PDA

View Full Version : $272 for an oil change? WTF?

Jim Rome99
04-24-2010, 02:08 PM
I went in to the Honda dealer today to get a type "1-B" oil change and service. I did opt for the synthetic oil but surely this is way more than I should be paying? I paid only $50 the first time around, for a type 1-A oil change.

I realize that they put a new air filter in there, but that can only run around ten bucks. Does anyone know what's going on here? Am I a fool to be going to the dealer for oil changes?

Modelexis
04-24-2010, 02:11 PM
If you have questions about your Honda bill, why not talk to Honda?
If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.

Did you get a work order with a breakdown of the charges?

94boosted
04-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Air filter is more than 10$ and they also rotate your tires and do an inspection I think for a 1B Service.

Jim Rome99
04-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted
Air filter is more than 10$ and they also rotate your tires and do an inspection I think for a 1B Service.

I didn't need the tires to be rotated as I just got my summer tires put on at Fountain Tire yesterday.

Maxt
04-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Take a Dodge Sprinter in for an oil change and routine service, you will then appreciate the measly 272.00 you got charged for your honda....
But I agree, sometimes its hard to see the value in dealer service when the price does not seem to match the job and materials supplied.
The sprinter service was close to 600.00, and it was there for maybe 1.5 hours.

Impreza
04-24-2010, 02:18 PM
I think it is just standard procedure to do the rotation on that particular service. They probably didn't notice/care that your tires were recently put on. When I had my S2000, I took it in for a service and they rotated the tires on it, lol, they aren't always the brightest....

Vr4Whore
04-24-2010, 02:34 PM
learn to do oil changes yourself. You would have spent $40 max (including oil filter) and 30 mins of your time

ShermanEF9
04-24-2010, 02:44 PM
its because you took it to honda. yes an air filter might be 10 bucks, but the tech that did it charged 50 to do it.

Klew
04-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Hey, I work at a honda dealership. A B-1 service is usually $199.41 after taxes (if you're on the oil change program). Maybe synthetic oil is just that expensive?

Yeah, that price does include the rotation of the tires, but since they take off the tires anyways to service your brakes the cost of the package is the same even if you dont want/need them rotated.

tomt64
04-24-2010, 02:50 PM
Next time you go, ask the advisor what a 1-B service is. Then when he mentions everything you can tell him/her exactly what you dont need.
Most flat rate techs look at tires quickly; unusual wear and low tread. They wont stand and debate whether they should do a rotation.... its more money for them and the car is already in the air.

Jim Rome99
04-24-2010, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, next time I'll just take it to my guy instead of to Honda.

kaput
04-24-2010, 02:56 PM

tehwegz
04-24-2010, 03:01 PM
this tells you how to do it step-by-step
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-change-your-oil-1/

good website, its auto section tells you how to do basic things with your car. :)

Boat
04-24-2010, 03:02 PM
Just to add to this

They give you a pamphlet which states whats included in a B1 Maintenance

Edit: Didn't catch above post by kaput, everything he listed will come out to:

Total: 183.88 (I think the extra you paid is the synthetic)

Honda has got to make money somehow,since their vehicles don't break down :rofl:

Apparently every second "A" oil change is free, but you are paying out the ass for the B1 every time.

Rat Fink
04-24-2010, 03:03 PM

SpeedIllusion
04-24-2010, 03:08 PM
My B1 at Honda is $249.99 before tax
Did they give you a receipt? It has the breakdown of what they did for a B1 service.

dj_rice
04-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by SpeedIllusion
My B1 at Honda is $249.99 before tax
Did they give you a receipt? It has the breakdown of what they did for a B1 service.

:werd: Do people not look at their bill before paying?

cycosis
04-24-2010, 03:14 PM
Dont feel too bad, my first service with my Benz was $350. My next service is supposed to be in the range of $480 :nut:

btimbit
04-24-2010, 03:16 PM
Next time, I'll do it for half that

kaput
04-24-2010, 03:35 PM

01RedDX
04-24-2010, 03:37 PM

Xtrema
04-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Sounds about right if you want to follow their maintenance schedule.

Wait til you get a service bill from Lexus/Audi/MB/BMW......

Dilmah
04-24-2010, 04:07 PM
You should be asking the questions before the work is done not after. I always phone a day or two before I take my car in and ask the questions.

Boat
04-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by kaput
My Honda maintenance brochure lists the B1 as $210.88 :dunno:

What do you drive? Accord?

Maybe mines just for Civic

kaput
04-24-2010, 04:56 PM

mikey008
04-24-2010, 05:10 PM
So yes...the B1 service is part of your maintience...which runs $210.88+gst+ss.

Pretty much includes the oil and filter change (REGULAR OIL),
Service front/rear brakes, tire rotation (if needed)
Inspect parking brake adjustments, tie rod ends, steering gear box and boots, suspension components, drive shaft boots, brake hoses and lines incl. ABS), check all fluid levels and condition of fluids, inspect exhaust system, fuel lines, and connections

Those inspections are just a check up to see if the car needs anything. And any recommendations, they will let you know first.

Since YOU requested for Synthetic Oil....then of course you will have to pay extra!!

So your next service, you're back to a "A" service....which is $42.88+gst UNLESS YOU REQUEST FOR SYNTHETIC, THEN IT'LL BE A BIT MORE OF COURSE!

