PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Inspection

torob
04-20-2010, 10:38 AM
I did a search and didn't find anything so i thought i would just ask.
For insurance inspection, not OOP... how much do mechanics usually charge and is there any good places to go to?

I googled around and on some forum someone said if you look on kijiji there are mechanics that'll come to you and do it for $50..
I called Canadian tire and they wanted $105

Edit: Mazda dealership is $129

Zero102
04-20-2010, 10:46 AM
It varies from place to place as you have already found.
Some shops charge 30 minutes, some charge 60. There are a couple mobile inspection companies around as well, but typically they charge more like $80 or $100 (at least in my experience). Call a couple local shops such as fountain tire or brake/muffler shops, many of them will do insurance inspections. Pretty much you just shop around until you find one with a price you like.

Perhaps somebody can chime in with some recent prices?

Also worth noting, if this is __BEFORE__ you buy a car, take it to a shop that knows the type of car you are buying, often this means a specialty shop or a dealership. When you are making an investment make sure it is properly inspected.

Masked Bandit
04-20-2010, 11:01 AM
The only warning I have for you is don't chose the shop PURELY on price. I've had so many customers come to me saying "the inspection was on sale for $49 but then the car needed $650 in work to pass when I didn't think there was anything wrong with it". How cheap was that inspection now?

I've had pretty good luck with the mobile inspection guys and I think it's because they are not there to repair your car so it's not really in their interest to come up with a bunch of fake stuff that's "wrong" with the car in hopes of getting the work.

Try Carmine at 403-275-4745.

torob
04-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Called several places...

Canadian Tire - $105
Mazda Dealership - $129
Fountain Tire - $120
Minute Muffler & Brake - $109.95
Knibbe Automotive $114
Supreme Mobile Auto Repairs - $60
Carmine - $60

So the last two are the cheapest..
Supreme Mobile Auto Repairs is in Tuscany, which is a good location
Carmine is in NE and they want $84 to come or $60 if i drop off

03ozwhip
04-20-2010, 10:18 PM
if MB says Carmine, go to Carmine.

Darkenergy
05-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Instead of opening a new thread I'll just add on to this one, does anyone know what is require to pass an insurance inspection?

Masked Bandit
05-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Darkenergy
Instead of opening a new thread I'll just add on to this one, does anyone know what is require to pass an insurance inspection?

- all lights / markers
- tires in decent shape
- suspension good
- brakes
- windshield free of cracks in the driver's field of view
- horn & e-brake (not kidding)

Those take care of most of it. Of course what's "safe" for something like suspension is somewhat subjective.

510-Trevor
05-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Here is a link to the official Alberta insurance inspection form:
http://www.prairievilla.com/pdf/vehicleInspectionReport.pdf
Don't rely on the shop to use this form as they can make more money by using their own (their's may have more thorough checks and requirements).

03ozwhip
05-22-2010, 03:29 PM
not looking for an insurance inspection but just a regular inspection to see if the car is ok to buy or not. MB is Carmine good for that?

.jl-
05-25-2010, 05:20 PM
anyone here ever done an inspection from Kal Tire?
experiences?

03ozwhip
05-25-2010, 05:28 PM
no, BUT i just got back from taking my new car for an inspection at Supreme Mobile Auto Repairs - $60, $80 if you want the computer tested and hell come to you. i went to him because it was easier for me this time, but go with him, tell him cory with the mazda 6 referred you, hes a good guy.:thumbsup:

StreetRacerX
05-25-2010, 05:32 PM
Our company used to have Ron with Supreme Mobile Auto fix our vehicles, he did good work for a reasonable price, I would definitely recommend him if your looking at the mobile guys.

Deetz
05-25-2010, 05:37 PM
It's a simple a quick safety inspection. I just got mine done by one of Beyond's great sponsors

Option Auto :)