PDA

View Full Version : Drunk drivers hits 245km/h!

roopi
12-09-2003, 01:55 PM
Lead-foot drunk driver jailed
Very intoxicated and driving at 245 km-h

A Saskatchewan man is going to jail after being caught drunk and travelling at speeds topping 240 km-h on a highway near Regina.

On Monday, Provincial Court Judge Ken Bellerose gave Michael Lee Benz, 22, a 14-day jail sentence after he pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and exceeding a blood-alcohol level of .08.

Benz, who works on a farm near Aylesbury, was charged Sept. 7 after his vehicle reached some of the highest speeds heard of in Regina court in recent memory -- peaking at 245 km-h (about 153 mph).

"That's one heck of a high speed," Bellerose said.

It was also well over twice the legal highway limit. On June 1, the speed limit on all twinned highways in Saskatchewan increased from 100 to 110 km-h.

According to Crown prosecutor Kim Jones, at around 11:30 p.m., Benz was spotted heading east on Highway 11 near Lumsden.

A high-speed pursuit ensued, with RCMP clocking Benz travelling between 210 and 215 km-h before backing off from the chase.

"They were still being left clearly behind," said Jones, who didn't say what kind of vehicle Benz was driving.

Two kilometres east of Lumsden, the vehicle ended up briefly in the ditch, before getting back on the highway. Later, Benz's vehicle ended up in a farmer's field and police arrested him. His blood alcohol levels were over the legal limit.

Jones recommended a jail sentence close to the maximum -- six months.

He said anybody going 240 km-h would need about 429 metres to brake to a stop.

"If somebody had ventured out onto the highway, there'd be virtually no time to stop," Jones said.

Bellerose opted for a jail sentence of two weeks, but also banned Benz from driving for 18 months.

"It's a message to you and everybody else," Bellerose said.

"If they're going to be engaging the police in these horrendous chases, there are going to be consequences."

Benz's lawyer Jeff Deagle said his client knows he did something wrong and is taking responsibility for his actions.

"He simply panicked," Deagle said.

Bellerose said it's a lucky thing nobody was killed.

"People like you who think they can outrun the police are a real danger," Bellerose said. "Quite often, it's innocent people who are victims of people like you."

Source: http://www.canada.com/regina/story.asp?id=9D582673-EDB9-4E32-BE1A-DEDA343F3E5A

ryder_23
12-09-2003, 02:02 PM
:eek:

curious to what kind of car hit that speed. I thought everyone in sask drove trucks...musta been a hemi.

Hakkola
12-09-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by roopi

Fucking bench racers, "of course breaks don't matter, every car stops in the same distance!!!" :rolleyes:

240 and drunk that's crazy, good thing he got some jail time, IMO his license should have been suspended longer.

hjr
12-09-2003, 02:23 PM
suprising he could control it. Cars are very very sensitive at those speeds (not that i would know wink wink).

DeSi
12-09-2003, 02:32 PM
tsk tsk tsk

littledan
12-09-2003, 02:43 PM
crazy! they should throw him in jail for longer than 2 weeks...

sandman
12-09-2003, 03:19 PM
:eek: thas jus scary ppl would do that, he couldve killed himself SO fast if something went wrong :eek:

5.9 R/T
12-09-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23
:eek:

curious to what kind of car hit that speed. I thought everyone in sask drove trucks...musta been a hemi.

Bahaha. Hey mista, you gots a HEMI in them there truck? lol

ZorroAMG
12-09-2003, 04:06 PM
it's not hard to control a car at that speed on a straight, which he had to be on. It IS hard to control once you jerk the wheel by accident though...

Wonder if Benz was driving a bimmer? LOL

Toma
12-09-2003, 04:18 PM
430m to stop from 240k/h?? :rolleyes: Highly unlikely in anything capable of that speed in the first palce.... unless it was a farm truck on purple gas and nitrous ;)

Weasel
12-09-2003, 04:53 PM
What are you guys talking about, my transam hit about 230km/hr-240km/hr on highway 1 while I was running from the cops. The roads out there it is easy to see wayyy ahead of you, I slowed down adn avoided the first set of spike strips and since the RCMP's SUV's top out at 170km/hr and the cruisers top out at 210km/hr it's easy to get wayy ahead of them. I wasn't drunk so they didn't give me any jail time and the maximum they can take your license away for is 18months in Saskatchewan and a seperate Canada wide suspension (yes I have no license anymore)

