PDA

View Full Version : Gov’t's Report On Speeding Flawed, More Important Priorities To Make Roads Safe

Markham
04-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Hi guys

Not sure if you've seen the stories in other media about Alberta gov't response on speeding and need to crack down, but here's my response:

http://www.calgarybeacon.com/2010/04/govts-report-on-speeding-flawed-more-important-priorities-to-make-roads-safe/

Markham

stealth1313
04-27-2010, 04:08 PM
The thing with the airplanes calculating speed using distance over time seems like such a waste of our tax money having a airplaning flying around getting .1 mpg

2EFNFAST
04-27-2010, 04:30 PM
If we executed speeders on the spot then speeding wouldn't be a problem ... just saying.....

(not saying it's a great idea, but it is an idea :rofl: )

Tomaz
04-27-2010, 04:40 PM
I commented with a small rant on there for you.

Pretty good write-up! :thumbsup:

m10-power
04-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Agreed 100% with your editorial, typical gov'n statistics twisting to justify handing out more road tax.

Nothing new, speed is always a factor from their point of view. No matter how fast your going if you collide with someone then your going to fast for that condition ;)

Drunks should be executed on the spot IMO, your a full on piece of shit if you drive drunk.

Phenix
04-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Great article. thanks for sharing

TorqueDog
04-27-2010, 06:30 PM
Agreed 110%.

T-rus
04-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Good article and I agree 100% as well.

sr20s14zenki
04-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Good article man, i just posted pretty much the same thing in the other thread about the planes. I didnt realize however that speeders would account for less than 13% of accidents, kinda funny how the gov't doesnt see it that way huh, gotta make that revenue.....

Skyline_Addict
04-27-2010, 08:13 PM
:werd:

kras
04-27-2010, 09:40 PM
good article!

In the 3 years I've been driving in Calgary I've never seen a check stop.

A790
04-27-2010, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by kras
good article!

In the 3 years I've been driving in Calgary I've never seen a check stop.
I've been through at least 10.

Masked Bandit
04-28-2010, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by A790

I've been through at least 10.

Really? Are you out on the road past 10:00 pm a lot? I'm rarely out at that hour so I've only been through 2 in the past 15 years and both were after midnight.

:dunno:

Zewind
04-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Ive been thru 2 or 3 in the past 8 years.

But Ive seen more than that set up on the opposite side of the road.

:thumbsup: for the article

Kennyredline
04-28-2010, 09:32 AM
I disagree with your separation of speeding vs. road conditions. If you're going around a corner on a road where the limit is 100km/hr, with perfect driving conditions and lose control of your vehicle doing 130 km/hr, you are still driving too fast for the road conditions; even though it may be dry, sunny, and perfect visibility. Speeding is speeding, because there is an appropriate speed limit for every type of condition.

TorqueDog
04-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Kennyredline
I disagree with your separation of speeding vs. road conditions. If you're going around a corner on a road where the limit is 100km/hr, with perfect driving conditions and lose control of your vehicle doing 130 km/hr, you are still driving too fast for the road conditions; even though it may be dry, sunny, and perfect visibility. Speeding is speeding, because there is an appropriate speed limit for every type of condition. And if you didn't lose control of your vehicle?

Your post reeks of fail. There is a very significant separation between speeding and going too fast for road conditions. They are not mutually inclusive. You can easily have one without the other, on both sides of the spectrum.

If you go around that corner on a road with a 100 KM/H speed limit at 80 KM/H and lose control of your vehicle, it is very possible you were driving too fast for conditions despite not speeding. Likewise, you can be speeding according to the law, while not actually going too fast for the roadway conditions. This is often the case in Calgary where many roads have their speed limits artificially lowered due to money-hungry bureaucrats. Case in point, the rich man's playground zone on Elbow Drive SW.

gretz
04-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
. Case in point, the rich man's playground zone on Elbow Drive SW.

Or 22x towards bragg creek lol...

luxor
04-28-2010, 12:44 PM
I disagree with your separation of speeding vs. road conditions. If you're going around a corner on a road where the limit is 100km/hr, with perfect driving conditions and lose control of your vehicle doing 130 km/hr, you are still driving too fast for the road conditions; even though it may be dry, sunny, and perfect visibility. Speeding is speeding, because there is an appropriate speed limit for every type of condition.

