PDA

View Full Version : Weed Barrier

bignerd
04-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Can someone reccomend a good weed barrier and where to buy it?

I am sick of re-doing ours, 2 years ago we bought the most expensive stuff they had at Home Depot, Contractor grade, 30 years guarantee etc.... etc.... NOTHING stops the weeds! Actually it is not so much the weeds but those tall strands of grass (the ones that when you pull of them you pull out three feet of roots?). I have some landscaping done with trees and plants, with cedar chips on top of the barrier and all these pieces of grass poking through it all over.

Our neighbor had a landscaper put some in years ago and his still looks great, it was almost a tarp-like material, black, woven, it frays where you cut it, very heavy.

Thanks

core_upt
04-23-2010, 08:37 AM
newspaper.

a thick padding of newspaper is supposed to be better than all the meshy weed barriers, as these will still all the weeds to grow between the links in the mesh.

apparently a 1-2" thick layer of newspaper should stop the weeds from coming through.

this is according to my parents who have had their garden featured in Garden's West among other garden magazines and have one a few awards for their yard.

bignerd
04-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Shit, too bad I dont get the paper...

GOnSHO
04-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by bignerd
Shit, too bad I dont get the paper...

ill start saving all mine for you! haha, or just go downtown and take a bunch outta the metro newspaper only bins ;)

but hes right.. works like a charm

GOnSHO
04-23-2010, 11:16 AM
pressing buttons too fast..

ExtraSlow
04-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Burnco sells it by the roll, and it's bitchin thick. However, you'll still probably get a few stray strands of grass poking through.
Plus, with any of those fabircs, you need to put a layer of bark mulch or something over it to protect it from UV. As far as i know, none of them will last with direct sun exposure.

Another thing to try is use some roundup on the crap that does poke through, Pretty easy, just spray it once or twice a year and you are all set.

surferbaby13
10-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by core_upt
newspaper.

a thick padding of newspaper is supposed to be better than all the meshy weed barriers, as these will still all the weeds to grow between the links in the mesh.

apparently a 1-2" thick layer of newspaper should stop the weeds from coming through.

this is according to my parents who have had their garden featured in Garden's West among other garden magazines and have one a few awards for their yard.

yeah cause newspaper looks nice.....theres a few things you can do. first build a pisa wall stopping the weeds from coming in....theres also brickedge but never do that plastic edging it looks terrible and cheap. if you are having problems with weeds...first you need new soil....thats the key....than mulch...if its on the lawn you need a good fertilizer...none of that organic shit as it doesnt work.....it has to have a weed feed in it.....otherwise I would suggest a new lawn.....and if so you should give me a call 975-0526 elise

core_upt
10-03-2010, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by surferbaby13

yeah cause newspaper looks nice....

thanks genius, you put fresh soil and mulch OVER the newspaper, and plant from there. But maybe we should trust you more since you've bumped every thread mentioning grass or sod in the last 3 years to promote your new lawn business (which I'm pretty sure is against beyond advertising rules....)

Perhaps it's best if you go back to having your nudes posted in Ask Leo....

edit: read some of your other posts and you sound like you do know what you're doing. Sorry for lashing out at an OG!

surferbaby13
10-04-2010, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by core_upt

thanks genius, you put fresh soil and mulch OVER the newspaper, and plant from there. But maybe we should trust you more since you've bumped every thread mentioning grass or sod in the last 3 years to promote your new lawn business (which I'm pretty sure is against beyond advertising rules....)

Perhaps it's best if you go back to having your nudes posted in Ask Leo....

edit: read some of your other posts and you sound like you do know what you're doing. Sorry for lashing out at an OG!
I was merely trying to help and yeah whats wrong with me trying to advertise....how is that a bad thing. And yes I do know what I am talking about as I have done this for over 10 years now....and I do landscape construction. Its the building of the landscape if you didnt know.
Whats your deal anyways....I just wanted to help...i wasnt causing trouble.....what a DICK!:guns:

speedog
10-04-2010, 07:54 AM
The advertising bit is probably a bit of a sticker with any of the beyonders in here who operate/own their own businesses but haven't become forum sponsors. I discussed with at least one moderator what could or could not be done within the forums with respect to promoting one's business if one wasn't a forum sponsor and respectfully have followed the rules because I believe that the forum sponsors are paying for a privilege that shouldn't be usurped by others in forum posts.

