'm really not interested to hear anything else you have to say to me on this subject. We are both knowledgeable on HIDs and I'll leave it at that.