Speed is not the only factor in losing control of a vehicle. It's the factor that can most easily be associated with losing control by Police (more tickets).

In my opinion driver skills, tires, and mechanics of a vehicle play a more vital role in controlling a vehicle through a turn than speed. I can easily lose control UNDER the limit with some bald tires coupled with shot suspension, and shitty skills; then when the Police show up, guess what the first thing they will assume? That's right I will more than likely get a ticket for driving too fast, reckless, or speeding, or all of those things.

The article makes perfect sense, you're just not realistic enough to realize it.

Kennyredline
04-28-2010, 12:45 PM
And if you didn't lose control of your vehicle?

Your post reeks of fail. There is a very significant separation between speeding and going too fast for road conditions. They are not mutually inclusive. You can easily have one without the other, on both sides of the spectrum.

If you go around that corner on a road with a 100 KM/H speed limit at 80 KM/H and lose control of your vehicle, it is very possible you were driving too fast for conditions despite not speeding. Likewise, you can be speeding according to the law, while not actually going too fast for the roadway conditions. This is often the case in Calgary where many roads have their speed limits artificially lowered due to money-hungry bureaucrats. Case in point, the rich man's playground zone on Elbow Drive SW.
No fail. Both deal with going too fast; one deals with exceeding the posted speed limit under good driving conditions, the other deals with going too fast under conditions that don't allow it.
If someone is doing 100km/hr on a 100km/hr road that is wet, are they speeding? Yes, because they can be fined if they lose control of their vehicle; it's just not called speeding, but the same rules apply.
The fact that you don't agree with speed limits is irrelevant.

maxomilll
04-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
If we executed speeders on the spot then speeding wouldn't be a problem ... just saying.....

(not saying it's a great idea, but it is an idea :rofl: )

...I donno man, we might have a lot more high speed chase's if that was the case.
fuuuuuck stopping.:dunno: :burnout:

MGCM
04-28-2010, 12:58 PM
And if you didn't lose control of your vehicle?

DEERFOOT TRAIL!!!!!! The past week while they've fucked around with the barriers the speed is lowered to 80km/h but there is ZERO construction workers..........deerfoot is already bad enough at 100km/h during the day, now they've lowered it to 80km/h.........so lets ask the city how many accidents have happened since they dropped deerfoot to 80km/h while they fuck around with those stupid barriers, i've got money on double the accidents. You first get the ppl who are all scared to go faster than the posted limit no matter if the driving conditions support more speed. Then they stay in the left lane and refuse to attempt a lane change. So now you've got ppl tail gating this guy and more ppl tail gating that guy and so on and so on till u've got 5-10 in a row all tail gating at 80km/h yea that's real fukin safe. Then someone gets mad and changes lanes to the middle lane to pass this guy, then the rest of the ppl behind him do the same and in that process u've got 10 ppl trying to change lanes all at once to pass a guy not willing to move outta the left lane. I could go on for days and days about how retarded the majority of drivers are but I'm gunna stop myself now.

MGCM
04-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by MGCM

DEERFOOT TRAIL!!!!!! The past week while they've fucked around with the barriers the speed is lowered to 80km/h but there is ZERO construction workers..........deerfoot is already bad enough at 100km/h during the day, now they've lowered it to 80km/h.........so lets ask the city how many accidents have happened since they dropped deerfoot to 80km/h while they fuck around with those stupid barriers, i've got money on double the accidents. You first get the ppl who are all scared to go faster than the posted limit no matter if the driving conditions support more speed. Then they stay in the left lane and refuse to attempt a lane change. So now you've got ppl tail gating this guy and more ppl tail gating that guy and so on and so on till u've got 5-10 in a row all tail gating at 80km/h yea that's real fukin safe. Then someone gets mad and changes lanes to the middle lane to pass this guy, then the rest of the ppl behind him do the same and in that process u've got 10 ppl trying to change lanes all at once to pass a guy not willing to move outta the left lane. I could go on for days and days about how retarded the majority of drivers are but I'm gunna stop myself now.

I think it's time for a petition to the government demanding better driver training and more checkstops................

wintonyk
04-28-2010, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by maxomilll

...I donno man, we might have a lot more high speed chase's if that was the case.

