PDA

View Full Version : avoid Alberta Wheel Repair

jimbojones132
04-22-2010, 01:48 PM
Got hosed by Alberta Wheel Repair when I asked them to refinish my rims.

The paint had bubbles/debris in it and I asked them to redo the job. They reluctantly did and then the second time (BTW - they told me this would take a few days...and turned in to 2-3 WEEKS!!!), there were still some minor flaws and they mounted the tires on the wrong rims (both were marked for matching). When I asked the old guy (Santo?) that runs the place to make these minor fixes, he freaked out and threatened me by saying that if I didn't take my rims as-is, that he'd keep them and sell them to 'recover his costs'. Also, after 1 week the clearcoat started chipping off.

Filed a complaint with the BBB and although they investigated, Alberta Wheel Repair stopped talking to them and BBB said that this was a 'legal matter' and closed the case.

http://calgary.bbb.org/Find-Business-Reviews/
(you can also file a compliant from this link)

Sadly, they still have a 'A' rating because they only have 1 complaint!

If ANYONE else has problems with Alberta Wheel Repair in Calgary, don't just post a message here....contact the BBB and FILE A COMPLIANT!!!

im2fst4u
04-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by jimbojones132
Sadly, they still have a 'A' rating because they only have 1 complaint!

And what does this tell you? Could be due to the fact they are a very reputable company?
I have never heard anyone complain about their work and you always hear great things about them.
Perhaps this was just an unfortunate circumstance and the rims could not be repaired to your standards?
Any pictures of said rims?

If it was just shoddy workmanship then I can see filing a complaint as well.

benyl
04-22-2010, 02:05 PM
I don't know what you have been reading, but I really haven't read anything good about them. It is always bad.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=3242331#post3242331

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/17883/alberta-wheel/

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/80992/never-try-repair-volks/

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/229209/alberta-wheel-repair-and-restoration/

JustinGTP
04-22-2010, 02:08 PM
And the BBB really does nothing for you. I had to use BBB when I filed a complaint against Hallmark Auto Body and they sided with the company even though the letter that Hallmark had sent to was "we will not deal with this individual." Like, how is that satifactory? The BBB is a bunch of BS and is really advertising for local businesses.

im2fst4u
04-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by benyl
I don't know what you have been reading, but I really haven't read anything good about them. It is always bad.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=3242331#post3242331

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/80992/never-try-repair-volks/

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/229209/alberta-wheel-repair-and-restoration/

I take it all back! I was speaking from people I know that have dealt with them in the past and perhaps their work has gone down the shitter recently.

Thanks for posting the links.....good reads!

Kloubek
04-22-2010, 02:11 PM
^^ Well, 1 more personal account: I took the GTP there because it had a cracked rim which was losing air. They fixed it right up - which was a lot better of an alternative than a new one, which was some ridiculous price from GM.

jimbojones132
04-22-2010, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by im2fst4u

And what does this tell you? Could be due to the fact they are a very reputable company?
I have never heard anyone complain about their work and you always hear great things about them.
Perhaps this was just an unfortunate circumstance and the rims could not be repaired to your standards?

Please read before you speak...
1) check BEYOND.CA and see how many people have complaints about their work...excessive time, hostile attitude if you ask questions/have problems and overall hassle.

2) BS on the 'unfortunate circumstances...could not be repaired'. I NEVER said the rims were being repaired...I said they were being refinished e.g. stripped and repainted. There was nothing structurally wrong with the rims and the work was relatively easy with instructions clearly given

Painting them TWICE with paint defects, mismounted and peeling...yeah, I would call that SHODDY WORKMANSHIP

im2fst4u
04-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
^^ Well, 1 more personal account: I took the GTP there because it had a cracked rim which was losing air. They fixed it right up - which was a lot better of an alternative than a new one, which was some ridiculous price from GM.

And you J were one of the ones I was referring too. That wheel turned out great.
That was 2 years ago so after reading the threads it appears their workmanship has dramatically turned south.

jimbojones132
04-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by JustinGTP
And the BBB really does nothing for you. I had to use BBB when I filed a complaint against Hallmark Auto Body and they sided with the company even though the letter that Hallmark had sent to was "we will not deal with this individual." Like, how is that satifactory? The BBB is a bunch of BS and is really advertising for local businesses.

I will agree that the BBB are useless for resolution SOLELY on their part as they have no authority and simply closed my case when Alberta Wheel stopped talking to them.