Thus, I have to agree with core_upt's comment about you breaking beyond's advertising rules - many beyonders have followed the rules to a tee while others have been politely reminded what the rules are after having made some questionable posts that promoted their business. Hopefully, the rules are applied equally to all in these forums regardless of whom you may or may not know or regardless of how long you've been a member of these forums - to do otherwise is a slap in the face to the forum sponsors who pay handsomely to be such and also an affront to any beyond member who has respectfully followed beyond's advertising rules.

speedog
10-04-2010, 08:06 AM
And for the record, I have not once posted up any type of contact information about our business (no name, no web site address, no e-mail contact, no telephone numbers, no street address) in any post that I have made on beyond and if I can recall correctly (I do have some white hair), I have not to date placed any information in any post regarding any specific named product that we stock in our shop. This is because the rules expressly state that this is not allowed unless you are a forum sponsor and also because of PM discussions I've had with at least one moderator to help me better understand what would be tolerated and what would not be tolerated with regards to promoting one's business within the beyond forums.

Now, forum members may be aware of the line of business we are in due to generic information have I have posted in threads that were relative to the line of business we are in, but any further information that would detail who we are or specific products that we may sell/offer has only been exchanged in private via PM's which is allowable per beyond's advertising rules.

surferbaby13
10-05-2010, 05:45 AM
u dont need to keep repeating yourself. First off had NO idea you guys were so beant up on these RULES.....
I came on here to help in the garden section. Cause you all clearly needed some advice from a professional. Had I had known it would turn into this shit again I would have never come back. And after this I wont come back. I dont need people barking down my throat for merely trying to get my name out there. You do what you need to do to get your name out. I dont really care if you've never once advertised your stuff....maybe you dont need to as you are much older than me...having that grey hair and such. But I just started out and just being aggressive to get my name out there.
I wasnt trying to disrespect beyond in anyway.....I just had no idea there were these rules. Like I said would have never came back on if I knew there were this many restrictions. Not worth my time and Im sorry for wasting yours.
Good luck in the Home and Garden as for once beyond had a page I actually enjoyed until guy le tard had to stomp out my fire.
Peace.

speedog
10-05-2010, 06:34 AM
Wow. No one asked you to leave. All that happened was someone made a challenge regarding your posts and beyond's rules and then I stuck my nose in things. Respectfully, I'll apologize, take a step back and let the moderators apply their rules as they see fit.

ExtraSlow
10-05-2010, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by surferbaby13
But I just started out and just being aggressive to get my name out there. aaand that's your problem right there.

Your several posts advertising your business bothered me. Nobody is asking you to leave, we're just asking you to abide by the rules and to use some common sense when "trying to get your name out."

Kritafo
10-05-2010, 08:13 AM
we bought the thickest you could get over the internet about 7 years ago...of course it all bio-degrades over time it seems. 3 year, we ripped it all out again we cut up a pool liner not a single weed. Not the most eco product but it was recycled. lol. We only have rocks and planters on the side of the house it's on, but it seems to have done the trick.

Masked Bandit
10-06-2010, 10:42 AM
The best solution I've seen to date is vapour barrier (poly) that you buy in a roll at Home Depot. However it can really only be used in areas where drainage isn't an issue because obviously water isn't going to go through it, it will run / pool along with the general grade.

Dave P
10-06-2010, 11:13 AM
How many people opened this up thinking something else?

Idratherbsidewayz
10-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Dave P
How many people opened this up thinking something else?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Lol, still in a total weed daze from last night. I thought somebody else felt my pain!