PDA

View Full Version : Auto Marketing Group SCAM

mr2mike
04-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Another scam.

Guy will call you, say who they are and they have a buyer for your vehicle. They go over details then call you back a few days later saying the buyer really wants your vehicle. Then basically the short of it is they try to secure a finders fee via Credit Card from you.

Did a little search and...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/153729-has-anyone-heard-auto-marketing-group.html

http://www.winnipegheights.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210743

Just a warning for others.

Here's the email they'll continuously send to you after every call they make with you.

Thank you for taking time with me to go over our service.
My extension is 218 at 1-888-760-3426.
Here is a summary:
Cost of our service: $400 advertising fee + $100 AMG Guarantee (both net of GST)
AMG Guarantee: if we do not sell your vehicle within our maximum 12 week period, we will refund the advertising fee.
We will scan for finance clients while your vehicle is in our registry
We will require you to send us the VIN and a minimum of one photo so that we can show the photos to interested parties, as well as run the VIN to ensure a clean vehicle history.
We advertise with Canwest global media (Toronto Star, Ottawa Citizen, Calgary Herald, Edmonton Journal), Car and Driver, Walmart, AOL Canada.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to call customer service or myself.

Regards,

Jason Gain
Finance Manager for AMG-AB
Auto Marketing Group
1-888-760-3426 x 218

Dilmah
04-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

freshprince1
04-21-2010, 10:18 AM
People have no shame these days. It's a tragedy really.

Kloubek
04-21-2010, 10:21 AM
This kind of scam has been going on for some time. I was selling a car some time ago and got a call from such a place. They woke me up, so I was kinda out of it. When I came to my senses and said I wasn't comfortable, the guy told me he spent so much time on me and I just cost him money, why would I not want a guaranteed sale, etc etc.

Against my brighter side, I provided my credit card information after being told they won't charge it until the buyer agrees to the sale.

Of course, they did charge it. Right away.

I got the money back via credit card protection - but it was a hassle. Never again.

Quite embarassing to be taken like this - I'm normally really alert to such scams.

Skyline_Addict
04-21-2010, 10:55 AM
yes, this scam has been going on for a very long time.

when I posted my car on autotrader a few years back, I would get a call from these guys (different person from different 'company) atleast a dozen times per week. it's for this reason alone that i'm reluctant to use autotrader again.

it's frustrating and pathetic.

Ichigo
05-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Speak of the Devil, Now I know why I dont list my number up on the ads.

Just got a call from the rudest character from Automarketing group today. Basically a Justin Brown. Kept on calling me dumb for not wanting to sell my car to them for an easy price of $499. In the end it basically ended up with him saying good luck selling your piece of crap, and me saying #)$*@#)*$!!!.

Like seriously how many times do you have to say no? and is there a place I can call to complain?

All their calls are unkown name and number, Except Mr. Justin Brown (if that's his real name) left his number and extension

1-888-760-3426 EXT. 211

mr2mike
05-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Haha ya that guy called me the second tiime around. Wouldn't take no for an answer. Ended uo hanging up on him. Super pushy for my credit card num. Then he said I can get him the vin later.

RecoilS14
05-28-2010, 10:07 PM
When i put my truck up on Kijjiji i would get calls like this all the time, usually from the states.

Graham_A_M
05-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Yeah they called me about when I was trying to sell my Z4.
They had a few "buyers" lined up as well. So I said let these said sellers call me about the car themselves, and that was that.
:rofl:

Pacman
05-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Do they require the $500 right away?

What if you offer to sign a contract stating you will pay them $500 after you have closed the deal and received the FULL ADVERTISED PRICE from your listing?

max_boost
05-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Ask them, can you guarantee me a sale? If he says yes, this is where it gets funny, I use this line every time.

Say I'm asking $40,000.

I tell them to cut me a cheque for $40,000 less the $500 so $39,500 and the car is theirs to keep.

Then you can argue back and forth.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Integra10
05-30-2010, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I've sold a few cars on Kijiji and never had this happen to me. :dunno: :dunno:

InRich
05-31-2010, 12:50 AM
wholy fuck... when I was selling my accord, I got at least 20 calls from these mother fuckers, everytime it was a differant agency, and a differant person calling.... one time the fucker woke me up, and I just ripped into him about what a pathetic life he must live to be doing what he does...

2Valve0
05-31-2010, 01:23 AM
Call your service provider and ask for a number trace and report it to the police :dunno:

I'm pretty sure even if its private telus/shaw can trace the number if it is fraud

aram1000
06-15-2010, 09:44 AM
i reveived a call from these guys yesterday, wasn't super pushy, but i have yet to get a call back from them, glad i did some searching first, thanks for the heads up OP

Zero102
06-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Pacman
Do they require the $500 right away?

What if you offer to sign a contract stating you will pay them $500 after you have closed the deal and received the FULL ADVERTISED PRICE from your listing?

That is exactly what I suggested when they called me. They said that would make them a dealership and not a marketing group and therefore they cannot do it. I told him that was a pile of shit and hung up on him.

These idiots were calling me at all hours of the day and night and just would not take no for an answer. I tried contacting their parent company with no real success. In the end I just decided to stop listing my vehicles on Auto Trader, as it seems that is where they get their numbers from.

SilverGS
06-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Yeah I have gotten calls from them or similar. That's why I stopped putting my number on the ad. I figure if they used the internet to find the ad they can use it to e-mail me about it.

Luckily the person I got wasn't terribly pushy. Once I said I would not pay in advance he gave up.