BUT....if you go to Small Claims Court and show that they have a WELL DOCUMENTED HISTORY of bad service, then it helps your case.

Being silient or only complaining on a car forum isn't ever going to help you personally.

cet
04-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

I did the same thing last year. No problems here either.

JustinGTP
04-22-2010, 02:20 PM
No, I went back through insurance and they refunded me the amount to have their shoddy work fixed at another body shop. Then apparently the insurance company went after Hallmark for the money.

benyl
04-22-2010, 02:21 PM

And you J were one of the ones I was referring too. That wheel turned out great.
That was 2 years ago so after reading the threads it appears their workmanship has dramatically turned south.

This thread was from 2003:

They haven't been good for a long time.

jimbojones132
04-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by benyl

This thread was from 2003:

They haven't been good for a long time.

You NAILED IT!!!

The old boy turns into a raging lunatic if you dare to disagree with him (BTW - I had a WITNESS). Even if the work was 'usually' good, what kind of customer service is that?!?

I stated my experience and encourage anyone else who feels that they had been not given good service (price, time, quality or attitude) to at least get it documented via BBB.

Mitsu3000gt
04-22-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm getting a quick repair done on a rim and I'm going to be taking it to Andre @ Alloy Wheel Repair. Haven't found a bad word said about him yet:

http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/calgary/

Alberta Wheel Repair, on the other hand, has had bad reviews for almost as long as you're willing to look back. I'd never take anything there.

dsr7723
04-22-2010, 03:26 PM
I went in there with a bad rim one time... Then I got a hunch... and walked out. Just can't trust a guy named Santos it seems.

VeilOctane
04-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I'm getting a quick repair done on a rim and I'm going to be taking it to Andre @ Alloy Wheel Repair. Haven't found a bad word said about him yet:

http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/calgary/

Alberta Wheel Repair, on the other hand, has had bad reviews for almost as long as you're willing to look back. I'd never take anything there.

i had wheels repaired by Alloy Wheel Repair.

great guy to deal with.

darthVWader
04-22-2010, 04:11 PM
So Santos gave you a bad rim job? Shitty!!!!!!

SJW
04-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by darthVWader
So Santos gave you a bad rim job? Shitty!!!!!!

Worse. A shitty rim job.

inline6turbo
04-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Andre @ Alloy Wheel Repair does all my customers wheels. Awesome customer service, awesome guy, awesome results :thumbsup: No complaints yet!

I have a set of 4 trashed rims (sorry if the members reads this, but yes theyre trashed lol) being fixed tomorrow. I'll do before and afters. These are also extremely difficult rims to work on as theyre two pieces and two different metals, outter rim is brushed metal, and the inside is painted aluminum.

JustinGTP
04-22-2010, 04:52 PM
To the people who went to Alloy Wheel Repair, how much does the cost range?

C4S
04-22-2010, 05:03 PM
Then .. where else? who else?

I got one wheel, with a big chip/dent on it.. (not sure if cracked .. )

Who else fix wheel here??

inline6turbo
04-22-2010, 05:15 PM
$100-$150 per wheel depending on what type of metal it is
^^

JustinGTP
04-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Hmm that's not too bad.

Renee, was that the guy who fixed the Porsche Cayenne wheel for you?

inline6turbo
04-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Yessir!

v8killa
04-22-2010, 05:55 PM
awr must be hit and miss because i got my rims back and there were a few mistakes but they re-did it for me and got them done quick...i think the rims look brand new but i dealt with a guy named torre and not the owner you guys are talking about

VeilOctane
04-22-2010, 07:46 PM
my lips were scuffed and it looked like they were grinded down a bit... not welded and then grinded but i am happy with the results.

hey rene i would love to see before and after pictures.

Graham_A_M
04-22-2010, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by inline6turbo
Andre @ Alloy Wheel Repair does all my customers wheels. Awesome customer service, awesome guy, awesome results :thumbsup: No complaints yet!

I have a set of 4 trashed rims (sorry if the members reads this, but yes theyre trashed lol) being fixed tomorrow. I'll do before and afters. These are also extremely difficult rims to work on as theyre two pieces and two different metals, outter rim is brushed metal, and the inside is painted aluminum.

