PDA

View Full Version : How far are parking signs in effect?

seadog
04-27-2010, 09:41 PM
So I came to Calgary and didn't feel like paying dt parking rates, so I drove around places and found one a 25 minute walk away that appeared to have free road parking.

Sure enough when I checked on the car the next day I had a ticket, for violating 2 hour parking. Upon further inspection, there was a 2 hour parking sign roughly 55m in front of the car, and another one roughly 62m behind it. (estimated by pacings) How far do these signs have effect? On the opposite side of the street they were every 10m or so. I think signs should have to be more often than once every 350 feet.

Also, I'm leaving Alberta for good next Monday (just in town to wrap up some stuff with a work transfer). What happens if I just don't pay it? Can't register any cars in Alberta? If one doesn't plan on ever living here again, could i just say fuck it?

eblend
04-27-2010, 09:55 PM
there is a sign in front and at the back of your car.....what's the problem...surely you had to drive the 50 meters to park from either direction to see the signs...ignorance is not an excuse, should have checked.

skandalouz_08
04-27-2010, 10:21 PM
^^^^ What he said.

I don't think you'll have to pay it unless you try to register another car in AB, then you'll be forced to pay it. If they are major dicks they can take it to collections, then you have to pay it as well...

seadog
04-27-2010, 10:42 PM
So you're saying it extends indefinitely? One sign and all of 17th Ave is covered? The fact that I was able to turn onto the street, drive for 200 feet, park, then walk another 100 feet and turn down another street without seeing a sign doesn't come into play? That simply can't be the case because free parking is essentially the absence of a sign, and if you go far enough regardless of the road you'll hit a sign.

Not saying I'm not in the wrong, But on the other side of the street they were every 10m or so, so clearly there's a reason, otherwise you'd just have one sign for the whole street and call it a day. That's what I'm curious about. Exactly what the rule states.

When I was in university (NS), it was all 2 hour parking, but there were 6 spots at the front of this one street with no signs. Those were all day parking. In that case 100 ft of no signs was enough to call it free parking.

FraserB
04-27-2010, 11:51 PM
They will give you a chance to pay, if you dont they tack on a late payment charge. If you still dont pay you get slapped with a warrant. if you get stopped in AB ever again, they arrest your ass.

Antonito
04-28-2010, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by seadog
and another one roughly 62m behind it.

The fact that I was able to turn onto the street, drive for 200 feet......without seeing a sign

Your estimated distaces are shite :poosie:

Anyways, so what you're saying is that for your side of the road no where on the specific block you were on had a 2 hour parking sign?

Dilmah
04-28-2010, 06:22 AM
If you get a ticket and don't pay we'll hunt you down, and if you're from Sask. then we'll cut your paws off too... Pay for parking like everyone else.

scat19
04-28-2010, 08:44 AM
This belongs on parking wars. God people are dumb

Feruk
04-28-2010, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
They will give you a chance to pay, if you dont they tack on a late payment charge. If you still dont pay you get slapped with a warrant. if you get stopped in AB ever again, they arrest your ass.

That is true for a speeding ticket. I'm not sure they'd give you a warrant for a parking ticket... I've had my share of unpaid city parking tickets and the ONLY time it ever came up was when I went to renew my AB registration. Just paid the ticket then; no warrant nonsense.

If you don't plan to register your vehicle here, I don't think you have to pay.

sexualbanana
04-28-2010, 08:57 AM
Most parking signs have arrows depicting the area in which they effect. So in your case, it probably went like this:

"2 hr parking -->" You <2 hour parking>

Plus, if you're downtown on a weekday, there's no such thing as free street parking downtown.

kaput
04-28-2010, 09:00 AM

Mar
04-28-2010, 09:04 AM
I got the same ticket for the same thing in the same place and I'm fighting it for the same reason. Not only was the sign so far down the road but it was turned to face the other way so it would be impossible to see from one side.

beyond_ban
04-28-2010, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by skandalouz_08
^^^^ What he said.

I don't think you'll have to pay it unless you try to register another car in AB, then you'll be forced to pay it. If they are major dicks they can take it to collections, then you have to pay it as well...

The registry does not deal with parking fines. The worst that will happen is that it can (and most likely will) be sent to collections. If you decide to drive in Alberta again, i am pretty sure that this infraction will also show up on the cops screen if he was to run your plate.

EDIT:

Originally posted by Feruk
...the ONLY time it ever came up was when I went to renew my AB registration.

