PDA

View Full Version : Wiring a DVC Subwoofer

Weapon_R
12-09-2003, 12:46 AM
I have a 10W3 and it's the first subwoofer i've got that came DVC. I am wondering if someone can give me some instruction on how to wire it, pics preferred.

It's being powered with a 300w mono alpine amp.

D'z Nutz
12-09-2003, 01:05 AM
There's a couple of ways you can wire it, depending on what you want to get done. You can wire it in parallel by connecting all the positives together and all the negatives together, or you can wire it in series by connecting one of the negatives from a voice coil into the postive of the other. Does the manual not show diagrams of how to do this?

This should give you an idea: http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html

Except instead of two speakers, just think of them each as voice coils.

I can't remember how this effects the impedence (whether or goes up or down) for which wiring scheme though. It's been a long time. I think wiring it in series raises the impedence, and wiring it in parallel lowers it. Hopefully someone can verify this though.

sxtasy
12-09-2003, 01:08 AM
another one
http://www.audiobahninc.com/tech/wiring/parallel_series_dual_4_ohm.pdf

Weapon_R
12-09-2003, 01:10 AM
Thanks - answered my questions perfectly!

What's the advantages of wiring it this way vs. just the plain old regular way?

D'z Nutz
12-09-2003, 01:16 AM
I think the main advantage is that the different possible wiring combinations can give you better choices when trying to calculate out different impedences. This is something advantageous if you have more than one DVC sub, though.

Of course, if I'm wrong or way off, I'm sure someone will correct me.

Weapon_R
12-09-2003, 01:29 AM
D'z Nutz: For someone using a single 10, this would not be advantagous then? That is, providing your definition was correct?

D'z Nutz
12-09-2003, 01:36 AM
Well, it would be advantageous in that you can wire it up to have a 2 ohm or 8 ohm impedence just on a single sub, whereas with a SVC sub, your only choice is what the sub came as.

Of course, assuming that my (5 year old audio) memory is correct! Hahaha!