CelicaST-162
12-09-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Weasel
What are you guys talking about, my transam hit about 230km/hr-240km/hr on highway 1 while I was running from the cops. The roads out there it is easy to see wayyy ahead of you, I slowed down adn avoided the first set of spike strips and since the RCMP's SUV's top out at 170km/hr and the cruisers top out at 210km/hr it's easy to get wayy ahead of them. I wasn't drunk so they didn't give me any jail time and the maximum they can take your license away for is 18months in Saskatchewan and a seperate Canada wide suspension (yes I have no license anymore)

yeah ok there!!

Weasel
12-09-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162

yeah ok there!!

Shocker, you don't believe me. Well if you want I'll meet up with you and show you the two license suspensions and the 1700 in fines. 1000 for dangerouse driving, 700 for evading an officer.

3G
12-09-2003, 05:32 PM

Shocker, you don't believe me. Well if you want I'll meet up with you and show you the two license suspensions and the 1700 in fines. 1000 for dangerouse driving, 700 for evading an officer.

:bullshit: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ryder_23
12-09-2003, 05:43 PM

You sound proud :whocares:

962 kid
12-09-2003, 07:16 PM

http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=3

someone ban this paul walker-to-be

buh_buh
12-09-2003, 07:19 PM
your my hero weasel

/////AMG
12-09-2003, 07:26 PM
Cool last name lol. But he's lucky he didnt kill anyone

hjr
12-09-2003, 07:28 PM
HAHA, you cant go 240 in a Sunfire (edit fr. Cavalier)!!!! HAHAHA :bullshit:

illeagle
12-09-2003, 07:44 PM
aww, take it easy on him... I think if your gonna run from the cops, at least make sure you even have a chance to get away...

Weasel
12-10-2003, 12:40 AM
Who has a cavalier ?
Yea, what I did was immensely stupid and really it's not something I'm proud of. I somehow don't think banning me is going to do much of anything since it was just a stupid stunt. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. My sig says I drive a 98 Sunfire which is the car I have registration adn insurance on. About 4 months ago I bought a 1978 TranAm, great condition, no rust, paint job is still good, T-tops, 400 V-8 with about 235 HP stock. It's still almost stock since I don't drive it but I was having a bad time in life and decided to go on a road trip and take the car that I love to drive. I easily could have gotten away since the cops behind me drove past me while I was filling up with gas and all the other cops in the area were at the second raodblock that I never reached. Got stuck in some snow leaving the gas station and couldn't get out. I got what I deserved and overall the only ass in the entire process was the judge but who am I kidding I dereved to be reamed out by at least one officer of the court.
Not something I would suggest to anyone but spending a night and day in jail was exactly what I needed to get my head on straight. Glad I got caught and didn't gurt anyone. You can believe me or not, doesn't really change the meaning of what I have to say.

ecstasy_civic
12-10-2003, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by roopi

A Saskatchewan man is going to jail after being caught drunk and travelling at speeds topping 240 km-h on a highway near Regina.

On Monday, Provincial Court Judge Ken Bellerose gave Michael Lee Benz, 22, a 14-day jail sentence after he pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and exceeding a blood-alcohol level of .08.

Benz, who works on a farm near Aylesbury, was charged Sept. 7 after his vehicle reached some of the highest speeds heard of in Regina court in recent memory -- peaking at 245 km-h (about 153 mph).

"That's one heck of a high speed," Bellerose said.

It was also well over twice the legal highway limit. On June 1, the speed limit on all twinned highways in Saskatchewan increased from 100 to 110 km-h.

According to Crown prosecutor Kim Jones, at around 11:30 p.m., Benz was spotted heading east on Highway 11 near Lumsden.

A high-speed pursuit ensued, with RCMP clocking Benz travelling between 210 and 215 km-h before backing off from the chase.

"They were still being left clearly behind," said Jones, who didn't say what kind of vehicle Benz was driving.

Two kilometres east of Lumsden, the vehicle ended up briefly in the ditch, before getting back on the highway. Later, Benz's vehicle ended up in a farmer's field and police arrested him. His blood alcohol levels were over the legal limit.