Boat
04-24-2010, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Mines a civic, who's your dealer?

Crowfoot Village

What year is your Civic? Level of trim?

Drsuce
04-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Mobil 1 (5-20)= $12/litre
Honda semi-syn bulk (5-20) $1.38/litre

B1 service as per honda $210.88
If your on an oil change program -$22.00

unless your boosted, synthetic oil in a honda is not needed, plenty of 500,000km+ original engine hondas out there to prove that :)

that being said, honda's that require 0-20 usualy do get synthetic as dealers order in bottled oil from honda and dont use bulk (only civic hybrids, insights and the crosstour take 0-20 to my knowlege)

i will also add that if you intend on doing just oil changes, be aware that your vehicle will most likly never be looked at by an actual certified tech. it will be seen by some 18 y/o kid making 11 bucks an hour.

Aleks
04-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

BMW one will be free for first 4 yrs.

200 bux for all that works is about right at dealers rates.

theken
04-24-2010, 07:32 PM
why are you using synthetic?

962 kid
04-24-2010, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Drsuce
Mobil 1 (5-20)= $12/litre
Honda semi-syn bulk (5-20) $1.38/litre

unless your boosted, synthetic oil in a honda is not needed, plenty of 500,000km+ original engine hondas out there to prove that :)

Ridiculous. I've spent more than my fair share of time repairing damage done by the shit non-synth that BMW and VW pour into their cars, I doubt the stuff Honda uses is any different. If you care at all about the life of your car after 100 000km, then use the good stuff.

Originally posted by theken
why are you using synthetic?

because he cares about his car :dunno: :nut:

TYMSMNY
04-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Lexus, MB, BMW = free service for the first 4 years. Oil change is less than $100 anyways.

chkolny541
04-25-2010, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Modelexis
If you have questions about your Honda bill, why not talk to Honda?
If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.

i fucking lol'd haaha

nj2Type-S
04-25-2010, 02:47 AM
i just got my b12 service done for my rdx at option import. it cost around $280 and took them about 1hr 15mins. compared to acura's quote of around $400 and 3hrs, i think i'll be sticking with option import! :thumbsup:

i don't think i've brought my vehicle for service at the dealership for over 3 yrs now, lol.

Speed_69
04-25-2010, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
i just got my b12 service done for my rdx at option import. it cost around $280 and took them about 1hr 15mins. compared to acura's quote of around $400 and 3hrs, i think i'll be sticking with option import! :thumbsup:

i don't think i've brought my vehicle for service at the dealership for over 3 yrs now, lol.
I have my maintenance light on right now on my Accord and it's due for the B-12 service. I was guessing mine was going to cost around $300 - $350 which is brutal because they charge $115.88 to replace the air cleaner element, replace the dust and pollen filter and inspect and adjust drive belt. Can't i replace the element and filter myself?

I was told before that if I don't bring my car to Honda for service, it voids my warranty. Is this not true?
I'd much rather bring my car to option import for servicing.

Supa Dexta
04-25-2010, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by 962 kid

Ridiculous. I've spent more than my fair share of time repairing damage done by the shit non-synth that BMW and VW pour into their cars, I doubt the stuff Honda uses is any different. If you care at all about the life of your car after 100 000km, then use the good stuff.

Ridiculous?, yup you started and ended with that in mind.

bignerd
04-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by 962 kid

Its a Honda Civic, they all last well over 100,000 kms no matter what kind of oil you use....

If you do your own oil change (very very easy) you must keep your receipts showing you bought oil and new filters, write down your mileage at time of change to keep your warranty.

HondaKid
04-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Speed_69

I have my maintenance light on right now on my Accord and it's due for the B-12 service. I was guessing mine was going to cost around $300 - $350 which is brutal because they charge $115.88 to replace the air cleaner element, replace the dust and pollen filter and inspect and adjust drive belt. Can't i replace the element and filter myself?

I was told before that if I don't bring my car to Honda for service, it voids my warranty. Is this not true?
I'd much rather bring my car to option import for servicing.

I thought like you, save a few bucks replacing the filters myself , it takes maybe four minutes. Mentioned this to the service dept. person and he tells me they do not charge labour for the filter replacements. He said, if you buy a filter they install it for free. So there ya go.

This was at Honda West.

I do know filters are cheaper when ordered from the USA, get them in packs of three. Might save enough to make it worthwhile, some Honda interior filters can run into the $60 area from what I recall.

I doubt service is much cheaper at a non Honda shop (labour rates very close), and at Honda I can get a loaner car for the day for $20. Drove a brand new Insight last time.

962 kid
04-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by bignerd

Its a Honda Civic, they all last well over 100,000 kms no matter what kind of oil you use....

All the problems I've seen don't affect the piston/wall lubrication, just everything else. Vacuum lines disintegrating, horrendous gunk buildup, rubber hoses and fittings turning to mush are the most common things, but I've seen pieces of built up deposit from that garbage oil flake off and make it's way into the oil pickup screen. This is all from the shit bulk "Castrol" that BMW VW and Audi use. If Honda uses decent non-synth, then what I'm saying doesn't apply :) Either way good on him for using the good stuff.

Originally posted by Supa Dexta

Ridiculous?, yup you started and ended with that in mind.

Great contribution dumbass. Come back when you have something more substantial to add.