Good to know, I'll be going there instead, thanks everybody for the heads up. I was about to go to AWR too. :nut:

TurboMedic
04-22-2010, 09:35 PM

I had a 5 month painful poor workmanship and bad exerience with the owner as well a couple years ago....I would never EVER recommend them for any wheel service. Turned my $500 rim into garbage that never looked good on the car.

im2fst4u
04-22-2010, 09:55 PM
After talking to a few more people today about Alberta Wheel I have changed my opinion of them.
They have been failing the repair industry for many years now and they seem to have issues with keeping clients or acquiring new ones.
OP, I take back my endorsement of them and hope you see results from what actions you are taking against them.

97luder
04-22-2010, 10:33 PM
yeah i have one rim i need worked on, and from every thing that i have read on here about AWR i dont think i would go there,

i think i have read one good thing about them and thats cause a guy got all 4 rims painted so all the paint matched

djfob
04-24-2010, 12:09 AM
It's too bad Andre doesn't do cracked rims. I was forced to use AWR. It's been a week but will post a review when or if I get them back.

jimbojones132
04-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by djfob
It's too bad Andre doesn't do cracked rims. I was forced to use AWR. It's been a week but will post a review when or if I get them back.

Don't get me wrong; if they do a good job for your rims then thats great! However, I wouldn't judge a good job just by looking at them once and posting a thumbs-up....most people have issues with AWR 1) when they have to wait much longer than told to expect for the work to be done 2) if there are flaws in the inital work and you try to get them redone 3) down the road when the rims have been in use for some time and other issues emerge

Good luck to you.

TYMSMNY
04-24-2010, 09:46 AM
Just used Andre at Calgary BMW, initial thoughts, fantastic work! we'll have to see how it holds up.

TurboMedic
04-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by jimbojones132

Don't get me wrong; if they do a good job for your rims then thats great! However, I wouldn't judge a good job just by looking at them once and posting a thumbs-up....most people have issues with AWR 1) when they have to wait much longer than told to expect for the work to be done 2) if there are flaws in the inital work and you try to get them redone 3) down the road when the rims have been in use for some time and other issues emerge

Good luck to you.

+1 +1 and it always looked like shit.......Santo's attitude and "customer relations" skill is horrendous. I was told the rim would match, I INSISTED he was clear about that, he said "no problem". Come back in 3 days, hasn't been touched. 4 months and 3 separate poor attempts at refinishing he pulls the pay up we're done with this rim......He refused to cut me anything on the bill even, wouldn't let me take my rim. Eventually got $20 knocked off (thanks for nothing douchebag), and I leave with a drab "grey" rim that no longer has a polished lip, and looks like it was spray bombed and bad tape marks......I was livid....The rim eventually corroded and looked even worse, could never polish it well........Heres the kicker, only the spokes had to be painted, it was laid face down on a road by a friend and had a couple chips....no repair, no nothing.......His excuse was "special paint" that the factory used they can't replicate...I reminded him he assured me it would match and be flawless....he recinded on that and got angry....Seriously I hope that place goes out of business

HuMz
04-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Supriprised at all the poor reviews, I had my lip bent after going over a massive pothole when I was in Edmonton. Only took a couple days and it was repaired perfect.

I'll definetely avoid it in the future though after reading some of these reviews.

anhsicun
05-05-2010, 12:05 AM
" Andre @ Alloy Wheel Repair " only can repair certian damage rims, i got him to look at my ssr dish which he said he couldn't do cause he didn't have a certain machine / tools for the job. either way i took it too alberta wheel repair. on my way there to drop off the rims i bump into a guy who just pick up his rims which he got refinish. i took a look at it and they looked great. so i think this place is a hit and miss but i would report back when i get my wheels back.

forced_eg
05-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Ive never had an issue with alberta wheels quality.. but their customer service and turn-around times are absolute shit. A couple weeks ago we sent out a wheel on monday, usually its a 2 day turn around time so on wednesday I called and some new guy said it would be thursday. Fine

Thursday I called and they said they repaired the backside and had to re-finish Friday. Myself and my customer are irritated. Friday I called and they said they havent touched it and it will be monday. Now we were pissed!!

I had to buy a steel wheel so I could mount a tire onto it and have the customer on the road! If they were honest in the first place then the customer would have got a rental so he could go to work!!

