PDA

View Full Version : How going green may make you mean

911fever
04-20-2010, 09:56 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/mar/15/green-consumers-more-likely-steal

A consumer of 'ethical' products such as organic food might be more inclined to cheat and steal, the study found.
When Al Gore was caught running up huge energy bills at home at the same time as lecturing on the need to save electricity, it turns out that he was only reverting to "green" type. According to a study, when people feel they have been morally virtuous by saving the planet through their purchases of organic baby food, for example, it leads to the "licensing [of] selfish and morally questionable behaviour", otherwise known as "moral balancing" or "compensatory ethics". Do Green Products Make Us Better People is published in the latest edition of the journal Psychological Science. Its authors, Canadian psychologists Nina Mazar and Chen-Bo Zhong, argue that people who wear what they call the "halo of green consumerism" are less likely to be kind to others, and more likely to cheat and steal. "Virtuous acts can license subsequent asocial and unethical behaviours," they write. [See footnote]. The pair found that those in their study who bought green products appeared less willing to share with others a set amount of money than those who bought conventional products. When the green consumers were given the chance to boost their money by cheating on a computer game and then given the opportunity to lie about it – in other words, steal – they did, while the conventional consumers did not. Later, in an honour system in which participants were asked to take money from an envelope to pay themselves their spoils, the greens were six times more likely to steal than the conventionals. Mazar and Zhong said their study showed that just as exposure to pictures of exclusive restaurants can improve table manners but may not lead to an overall improvement in behaviour, "green products do not necessarily make for better people". They added that one motivation for carrying out the study was that, despite the "stream of research focusing on identifying the 'green consumer'", there was a lack of understanding into "how green consumption fits into people's global sense of responsibility and morality and [how it] affects behaviours outside the consumption domain". The pair said their findings surprised them, having thought that just as "exposure to the Apple logo increased creativity", according to a recent study, "given that green products are manifestations of high ethical standards and humanitarian considerations, mere exposure" to them would "activate norms of social responsibility and ethical conduct". Dieter Frey, a social psychologist at the University of Munich, said the findings fitted patterns of human behaviour. "At the moment in which you have proven your credentials in a particular area, you tend to allow yourself to stray elsewhere," he said. • This footnote was added on 31 March 2010: The study findings above, and the methods used, are challenged by researchers associated with the social psychology department at the London School of Economics, the Institute of Ecological Economy Research in Berlin, and the Institute for Perspective Technological Studies in Seville. Their analysis can be found here: lrcg.co.uk

Tomaz
04-20-2010, 10:28 AM
Stupid hippies... lol

2000_SI
04-20-2010, 10:31 AM
It's no different than people who order a double baconator with extra cheese and a large fry, but ordered a diet coke because "they are healthy and look after their body"

swak
04-20-2010, 12:12 PM
I don't see how this is news.
The hulk was illustrating this before I could read.

Super_Geo
04-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by swak

We have a winner :rofl:

CMW403
04-20-2010, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by swak

nice:rofl:

Crymson
04-20-2010, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by 2000_SI
It's no different than people who order a double baconator with extra cheese and a large fry, but ordered a diet coke because "they are healthy and look after their body"

[ temporary hijack ]
Yeah, but that's a VERY stupid argument you're making.

If people went and ordered the baconator, with a side salad, and a diet coke. They're eating a high salt and fat choice, but close to normal 800 calorie meal, as opposed to those who get the fries and a large coke who add on another 500 calories of useless carbs and sugars.

It's not the baconator that makes people fatasses, it's the large fries and 3/4 litre's of coke

[ / temporary hijack]

Integra10
04-20-2010, 07:24 PM
I think we have a smug alert!

syritis
04-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by 2000_SI

if funny you mention that, cuz it's my lunch on most days. I can handle the 86grams of fat just because added bacon is worth is but the sugar in the drink causes my stomach to bleed. crohn's disease is a bitch.

i don't think going green will degrade you virtues, i think it's just that people who preach green tend to be people who are already arrogant and self righteous. only that kind of person could believe that an individual acting on unproven theories of "green consumerism" will actually make a difference to anything other then their wallet.

msommers
04-20-2010, 08:26 PM
According to a study...

Wow sounds legit for sure.

Antonito
04-20-2010, 08:47 PM
^ Studies are often legit, you just have to do them correctly. This one however, was not:

(taken from the link in the article about how various institutions are calling shenanigans on the study)

The specific shortcomings of the research are as follows:

The authors use a randomised student sample and do not control for green consumers. Using actual green consumers, would most likely have caused a different effect. Using a randomised student sample, the research is likely to result in the same (potentially misleading) finding over and over again. Randomization of the participants, event though scientifically correct, was practically misleading in this case. Further, some of the statistical findings on the interaction of priming and licensing effects, as well as other key variables are only marginally significant. It should have been discussed that a significant effect is not necessarily meaningful and that the same experiment with people, who normally consume green could have had a totally different outcome.

In their experiment the authors force their participants to consume green. This is likely to lead to cognitive dissonance and moral compensation of the participants in other domains (so called contrast effects - here interpreted as ‘licensing’). Hence, the research does not proof psychological licensing by green consumers. It demonstrates, however, that forcing people to consume green can cause resistance and cognitive dissonance potentially increasing the likelihood of participates to ‘misbehave’ in other decision making domains of the experiment.

It seems like something that could happen, but reading the article where they say "greens" are 6 times more likely to steal? The hell? Something is indeed up

CUG
04-20-2010, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Antonito
^ Studies are often legit, you just have to do them correctly. This one however, was not:

(taken from the link in the article about how various institutions are calling shenanigans on the study)

It seems like something that could happen, but reading the article where they say "greens" are 6 times more likely to steal? The hell? Something is indeed up Did you buy a prius yet bro? :rofl:

ZenOps
04-20-2010, 09:06 PM
I thought this was going to be a thread on national marijuanna day 4/20.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Gallery+smokers+around+world+celebrate+hazy/2930930/story.html

For sure though, greenies get holier than thou attitudes. Just because you use a cloth shopping bag does not give you the right to shoplift an extra apple.

Happens even to Catholic priests and politicians, things get warped where you no longer believe you are doing criminal seventh level of hell type of things.

911fever
04-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by CUG
Did you buy a prius yet bro? :rofl:

lawl that's hilarious

do people agree with this study?

old&slow
04-23-2010, 03:16 PM
I can see the validity here. Uptight middle upper class people who become even more self righteous because they see themselves as better by making better choices!