PDA

View Full Version : Would you reccomend buying a 04 -08 Mazda 3

CT-C
04-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Hey Everyone,

I am planning on selling my 2001 Honda Accord EX with VTEC to purchase a 04 - 08 Mazda 3, preferably the 2.3 engine but the 2.0 will do too. I am not very familiar Mazda so that is why I am asking for some advice. What were the common problems of those years? and what should I take into consideration/look for when purchasing one.

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.

CT-C

03ozwhip
04-24-2010, 11:40 AM
ive owned one, its a great car just a little on the slow side but if youre buying a mazda 3, youre not looking for speed. the one i had was an 04, i sold to my brother, he sold that and bought an 08 and now hes selling that too. nothing wrong with it, hes just trying to free up cash let me know if youre interested!(shameless plug lol)

tehwegz
04-24-2010, 01:32 PM
look into 2002 mazda 5 protege hatchbacks.

they look pretty sweet and just painting the wheels black/tinting windows and lights etc. and you can make it look real sick. and you can easily get them for <$5000.

Hamann
04-24-2010, 06:51 PM
My girlfriend has a 07 Mazda 3, she absolutely loves it.

I actually don't mind the car at all, like one of the other guys said its not a fast car by any means, but its a peppy little thing :burnout:

The car is really fun to drive and gets great fuel mileage.

We generally take her car out whenever we go anywhere (alot better on gas then my truck) so I drive it alot, and the car has definetly changed my opinion of little FWD 4 Bangers, and thats saying alot cause I'm a RWD V8 kind of guy. :thumbsup:

ExtraSlow
04-24-2010, 07:19 PM
My wifes car is an 07 Mazda3. Decent car, decent gas mileage, and handles pretty well for such a cheap car.

My only major gripe is that the driving position isn't very comfortable for me. fine around town, but on longer trips, I find my Right leg is squished by the console. I'm about 6 foot tall, so if you are shorter than that, probably no biggie.

Also, since you are buying it used, make sure you don't get one with the stock Goodyear Eagle RSA tires. they lick balls. I replaced mine long before they wore out and it's been a world of difference.

JustinGTP
04-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by tehwegz
look into 2002 mazda 5 protege hatchbacks.

they look pretty sweet and just painting the wheels black/tinting windows and lights etc. and you can make it look real sick. and you can easily get them for &lt;$5000.

But sooooooo many of them have rust around the rear wheel wells and the back hatch around the logos (Mazda/Protege5)

Don't go with them, go with the the 3 if you must.

Tomaz
04-24-2010, 11:32 PM
i love my 09 MZ3. Handles great, has all the options i need, and has great fuel efficiency. get one, you wont regret it. but buy on that is 06+... has a bit more to offer/looks better IMO.:thumbsup:

Bowser
04-27-2010, 08:46 AM
I got a 06 sedan GT. Absolutely love it, lots of fun around the city. Make sure you get one with leather, since the entire interior is much nicer. Also, the mz3 got a face lift in 07, but the 06+ has all the kinks worked out. I’ve had zero problems with mine and it does take a bit of a beating.

Mar
04-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Don't be surprised if you regularly wake up to large dents in the driver's door.

ExtraSlow
04-27-2010, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Mar
Don't be surprised if you regularly wake up to large dents in the driver's door.
I think the crooks got tired of that. Since pretty much all the vulnerable cars have had the dealer installed fix, it's not a big issue.
I've had my 07 for three years now, and nobodys tried that.

Xtrema
04-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Is interior room a priority? 01 Accord has more back seat and trunk room than the 3.

3 is quite an agile car. Its engine and tranny isn't up to Honda quality but they will last.

Cos
04-27-2010, 10:52 AM
mom has one, really nice. Buddy has a GT one, also really nice.

I would pick up a 3Speed if I was in the market. Saw a couple on Autotrader for low 20's

heavyD
04-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by JustinGTP

But sooooooo many of them have rust around the rear wheel wells and the back hatch around the logos (Mazda/Protege5)

Don't go with them, go with the the 3 if you must.

Yep my wife bought a 2002 Protege 5 brand new and in three years the hatch was rusting around the logos like they all do. No rustproofing on those cars at all.

Sorath
04-27-2010, 12:17 PM
i like 04-05 mazda 3's i think they are a better buy than corollas and civics

GT-FOUR
04-27-2010, 02:08 PM
I had an '04 for 5 years, GT 2.3L. The wheel bearings are a common issue and mine had to be replaced after 4 years. The bearings themselves are made by Ford. Aside from that, it was a great car for the time I had it. I didn't find the seats very comfortable for longer trips, that's my only complaint really...but wasn't terribly aweful I suppose. Also, winter tires are a necessity with this car.

Tomaz
04-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by GT-FOUR
Also, winter tires are a necessity with this car.

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally forgot to mention that. I fucked my car up pretty good this winter, winter tires are a MUST! lol

HHURICANE1
04-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
My only major gripe is that the driving position isn't very comfortable for me. fine around town, but on longer trips, I find my Right leg is squished by the console. I'm about 6 foot tall, so if you are shorter than that, probably no biggie.

Also, since you are buying it used, make sure you don't get one with the stock Goodyear Eagle RSA tires. they lick balls. I replaced mine long before they wore out and it's been a world of difference.

I have an '08 and have the same complaints. Actually I find it more comfy on the highway than in town since I can pop on the cruise and move my leg around. Other than that it's a pretty good car and I'm glad I bought it.

IEatRice
04-28-2010, 02:21 AM
Got me the 2005 hatchback model. It's a hell of a lot of bang for the buck. Not super fast. It's a little slower than the new Civic SI. Makes up for it with outstanding handling and fancy features. Nothing about the car looks or feels budget. Haven't been an avid Mazda driver till I bought this car. No problems... yet.

I give the Mazda 3 a thumbs up! I'd suggest it!