Id say if anybody opened up a wheel repair place and were as capable as alberta wheel, then they would be RICH!!

anhsicun
05-26-2010, 06:27 PM
so i went to pick up my rims today which was a machine face finish with polish lip which i thought can be done easily since alot of ppl have machine finish. well very disappointed as the guy say machine finish was no problem and now my rims r a dull polish finish all around. so i had aargument with the guy i delt with ( paul ) saying it not the same finish as the orignal. he kept saying it was until he brought out the unfinished center cap which then it was clear as day and nite that the finish were different. even my piece of shit center cap look shiner.

now he saying it's my fault cause he told me this 3 weeks ago when i call him to see if the rims were done " its gonna take longer cause he can't get the rims on the machine and it would need to be done by hand" and by that he meant he couldn't do the machine finish. he thought i would understood him when he said that, well im no fuking mind reader all i thought of that was, its gonna take longer cause it gonna be all done by hand. he never said anything abt not being able to replicate the machine finish cause he's doing it by hand.

after a good 30 minute arguing back and fourth santo comes out and from his face he was very disappointed as he knew paul fuk up. after that they admit they fuk up and said he will reduce my total bill and only charge me for fixing the small dents i had on teh lip. so from 780 to 600, which i think it was still too much. i told him i'll pay him 400 which i think is fair since he wasted my time 6 weeks in total and i still need to fix the lip + face that they fuk up. after that santo wife started to yell at me calling me thief and a scam artist and i planned this from the beginning.

after all that another worker comes out and tell me to give him a chance to fix it and if he can't then i can have my rims back for 400. so now i have to wait for a few more days to see if they can fix it.

am i being unreasonable here? i feel like i shouldn't even be paying for this since it not what i was promise and i still have to reach into my wallet to get this problem fix.

calgary350z
05-26-2010, 10:14 PM
yep reminds once again how they treated me, they know they dont have much competition so on anything they do mess up or overpromise they turn on you like that.

I just used Andre and he was great but my rim was just a gold bbs from my sti not anything polished like my volk issue.

I wouldnt risk using Santos or his shop if the repair was free.

Cost me $200 for my unfixed wheel plus a brand new one after his crew was done with it

:thumbsdow

tristanqueyras
05-27-2010, 03:32 PM
I gave them a 19" for my eclipse to have a small bend repaired, was told to expect it a week later. Just got off the phone and one week has turned into 3.... NOT IMPRESSED.

inline6turbo
05-27-2010, 03:47 PM
Call Andre... seriously...

What's with these wait times?? Andrea has them done in a couple hours, including dismount and remounting them unto the car. You don't even need to lift a finger and every time they've come out perfect.

djfob
05-27-2010, 08:55 PM
Andre can't fix all rims, mostly just refinish. I was forced to use awr and I'm happy with the wait time and results.

Team_Mclaren
05-27-2010, 09:01 PM
I got my wheels' center bored out to fit my hub, had no problem with the work and it was done on time.

If you need to get wheels refinish, Andre is definiately better, if you need cracked wheels fixed, you'll have no choice but to go to awr. Just dont get Andre to finish them after.

BokCh0y
05-27-2010, 10:46 PM
I had them refinish 1 rim for me as it was curbed by some idiot (stick-boy). Anyways same story as everyone else with customer service and poor quaility of work. I ended up picking up tossing the "refinished" rim in the trunk to be used as a spare......will never go there again.

VeilOctane
05-31-2010, 09:35 AM
DIY Wheel Repair. the right way.

this is only good if your wheel is scratched.
if you have cracks and chunks missing call a professional.

kk-PKNTLL9M

Sebasshole
06-01-2010, 01:33 PM
I ota smack dat clown.... (santos that is)

AliXJ
06-01-2010, 07:14 PM
I had my wheels refinished last year at Alberta wheel and Santos talked me into changing the shade for he could not refinish them in the finish and shade. I agreed and left them for a week which turned into 3 and a half. When I got the wheels back they looked like shit, I could have done better job spray can and some mud, my 2 year old could have finger painted a better finish. I think I paid around $6-700. I could not live with them and ended up springing for new wheels. Stay away from that place.

evoXfan
07-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Fuck, reading this makes me worried about my rim.

Took it in on the 29th, said it will be done later that week since they are working July 1st (taking 5th off). Call on 2nd, nope not done, paint is still wet, should be done on 6th. Too busy to call on 6th, called them on 7th, not done, should be good on 8th. Call them on the 8th, it's done but need to put tires on, should be ready 9th morning. Called them at noon today (9th), tires are not on, should be on after lunch. We'll see...

They charged me for $180 for a minor cracked/warped rim (surprisingly wasn't leaking any air). Is that price normal for you guys too?

If I knew this Andre before hand I would've called him first. :facepalm: