PDA

View Full Version : Havana tips?

DeathBy240
04-23-2010, 07:27 PM
I'm heading to Havana next week and I'm wondering if anyone was any "off the beaten path" type recommendations or restaurant/nightlife tips they want to share.

I've read a couple guide books so I've read about all the main sights and I've read the warnings, just wondered if anyone had some interesting personal experiences.

I've got flight and hotel booked, staying right in Old Havana.

Thanks in advance!

t_soarer
04-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Get ready to be a victim of people who will do all sorts of creative things around you and then ask for money....Old Havana is like beg town IMO. Overall though, make sure you go to the Revolution Plaza and the old port. Worth the time.

rinny
04-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Parents just returned from there. They were at a resort but went into Havana for a night to see the Tropicana cabaret show with dancing girls. Their review is that the show in Cuba is better than any cabaret show they've seen in Vegas. Certainly may be something to check out

toyboy88
04-27-2010, 10:19 AM
Not sure if you already left (ie the week of the 26th) or you mean the week of May 3rd, but as a heads up - as of May 1st all travellers are REQUIRED to have medical insurance for Cuba now.

http://www.westjetvacations.com/travel-advisories

Masked Bandit
04-27-2010, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by rinny
Parents just returned from there. They were at a resort but went into Havana for a night to see the Tropicana cabaret show with dancing girls. Their review is that the show in Cuba is better than any cabaret show they've seen in Vegas. Certainly may be something to check out

Really? I've seen Cirque & The Blue Man in Vegas and I would put both of those MILES ahead of the Tropicana show in Havana. We were just there at the end of March.

Havana in general was a bit of a let down. It's kind of like going to the Hoover Dam in Vegas. You have to go there once but if / when we go back to Cuba, we'll be skipping Havana.

skylinegtr20
05-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Traveled all of Cuba last year, spending a week in Havana area. Personally I recommend checking out Vinales where the Tobacco fields are, much nicer than Havana which gets old in 2-3 days.

Check out Tropicana if your into that sort of thing, its pricey though.

Old Havana, La Havana Veija, Ron Havana Club factory, Partagas Cigar Factory (behind Capital Building) Walk the Malacon, check out the old capital building, bunch of plaza's, Revolution museum, etc..

Words of advice... Whenever someone comes up to you just say no thanks.

Everyone is gunna say they have deals for Cuban cigars, tickets to get into the Tropicana or other cabaret shows, best mojito in town etc... Just so no thanks and be on your way. Literally anyone who talks to you wants something, best not to listen to any of them.

Always confirm pricing on what your buying BEFORE ordering.

And lastly don't go into any bars off the beaten path that arn't filled with tourists or don't have windows. This actually happened to me... we went in to grab a beer during are walk around the city, after ordering we got our beer sat down and within a minute 2 guys came in shutting the door behind them. Didn't think anything of it at the time but when we were about to leave the bartender and 2 guys became door men requesting $50 to leave.

We payed the money just to get out of the situation. Filing a complaint with the Cuban Tourism department later that day... which likely went no where :D I have done a ton of traveling and never been ripped off or had anything stolen. Usually I am very aware of my surroundings but got caught off guard.

DeathBy240
05-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Havana in general was a bit of a let down. It's kind of like going to the Hoover Dam in Vegas. You have to go there once but if / when we go back to Cuba, we'll be skipping Havana.

Just got back and couldn't disagree more. Havana was one of my favourite places I've traveled to so far. Just observing the culture and the way of life was very awesome.

There were a ton of people that hassled us but nothing a simple "gracias" wouldn't fix.

We were there for 7 full days and could have spent much much more there. The people who weren't trying to rip you off were very friendly and overall just had a great time. Not an abundance of must-see sights, so we were fairly leisurely and enjoyed the little things. The old cars, taking Coco taxis, catching lots of live music...

hatcore
05-19-2010, 01:52 PM
great people in Havana, however, they will try anything to get money/free stuff as they are so poor.

thedave
05-22-2010, 05:26 AM
Your time will be much better spent in Vinales area or Trinidad. I traveled Cuba for 6 weeks, and I liked Havana but when it comes down to it... its just another big city with a few sites to see, yes the people are nice but they are nicer in the other parts of Cuba.