PDA

View Full Version : Thumbs up for Deco Windshield chip repair

TomcoPDR
04-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Went to Deco Windshield chip repair (they just have those bright orange tents setup in parking lots)

Went to the Ikea, Bestbuy (Deerfoot Meadows) guy.

At first I pointed 3 chips... then he included a chip that's 5mm beside another chip, making it 4... Initially I was kinda pissed (in my mind), thinking he's trying to nickel and dime me... but then seeing I'm a person of reason, I do realize that is realistically another chip (just because they are really close within each other), and I'd do the same thing in my line of work too.

So I agreed to the price (these windshield chip repair places uses a chart system, you know 1st chip so much, then 2nd add another, then 3rd+... so I don't remember)

As he started to repair that "double chip", the chemicals from the top started to fill the one next to it.

So, at the end, he was really honest and upfront and only charged me for 3 chips, while filling in 4 spots. He could had not said anything and just charged me the initial, you know.

But all in all, pretty good and inexpensive investment to protect a replacement of an entire windshield.

Tarrantula
04-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Weird request... but do you mind posting pictures of the repairs?

My mom had some chips filled and they left a bunch of the glue on the glass, just wondering if that was normal.. or what it should look like when fixed.

Thanks if you do post pics!

TomcoPDR
04-27-2010, 04:42 PM
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/100_4147.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/100_4148.jpg

lol can't really see much, they suppose to razor blade off the resin after. These guys use pretty good resin too and a brand new repair kit.

inline6turbo
04-27-2010, 06:02 PM
I had my rock chips filled by them in my MR2. While they were filling it they drilled to far and my windshield cracked right across from side to side while I sat there and watched. Then I pointed to it, and they said that it was there already, just not as "visible" and after the process is just became more noticeable. They offered no compensation and still had to pay for the fill.. I will not be returning to them.

Glad you got good service though.

TomcoPDR
04-27-2010, 06:17 PM
Naw, it's like all things in automotive. It honestly really depends on the tech, as well as the situation (damage) at hand. All my chips are reasonably small, even I could had fixed it if I bought these $1,500 systems... But not worth 3-5 uses out of the year, lol.

Graham_A_M
05-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Deco is wicked. Im friends with the owner of that franchise (Carl) and hes a great guy thats just bursting at the seems with energy. It sure trickles down into the employees obviously.
:thumbsup:

Dr_Funk
05-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by inline6turbo
I had my rock chips filled by them in my MR2. While they were filling it they drilled to far and my windshield cracked right across from side to side while I sat there and watched. Then I pointed to it, and they said that it was there already, just not as "visible" and after the process is just became more noticeable. They offered no compensation and still had to pay for the fill.. I will not be returning to them.

Glad you got good service though.

Same thing happened with my dad's SUV. They made a crack that was never there before. But they were actually very reasonable and agreed to pay for most of a new windshield. We ended up getting a new windshield for $100....

HondaKid
05-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Had two chips repaired at Cal-Alta Auto Glass in the SW just off McLeod for $20.95. You get a card as well, I think the fifth or sixth repair is for free.

I was thrilled to be told a new windshield was less than $225 for my car, very fair price for the future. Hard to find a normal windshield for more than $300 in the place.

duaner
07-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Anyone know if Deco is still setup in Deerfoot Meadows? Just noticed a new chip on Friday and forgot to get out on the weekend and look for one of these guys.