PDA

View Full Version : City Jobs

James
12-08-2003, 05:44 PM
I thought it had been talked about before, but i did a search and nothing came up. Does anyone on here work for the City?( landscaping, Roads etc...)... i was gonna look into getting a job for next spring, and i know its somewhat hard( limited spots or whatever), so i figured i should start now. If anyone knows what the best way to apply would be,( or has a hookup :D ) that would be great , Thanks.

max_boost
12-08-2003, 08:11 PM
I hear the benefits are awesome and the pay is good too!!

Shaolin
12-08-2003, 10:28 PM
they pay stupidly well and benefits kick ass..

prosh
12-08-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by James
I thought it had been talked about before, but i did a search and nothing came up. Does anyone on here work for the City?( landscaping, Roads etc...)... i was gonna look into getting a job for next spring, and i know its somewhat hard( limited spots or whatever), so i figured i should start now. If anyone knows what the best way to apply would be,( or has a hookup :D ) that would be great , Thanks.

Either go down to City Hall and check the current job postings on the board by the front enterance or go to www.calgary.ca and look under Career Opportunities on the far right sidebar.

bart
12-09-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by James

whats wrong with the NSC? lol

James
12-09-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by bart

whats wrong with the NSC? lol

haha, i havnt been there for 4-5 months now.

ecstasy_civic
12-09-2003, 03:36 AM
My gf's brother has been on as a foreman for the last 3 yrs, your right, they do make stupid money
He said he works an average of 3hrs in a 10hr shift for $19bucks an hour lol.

Im hoping to be on his crew this year, I was a week late last year which promted me to do my own landscaping.

TomTom
12-16-2003, 06:28 PM
i have dental and medical with awsome coverage, 17.01$/hour i will post up when hireing begins.

with parks you wills start as a lab1 at 13.32 (weed whip......)

Mckenzie
12-22-2003, 01:39 AM
I have worked for the city for the last four years. They are by far the best organization I have ever worked for. Great pay, great hours, great benefits, grea morale, and safe working environments.

The best department hands down is Waterworks. I have worked with Parks, and worked along side the guys from Streets department. I dont think you would want to do sanitation or wastewater.

The easiest job to get into is with Parks. The longest season will be with Waterworks, Roads or Wastewater.

BTW Waterworks employees start at lab 4 which will be over $15.25 next season. Combine that with the rare 3 day work week, and you will have the best summer job you could ask for.

;)

Apply before the end of January for the best chance at all of the seasonal positions. Good luck!

finboy
12-28-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by TomTom
i have dental and medical with awsome coverage, 17.01$/hour i will post up when hireing begins.

been there done that, bought a minidisc player after the first week, it got way easier after that, but 6 weeks of straight weed wacking SUCKED. it got WAY better after that though.

you meet some great people (as well as some you wish you hadn't met) but the pay is great and depending where you are, you could work 4 days a week.

i can't wait for spring so i can work in the cemetaries again, by the end of the season i was making 16/hour to drive around in a golf cart and water sod or help the grave digging crew by driving dirt from the grave to the dirt pile. plus i was only working mon-thurs and pulling in 800-900 dollar pay cheques.

its hard to get in though, my dad works in city hall and even i had trouble getting in. your best bet is to find out when the open house is, and apply at EVERY table, make sure to conversate with all the people, and pray.

after that comes the "team" interview...that was a blast :rolleyes:

and if you do get on, avoid the urge to goto 7-11 for lunch every day, i couldn't believe how much money i spent there when i added it up.

James
12-28-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by TomTom

thats awesome, thanks man :thumbsup:

Mckenzie
12-29-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by finboy

and if you do get on, avoid the urge to goto 7-11 for lunch every day, i couldn't believe how much money i spent there when i added it up.

Haha.....

The city workers favorite place..... good ole 7-11..;)

finboy
12-29-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Mckenzie

Haha.....

The city workers favorite place..... good ole 7-11..;)

between Mc.D's, timmy's, and 7, i blew 100 in my last week of work...and thats a 4 day work week, figure that one out :dunno:

Mckenzie
12-30-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by finboy

between Mc.D's, timmy's, and 7, i blew 100 in my last week of work...and thats a 4 day work week, figure that one out :dunno:

lol....its pretty hard not too spend money when you have the chance to do it everyday. I guess you end up taking home less because you spend so much on food.:dunno:

A few people that I worked with would buy every single meal..... 3 x day (we work the 12s). They would seriously spend like $10/ meal which would equal $100 a day just on food. :nut: :nut: