PDA

View Full Version : good bike repair shop

taemo
04-22-2010, 11:11 AM
hey guys.. can you please recommend a good bike repair shop in Calgary? preferably in the NE/NW area.

my wheels aren't that straight anymore or can't hold air for long after hitting a car (not my fault), plus my derailleur aren't functioning properly (can't pedal backwards without the chain falling or getting stuck.
now this is just a cheap 350$ canadian tire bike.

should I go look for a new bike instead like this
http://www.sportchek.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3990170
ill check bow cycle too but i think they are slighlty out of my budget

swak
04-22-2010, 01:21 PM
Eurotech...

Roy is the best bicycle mechanic I've ever met. Takes pride in his work.
I'd strongly recommend him!

GL With the bicycle repairs

taemo
04-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by swak
Eurotech...

Roy is the best bicycle mechanic I've ever met. Takes pride in his work.
I'd strongly recommend him!

GL With the bicycle repairs

awesome, thanks!

gave them a call and will be bringing my bike to their shop this afternoon.

swak
04-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Awesome!

Let me know how it goes.

DarkDream
04-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Pure Cycle is good...

http://www.purecycle.ca/

ekguy
04-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by DarkDream
Pure Cycle is good...

http://www.purecycle.ca/

I just went there to get my wheel checked, and although I needed a new wheel which sucked for me, the service I received will keep me going there for sure.

I would highly recommend them to anyone, experienced or not.

I told him I didn't know much about bikes and he explained a bunch of things to me.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: from me!!!

msommers
04-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Pedal Head is fantastic to deal with.

GreyFox
06-06-2016, 12:21 PM
Instead of making a new thread, thought I'd just bump this one.

Is there such a thing as a repair shop in the city (or close surrounding area) that doesn’t book repairs 2+ weeks out? Seems like all the major shops in the city always have a 2 week wait for any type of service work. One of my spokes came off (no idea how) my rear wheel of my mountain bike while out for a ride on Saturday. Brought it to the bike shop downtown and they said it would be the 17th by the time I get it back. I could understand if it was some sort of major servicing, but for quick fixes? I’m sure some of these repairs the guys could do in the same amount of time it takes to write up the work order haha. Also, why is it that even when you have an appointment booked, they need the bike there for like 3-4 days? That part frustrates me too, but there’s got to be a reason for it…

Any suggestions? Doing it myself is pretty much out of the question – I have zero knowledge of bike repair (replacing the tube on the front wheel would be considered a win for me, pathetic, I know) and have no tools even if I did have the know how.

RealJimmyJames
06-06-2016, 12:25 PM
A buddy of mine uses these guys.
http://www.calgarybicycleservice.com/contact/

Brent.ff
06-06-2016, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by GreyFox
Instead of making a new thread, thought I'd just bump this one.
One of my spokes came off (no idea how) my rear wheel of my mountain bike while out for a ride on Saturday.
Any suggestions? Doing it myself is pretty much out of the question – I have zero knowledge of bike repair (replacing the tube on the front wheel would be considered a win for me, pathetic, I know) and have no tools even if I did have the know how.

Did you lose the spoke? Can you hear the bolt-end of the spoke inside the tire? If you can, and can replace a tube, you can fix this...

I am also mechanically un-inclined, but managed to replace my girlfriends spoke with no problem when hers popped off this year. It is very easy.

Deflate tire, remove tire, remove spoke tape (managed to do this without wrecking it so could reuse it). Get the bolt thing to fall through the hole. Put spoke back on wheel, twist it into the bolt. Tighten bolt with a screwdriver. Replace tape, replace tube, done!

lilmira
06-06-2016, 12:35 PM
My rear derailleur was fucked few weeks ago, brought it to Cyclepath North and I had it back in a day or two. My go to shop now.

The bike Shop sucks.

D'z Nutz
06-06-2016, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
The bike Shop sucks.

I was texting to my cousin how she should stay away from The Bike Shop and my phone auto corrected to The Bile Shop.

Seemed appropriate :rofl:

Mitsu3000gt
06-06-2016, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Pedal Head is fantastic to deal with.

+1 I've used them for over a decade now, always good. Talk to Alan or Alex.

swak
06-07-2016, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

I was texting to my cousin how she should stay away from The Bike Shop and my phone auto corrected to The Bile Shop.

Seemed appropriate :rofl:

THIS.

Before I knew what I was doing with bikes, I always popped my head in there though hahaha.... Service is crap, need to hunt down someone to tell you what they have... and even then half of them don't know a clincher from a tubular.

.... 8 years later being active and employed in the bicycle industry I have nothing good to say about them.

buh_buh
06-07-2016, 06:07 AM
If you need a quick fix, I'd drop it off with the guy with the mobile bike repair shop by Eau Claire. Think it's called Joe's bike repair. Since he's mobile, he doesn't keep anything overnight. Everything is done same day. Just drop it off in the am, pick it up one the pm. He usually parks his truck at the end of 8th St. where 8th meets the Bow River.

GreyFox
06-07-2016, 08:05 AM
Bike shop was supposed to call me yesterday regarding them ordering the spoke. They never did. During the day, I ended up talking to MEC who said they could do it 2-3 days, a much more reasonable time frame than 2 weeks. Showed up at the Bike Shop a few minutes before they closed and just told them I wanted to pick my bike up, I just dropped it off the day before and they likely hadn't done anything to it yet. Guy looks up the order, says that somebody should've called me today but I explained nobody did. He seemed a bit frustrated at that (as did the guy I dropped my bike off with yesterday, he happened to be standing right there), and apologized. Guy calls downstairs to have somebody bring the bike up, and when they do guy says it's all fixed and ready to go :nut:

So long story short, I was happy that at least it's done and it was done in a timely fashion, but they still didn't call me, even to tell me my bike was ready. So mixed feelings about this visit, and judging from previous comments, will try and steer clear in the future. Next time something goes wrong I'll be trying out one of the places recommended in this thread :thumbsup:

taemo
06-21-2016, 07:43 AM
Bumping this as I dropped off my hybrid bike to Jay at Calgary Bicycle Service 2 weeks ago.
Wasn't sure if I was at the right place as he just basically turned his garage as his shop but overall very happy with his service.
He replaced my broken rear wheel, replaced the brake pads and also shortened my handle bars for a pretty good price.

Will definitely use him again for other bikes.