PDA

View Full Version : Mazda Rx-7 Prototype in the works

Kg810
04-20-2010, 02:00 PM
http://image.motortrend.com/f/28865371+w750/mazda-RX-7-illustration.jpg

MotorTrend
If you thought Mazda's RX-7 replacement was dead, think again. A source based in Hiroshima confirms that the company is testing an RX-7 prototype and that one mule is powered by a bi-fuel rotary which can run on either gas or diesel. Mazda's evaluation department has reportedly invited several external drivers and racers to test the mules, while the design team has sought feedback on ideas from potential buyers at top secret customer clinics.

But, as our source explains, the green light for production has not yet been handed down from the top. That's because Mazda's engineers, wanting to keep the rotary alive, have not quite worked out the best combination of performance, fuel economy and emissions.

Our source tells that the next generation 16X rotary, as it's called inside the company, has achieved significant improvements in fuel efficiency but still lacks the strong top end punch Mazda is striving for. Other issues include oil consumption -- the current RX-8 rotary swallows burns more oil than it should. Power for the 16X is expected to clear 300 hp, with 0-60 mph acceleration times dropping to under 5.0 seconds.

Intriguingly, the 2-stroke 16X rotary prototype does not seem to mind what fuel it sips, which is why Mazda engineers are proposing it be set up to run on either gas or diesel. In fact, some industry types say that the rotary can run on just about anything, even castor oil. With this combination, Mazda hopes to rectify the prototype's shortcomings.

A recent independent survey revealed that demand for an affordable rotary powered sports car is still as strong as it's ever been in the U.S. If it wasn't for the U.S. market, and more precisely Mazda North American Operations, which continues to push for the introduction of a new RX-7, the car would have been shelved years ago. But the RX-7 lives, and Mazda has even given us some hints as to what the new car might look like, with expressive sheet metal echoing the avant-garde surfacing of concepts such as the Kabura and Furai.

Kinda looks like the FT-86 concept

Tomaz
04-20-2010, 02:22 PM
Yeah Mazda FANBOY!!!!! :D :burnout:

Ok, they want to keep the rotary alive... I get it, kinda.

They want some more punch? How about adding a freaking turbo?:dunno:

Anyway, looks cool. I hope it doesn't keep with the current "whale-mouth" theme.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-20-2010, 02:30 PM
In fact, some industry types say that the rotary can run on just about anything, even castor oil or apex seals.

Fixed for accuracy.

But seriously, I'd love to see a new RX-7, but I'm not really the biggest fan of Mazda's current Happyface styling trends.

wintonyk
04-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz
Yeah Mazda FANBOY!!!!! :D :burnout:

Ok, they want to keep the rotary alive... I get it, kinda.

They want some more punch? How about adding a freaking turbo?:dunno:

Anyway, looks cool. I hope it doesn't keep with the current "whale-mouth" theme.

:werd:

The whale mouth is hideous

.jl-
04-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Does Mazda actually think that the happy face bumper will attract people to buy it..Maybe the 16X rotary will but definitely not the looks of the car

lilmira
04-20-2010, 03:32 PM
The Furai looks good. It would be nice if they keep it closer to the Furai concept than some Disney characters.

jsn
04-20-2010, 03:41 PM
It looks like a 350z mixed with an rx8. They really need to ditch the front end. All mazda cars look like they're smiling

Kg810
04-20-2010, 03:42 PM
lol @ the whale mouth comments

heavyD
04-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by .jl-
Does Mazda actually think that the happy face bumper will attract people to buy it..

I am starting to see a few of the new happy Mazda 3's on the streets so maybe we give the general public too much credit for having taste?

slinkie
04-21-2010, 01:41 AM
i love the happy mouth

if u dont like it, thats life

heavyD
04-21-2010, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by slinkie
i love the happy mouth

if u dont like it, thats life

Case in point.:)

.jl-
04-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

I am starting to see a few of the new happy Mazda 3's on the streets so maybe we give the general public too much credit for having taste?

yeah, I'm actually quite surprised on how many of those new mazda 3's I see on the streets. I like the look of the FD's and I think they should use a similar design for the new rx7

This is still a prototype so theres still a chance they will remove the happy face:dunno:

K3RMiTdot
04-21-2010, 10:49 AM
i personally think the happy face isnt too bad.