PDA

View Full Version : Class 6 Training Classes/ Road Test

black300
04-21-2010, 01:08 PM
So about 6 months ago I passed my class 6 knowledge test, and it expires in another 6 months so I am thinking about getting the actual class 6, but the problem is I have never driven a motorcycle before or anything of that sort. (atv, dirt bike etc.) So I don't really know how it works, like I mean the shifting and controlling the thortle and what not. I am wondering if anyone knows any good places where I can get my training classes from, btw I do not have my own motorcycle so will need to rent or borrow the driving schools. I called this one driving school they told me it would take 3 days, one day in class, two days is on the road with their bike for $456 plus GST, and $120 for the road test and another $50 to borrow their bike for the road test.

If someone can please help me out and tell me where to go and have a rough idea of how much it costs that would be great. Or any other suggestions?

Thank you!

japan_us
04-21-2010, 01:10 PM
There is a section appropriately called Bike Talk (http://forums.beyond.ca/category/3/bike-talk/) . That's where you should go.

Trini
04-21-2010, 01:22 PM
and within that forum there is a very good thread
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/264508/obtaining-your-class-6-insurance-gear-and-more/

bignerd
04-21-2010, 02:02 PM
A lot of courses will be booked full already, you needed to be doing this months ago. I reccomend Too Cool Motorcycle school as that is where I took my lessons and got my license. They included the test in the price of the course and supplied bikes and gear.

I recommend doing the test at the bike course in the parking lot, it would be hella hard to do out on the open road(At Too Cool the tester comes there and you do a series of skill tests in the parking lot).

japan_us
04-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by bignerd

I recommend doing the test at the bike course in the parking lot, it would be hella hard to do out on the open road(At Too Cool the tester comes there and you do a series of skill tests in the parking lot).

Negator. Lot testing went the way of the dodo. Road tests only these days.

black300
04-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Oops sorry if I posted in the wrong place, Mods can you please move. Thanks

bignerd
04-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by japan_us

Negator. Lot testing went the way of the dodo. Road tests only these days.

Not according to the Service Alberta website...

Requirements: Written test and vision screening and a road test for applicants with a Class 7 or if no licence presented. Written test, vision screening and skill test for applicants with a Class 5 or better.

Says you can do a skill test (which would be the parking lot test) if you have a class 5 license.

japan_us
04-22-2010, 01:11 PM
^ The site is wrong then.

My wife got her Class 6 last year and it was road test only. To be sure, I just called the registry - they said that some examiners will start the test on a lot, but will definitely still take you out on the road.

ryder_23
04-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Trini
and within that forum there is a very good thread
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/264508/obtaining-your-class-6-insurance-gear-and-more/

Bingo, all the answers are in here. You may start in a lot as stated, the examiner will make sure your road ready, then off to the streets.

My test only took 30 minutes. Piece of cake. Make you do a "hill start" which was basically from a flat surface. Hardest part is if your not familiar with the community, just keep an eye out for school/playground zones, speed limits, etc..Don't forget to turn your signal light off :)

turbotrip
04-22-2010, 01:38 PM
U can't do the lot test anymore, but u should be glad since it was a lot harder than the road test

scat19
04-22-2010, 02:36 PM
+1 on signal. Within 3 seconds. I left mine on for about 10, and I was like shit.

Hill start is super easy but you have to show the bike is in neutral - by switching hands and feet!

Take the course - you'll he glad you did, it makes the road test easy an prepares you for riding smart.

Also - unless your a retard with no hand eye coordination, it's easy. (yes, there were people who took the test and I couldn't believe they were even trying, couldn't even stay stable when stopped!)

natejj
04-22-2010, 02:51 PM
As for schools, call right away. I know Too Cool Is booked to mid july. Don't know about CSC though.