PDA

View Full Version : diy question

93akordse
12-09-2003, 09:03 AM
i have a very broke friend that took out the bottom part of the airbox and taped the filter to the top of the factory air box

i don't know if it will hurt the car but it does give it a better tone and a little more pep
it seams to work if anyone wants to try it, i would've done it if i hadn't already ordered my cai

and for the ride that wishes they had a supercharger but no money? just put those party blowers in your intake, then some baseball cards on your rims..... be sure to include alot of stickers with your paint scheme, they look fast, every ricer around here does it!

ghetto-enginering for the 21st century

roopi
12-09-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by 93akordse
just put those party blowers in your intake, then some baseball cards on your rims.....

i put sparkles in my exhaust so when i start my car they go blowing out. chicks love it.

EK 2.0
12-09-2003, 10:40 AM
I don't get where the question part is...

BUT...I love to loosen my accesory belts and allow them to slip, to make it sound like I have enough TQ to spin my tires...:dunno:

93akordse
12-09-2003, 11:49 AM
my friend wanted to know if it would mess his intake up with the filter taped on, i told him to just break down and buy an intake but he doesn't listen

sparklers huh? the rice fans will be all over that one
what a chick magnet

djfob
12-09-2003, 12:47 PM
it should be ok but he'll probably need to replace it alot more often cuz it will get dirtier quicker. It also probably does next to nothing for performance so i would just say save for an intake which you can get for like 50-60 bux now. My 0.02

5.9 R/T
12-09-2003, 03:27 PM
Tell him to strip everything out of his car like seats and carpet and spare and panels etc. That should make him a little quicker and he'll get a lot more noise in the cabin too. :thumbsup:

roopi
12-09-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
Tell him to strip everything out of his car like seats and carpet and spare and panels etc. That should make him a little quicker and he'll get a lot more noise in the cabin too. :thumbsup:

:rofl: it's all about the cabin noise. makes it sound like you're going fast. :rofl:

SinisterProbeGt
12-09-2003, 03:51 PM
remove one of the vacume lines and put a dog toy whisle in there sounds like a turbo spooling up

frostyda9
12-10-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by 93akordse
i have a very broke friend that took out the bottom part of the airbox and taped the filter to the top of the factory air box

:rofl: Was it duct tape at least?? That ghetto intake should do a good job of sucking nice warm air out of the engine bay instead of the cool air the bottom half of the airbox was ducted to :thumbsup:

whatthe
12-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Not to encourage this kind of thing, but self tapping screws at each corner can work well. At least it would prevent chance of dust getting past the filter (I'm assuming duct tape is only so tight). As long it's sealed and there is no risk of screw falling into intake.

EK 2.0
12-10-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by whatthe
Not to encourage this kind of thing, but self tapping screws at each corner can work well. At least it would prevent chance of dust getting past the filter (I'm assuming duct tape is only so tight). As long it's sealed and there is no risk of screw falling into intake.

TSK TSK TSK Kyle...

whatthe
12-11-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD

TSK TSK TSK Kyle...

lol... I know, but I thought it might be better than reccomending driving around with-out an air filter. :D

And before your buds go bragging about driving without an air filter, let me say that it will depend a bit on the set up. I've seen it proven on the dyno soo many times where the extra turbelence in the pipe by itself loses power or the change in air flow pattern around the MAF creates a dramatic change in air flow readings and thus throws your a/fs out of whack and causes you to lose power.

93akordse
12-11-2003, 08:52 AM
actually i don't now what kind of tape they used

i do know that his civic sounds better, even tho it's still really slow. Almost as slow as my accord with all my system and various other crap weighing down the trunk