Jones recommended a jail sentence close to the maximum -- six months.

"If somebody had ventured out onto the highway, there'd be virtually no time to stop," Jones said.

Bellerose opted for a jail sentence of two weeks, but also banned Benz from driving for 18 months.

"It's a message to you and everybody else," Bellerose said.

"If they're going to be engaging the police in these horrendous chases, there are going to be consequences."

Benz's lawyer Jeff Deagle said his client knows he did something wrong and is taking responsibility for his actions.

"He simply panicked," Deagle said.

Bellerose said it's a lucky thing nobody was killed.

"People like you who think they can outrun the police are a real danger," Bellerose said. "Quite often, it's innocent people who are victims of people like you."

Source: http://www.canada.com/regina/story.asp?id=9D582673-EDB9-4E32-BE1A-DEDA343F3E5A

Theres a good chance thats my gf's cousins bf lol
Sounds like Jerry Springer, but I know a while back he went to jail for excessive speed while under the influence. Which isnt a big suprise in Lumsden, its gotta be 250 people MAX!!!!! its a super small town with ALOT of older people.
The only thing to do there is drink and race on the highway lol
Its actually the stupidest thing I think ive ever heard of.

Oh. And if by chance it was him, he drives a VERY modded talon.
Ran a low 13.x and its set up for auto X.

roopi
12-10-2003, 08:37 AM
(yes I have no license anymore)

My sig says I drive a 98 Sunfire which is the car I have registration adn insurance on.

So you have registration and insurance on a 98 Sunfire for what reason?

Weasel
12-10-2003, 03:21 PM
Sorry for not explaining, I own two cars. The 98 Sunfire is good on gas, doesn't attract cops, cheaper on insurance, and drives well in winter which is something the TransAm can't do. I have registration and insurance on that car right now since its the middle of winter so driving the TA would be suicide, and I only lost my license 5 days ago.

HillBilly
12-10-2003, 04:23 PM
Fuckin pussy! I have hit 300+ on the same stretch of highway. I guess that means I would have the top speed record if i would have got caught.

ninspeed
12-10-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Toma
430m to stop from 240k/h?? :rolleyes: Highly unlikely in anything capable of that speed in the first palce.... unless it was a farm truck on purple gas and nitrous ;)
I head junkyerdbunyak has troubles stoping some times :D

redec
12-11-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic

Which isnt a big suprise in Lumsden, its gotta be 250 people MAX!!!!!

heh...try 8 times that....2000 people :P

http://www.health.gov.sk.ca/info_center_publications_covpop2002/18930.htm

redec
12-11-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Stealth R/T
Fuckin pussy! I have hit 300+ on the same stretch of highway. I guess that means I would have the top speed record if i would have got caught.

do it again, but get caught this time....you'll be famous :D

HillBilly
12-11-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by redec

do it again, but get caught this time....you'll be famous :D

I might do that! Then idiots can talk about me on car forums!

SaskS14
01-05-2004, 12:46 PM
Sorry for bringing this back from the dead, but the car the guy was driving was a '68 Camaro.

pinoyhero
01-05-2004, 01:00 PM
Holy crap thats fast.

Merkur
01-05-2004, 01:24 PM
Ya that is fast, must of been in a merkur....haha i can only wish

sexualbanana
01-06-2004, 02:27 AM
Kind of sounds asshole-ish, but it's times like that, you almost think people would be better off had he hit someone. Then he'd be absolutely screwed in terms of criminal charges.

But I know it sounds mean, and I am genuinely glad that no one was actually hurt.

rc2002
01-06-2004, 10:07 AM
There are a LOT of nice cars that are capable of those speeds, and I'm sure that a lot more people that we don't hear about that have hit those speeds (or higher).

I'm betting that at least 95% of them don't get caught. The fact that the guy was drunk is probably what put it into the news.

Bruce Chan
01-20-2004, 10:43 AM
240km/h....woo...that was cool !
what car can do that on the highway....what car do u drive?
even though in car test on the machine the car max can go to 317km/h, but usually when it go to 220km/h is very difficult to control on the road.:thumbsup:

T5_X
01-20-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Bruce Chan
240km/h....woo...that was cool !
what car can do that on the highway....what car do u drive?

haha, LOTS of cars will do that. Mine's a fucking brick and it can hit 250.