PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear USA

atgilchrist
04-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Coming to the History Channel

Top Gear Goes Stateside
American spin-off to shoot this autumn with new presenters.
by Chris Tilly, IGN UK

UK, April 21, 2010 - BBC2's most popular programme - Top Gear - is about to get the remake treatment, with an American cast hosting a US version of the show this autumn.

According to the BBC, the spin-off will be hosted by comedian Adam Ferrara, racing analyst Rutledge Wood and stunt driver Tanner Foust. At present 10 episodes have been commissioned, with the show set to air on The History Channel in the States.

Hosted by Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond, the UK version of Top Gear is a humorous look at the world of motor vehicles, and BBC Worldwide's Jane Tranter believes the show's popularity could translate.

"There's a different relationship with cars in the US and a fascination with customisation that's much greater than in the UK", explained Tranter. "There's the potential for the US Top Gear to have even greater traction with an audience."

Whether there will be any crossover between the shows remains to be seen, while the BBC states "it is not known whether 'tame racing driver' The Stig will have any part to play."

http://tv.ign.com/articles/108/1085106p1.html

Pahnda
04-21-2010, 01:06 PM
Adam Ferrara is like an unfunny Robin Williams crossed with a boring Denis Leary.

HondaKid
04-21-2010, 01:11 PM
They will not give up on this idea for TG USA, the last attempt licked dog's balls. TG just back away from the revenue generator TG USA has potential for, not everything is bankable. Just a thought, get Rickey Gervais involved, it seems to have worked for The Office USA. I have never watched more than a few minutes of the USA Office version, spoiled by the premium UK version.

There is only one TG worth watching.

TKRIS
04-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Farerra instead of Carolla=lame.

Like him or not, Carolla knows cars, and doesn't often pull punches or self censor. Maybe that's why they didn't ask him back.

This is going to be a catasterfuck, and I'm not even a big 'Top Gear' fan.

TorqueDog
04-21-2010, 01:24 PM
They got rid of the hybrid-driving weenie, at least.

This Top Gear USA business worries me.

kertejud2
04-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by HondaKid
Just a thought, get Rickey Gervais involved, it seems to have worked for The Office USA. I have never watched more than a few minutes of the USA Office version, spoiled by the premium UK version.

Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant are listed as producers for the US Office to collect more royalty money. Aside from Merchant directing an episode, neither have any active role in the show, its production or content.

I don't think either have any interest in cars, especially Gervais so I don't know what they would bring to an American car show, especially since their humor isn't exactly targeted for the American viewer.

JustinGTP
04-21-2010, 01:48 PM
The US remakes a lot of UK content. Whether it comes to movies or tv shows. I won't be bothering with the US version. Plus, the new season starts this summer of the original TG.

Zephyr
04-21-2010, 08:28 PM
I want Carolla, basically is another Clarkson, insults everyone and says what he wants to say, and Carolla knows his cars.

And a NASCAR analyst?! "Oh lets test this car to see how good it takes left turns." "Oh I love this Chevy because it takes the left turn very good."

I'm gonna watch this, with the same expectations I have for Top Gear UK because they are carrying the Top Gear name into my country. Hope it isn't crap.

And why Adam Ferrara, why not Christopher Titus?!

</rant>

K3RMiTdot
04-22-2010, 12:23 AM
look forward to see how this turns out!

Skrilla
04-22-2010, 09:29 AM
:thumbsdow doubt it will even come close.

Wrinkly
04-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Meh - it's American; I'm not expecting much.

jonnycat
04-22-2010, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Zephyr

&lt;/rant&gt;

+1

Titus should be #1 Choice.

They could make a go of it with Leno, Seinfeld, Tim Allen and Titus.

95teetee
04-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr

I never even thought of Titus- that would have made a ton of sense (probably why he's not involved lol) and I would have watched it.

jsn
04-22-2010, 03:13 PM
I don't get the point. I'd rather watch UK Top gear over US top gear anyday..

btimbit
04-22-2010, 03:43 PM
One of the reasons Top Gear is so successful is because the BBC doesn't have to worry about pissing off sponsors. Any American version won't have that luxury, and won't be a good motoring show because of it.

Top Gear Russia is the best one and we all know it.

97'Scort
04-25-2010, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by jonnycat
Scrach Seinfeld and you've got a deal :)

Why won't they just clue in that what we really want is them to broadcast BBC Top Gear here instead of making a new show? Tanner Faust can drive but he's got zero personality. Do they need to make another show to prove that?

Zephyr
04-25-2010, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by jonnycat

+1

Titus should be #1 Choice.

Hell no to Leno, he'll just make the show all about him. Imagine if Leno was on there and they did the celebrity in a reasonably priced car and the guest celebrity was Conan hahaha