:rofl:

Either way I see our inevitable demise.

heavyD
04-28-2010, 02:33 PM

If someone is doing 100km/hr on a 100km/hr road that is wet, are they speeding? Yes, because they can be fined if they lose control of their vehicle; it's just not called speeding, but the same rules apply.

Lets call a spade a spade. If you are doing 100km/hr in a 100 km/hr zone you can't recieve an unmanned ticket via speed camera which is the new form of traffic police. It matters not if you were still driving too fast for the conditions as long as you don't get into an accident as the camera is only going to snap a shot when you are over the limit. If you get into an accident they will give you the ticket but really the city is more interested in easy revenue generation as it doesn't make as much money to have officers on the streets pulling over people for texting, talking on cell phones, following too closely, lane changine without signalling, etc. You know, the people that cause 80% of the fender benders in this city.

Lets face it even if Calgary miraculously got to the point where there was never an accident. Do you think the city would put away the speed cameras? I don't think so as they still make a lot of money off very good drivers that just happen to travel over the speed limits at times.

bjstare
04-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by maxomilll

Haha, thats exactly what came to my mind. The main reason I don't run from the cops while I'm on my bike now is because I try to minimize my chance of dying on a motorcycle.... but if I was gonna die anyways....:burnout:

TorqueDog
04-28-2010, 08:32 PM
No fail. Both deal with going too fast; one deals with exceeding the posted speed limit under good driving conditions, the other deals with going too fast under conditions that don't allow it.
The fact that you don't agree with speed limits is irrelevant. Whether or not I think our speed limits are retarded has nothing to do with the point I'm making. Driving to the conditions and 'not speeding' are not the same thing.

If the prevailing road and weather conditions allow for doing 10-20 KM/H over the speed limit, you are speeding, yes, but you are driving to the conditions of the roadway. 'Speeding' doesn't magically make the speed you are doing unsafe. Is 61 KM/H in a 60 KM/H zone unsafe? Are you going to kill a bus-load of orphans if the needle slips a cunt-hair past the magic speed limit?

duaner
04-28-2010, 08:40 PM
Good article Markham, I couldn't agree more.

I find people who don't know what they're doing and those who drive without due care and attention to be more of a hazard on the road than speeders, although some speeders also fit those categories as well. Take the young chick that was riding my bumper at 100 km/h on the way home today, for example, or the school bus that was changing lanes and making turns without signaling on my to work this morning. Just plain stupid.

There is a serious problem on Calgary streets with people that just don't know how to drive. I've been thinking for a long time that there should be mandatory periodic driving tests that get more frequent with age. But with the government and insurance industries lacking in common sense, it'll never happen.

Kennyredline
04-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Whether or not I think our speed limits are retarded has nothing to do with the point I'm making. Driving to the conditions and 'not speeding' are not the same thing.

If the prevailing road and weather conditions allow for doing 10-20 KM/H over the speed limit, you are speeding, yes, but you are driving to the conditions of the roadway. 'Speeding' doesn't magically make the speed you are doing unsafe. Is 61 KM/H in a 60 KM/H zone unsafe? Are you going to kill a bus-load of orphans if the needle slips a cunt-hair past the magic speed limit?
But what if you're doing 20km/hr over and an animal runs out in front of your car...road conditions might be great, yeah, but that extra 20 over is gonna make it a LOT harder to control what happens with regards to not hitting the animal AND retaining control of your vehicle. Is 120km/hr safe under those conditions? No.

TorqueDog
04-29-2010, 01:53 PM
But what if you're doing 20km/hr over and an animal runs out in front of your car...road conditions might be great, yeah, but that extra 20 over is gonna make it a LOT harder to control what happens with regards to not hitting the animal AND retaining control of your vehicle. Is 120km/hr safe under those conditions? No. WTF? :facepalm: What if I'm doing 20 KM/H UNDER and the animal runs out in front of me, but closer than when I was doing 20 KM/H over? What if the overpass in front of me collapses while a child is chasing a soccer ball onto Deerfoot in a snowstorm? Your 'conditions' are NOT a variable in this discussion because that's NOT what we're discussing.

Something could just as easily run out in front of me at 100 KM/H - does that mean I should do 80 KM/H instead?

Speeding = exceeding posted speed
Driving to conditions = driving according to the surrounding road and weather conditions

There is a difference between those two things.