PDA

View Full Version : Towing a car with a V6 truck??

schurchill39
04-25-2010, 01:19 PM
Problem: I recently bought a 2005 Pontiac Pursuit and switched all of my insurance and what not over to Saskatchewan because its literally 5x cheaper then Alberta. As such I am left with my truck, 1999 GMC Sierra SL (regular cab 4.3L V6 2WD), that's still an Alberta vehicle. I need to take my truck back to Medicine Hat so it can go up for sale and then get back to Saskatoon (or head right to Calgary after to start work) with my car.

My potential solution: I was thinking of renting a dolly from UHAUL and towing my car behind my truck. That way the truck is back in Alberta and I have my car with me to go where ever I need to after.

The problem within my solution: Can my truck tow my car? I know the towing capacity is enough according to the interwebs but my hitch is just a bumper mount so I'm not sure. However, when I moved here my truck did haul a UHAUL trailer with my dirtbike, tool box and all my shit from home while it had my 500lbs motorbike in the back no problem...

What are your guy's thoughts? Think the ol' bitch can do it?

Tik-Tok
04-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Why can't you sell the Alberta reg. truck, in Sask?

schurchill39
04-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Its got a few minor things wrong with it like sagging doors so it wont pass the out of province inspection without a little bit of work. Im a student in the middle of finals and I am moving to calgary for the summer for work so I have zero time to do that. Its just easier to take it home and have my family sell it for me in medicine hat.

Redlyne_mr2
04-25-2010, 03:16 PM
I would say you'd be fine if your hitch was mounted to your frame. Those bumper mounted hitches aren't meant for that kind of weight. I've towed a car on a trailer with a V6 truck but it had the proper hitch. Sorry for the bad news. I cant imagine a proper hit is 2 expensive.

Vanner
04-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Yup, the bumper mounted hitch isn't designed to tow 4,000 ibs - let alone 2,000 or anything beyond 500 lbs. Do the right thing in mounting a hitch setup to your truck's frame. I've towed cars in the past and that's how I would prefer this way.

Good Luck with your sale on your truck!