Are you sure? I just renewed my registration with a city of Calgary parking ticket on it. I actually brought the ticket in to the registry with intentions to pay it but the employee said i had to pay it at my bank or downtown at the courts.

spikerS
04-28-2010, 09:38 AM
So I came to Calgary and didn't feel like paying dt parking rates, so I drove around places and found one a 25 minute walk away that appeared to have free road parking.

Sure enough when I checked on the car the next day I had a ticket, for violating 2 hour parking. Upon further inspection, there was a 2 hour parking sign roughly 55m in front of the car, and another one roughly 62m behind it. (estimated by pacings) How far do these signs have effect? On the opposite side of the street they were every 10m or so. I think signs should have to be more often than once every 350 feet.

Also, I'm leaving Alberta for good next Monday (just in town to wrap up some stuff with a work transfer). What happens if I just don't pay it? Can't register any cars in Alberta? If one doesn't plan on ever living here again, could i just say fuck it?

I just can't believe how cheap you are. you drove around looking for free parking, and did a 50 minute walk to save $10, and probably spent another $5 in gas looking for a free parking spot.

:rofl:

Kennyredline
04-28-2010, 09:49 AM
OP, did you check BOTH SIDES of the street for no parking signs?

dexlargo
04-28-2010, 10:04 AM
I'd try fighting it. You can take parking tickets to the First Appearance Crown too. The City prosecutors aren't usually as willing to make deals but I think you've at least got an argument that you did your due diligence. Take some pictures that clearly show the lack of signage, if you can, and bring them in. Be quick about getting the photos, because they might replace missing signs in the meantime.

dexlargo
04-28-2010, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

Are you sure? I just renewed my registration with a city of Calgary parking ticket on it. I actually brought the ticket in to the registry with intentions to pay it but the employee said i had to pay it at my bank or downtown at the courts. Unless something has changed in the last year or two, you can't pay at the Courts, but you can pay at the City Hall cashiers just up those giant escalators next to the council chamber.

beyond_ban
04-28-2010, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by dexlargo
Unless something has changed in the last year or two, you can't pay at the Courts, but you can pay at the City Hall cashiers just up those giant escalators next to the council chamber.

On the ticket it says to visit the courts in order to pay / dispute the ticket :dunno:

dexlargo
04-28-2010, 11:30 AM
It must have changed, then.

I know that I tried to pay a parking ticket at Rocky Mountain Plaza when traffic court was there and was sent over to City Hall. Maybe it changed when they opened the new courthouse. :dunno:

Mar
04-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Kennyredline
OP, did you check BOTH SIDES of the street for no parking signs? Signs only apply on their own side.

And parking tickets can be paid at the registry, I tried to register my car and they wouldn't let me until I paid it.

beyond_ban
04-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Mar
Signs only apply on their own side.

And parking tickets can be paid at the registry, I tried to register my car and they wouldn't let me until I paid it.

What if it is a one way street?

And how long ago was this? I just tried less then a month ago with no luck. City of Calgary parking authority ticket.

seadog
04-28-2010, 09:48 PM
This isn't an ignorance of the law issue. I have no sympathy for that. I was once caught too far from the curb, didn't know that was even a law, but bam, you got me. I was wrong. You win I lose, I was annoyed, but knew I was wrong. Here's your money. I've gambled before in obvious 2 hour spots and lost. Again. I took the chance and the big wheel of life landed against me. I pay those tickets and go on with my life.

This has to do with turning onto a street, seeing no signs for 150 ft, being able to check 10m on both sides of the car for signs once your parked, seeing nothing, then walking ahead of the car turning off on a side street and still seeing no signs. All the while over the same distance on the other side you see 4-5 signs. 4-5 signs on one side over said interval, 0 on the other, but the rules are the same? Nonsense.

Its not reasonable to expect people to drive 5 miles back and forth making sure there's no signs well beyond the visible range of hills and trees in either direction. If a sign reasonably can't be seen from the parking spot, the potential drive to the parking spot, and one better a 10m walk in either direction, I don't think it's valid.

Sadly what I think and what the city thinks are two different things. I'm actually leaning towards saying fuck it. I would, but can't realistically fight this since I've been transferred out of the country and am leaving this weekend. I can't see me ever living in AB again, and if I did it would be many years down the road with a different car/plate.

I'm curious just what they could do. They have the car, my AB address, and my AB phone number. No info tying me to NS, and no info tying me to the US, info such as a phone number or address which simply does not exist yet.

Its not about the money, its about the fact that they didn't play the parking game fair. FYI this wasn't dt, it was probably 3-4 street south of 17th ave in the residential area.

sexualbanana
04-30-2010, 12:25 AM
They have the car, my AB address, and my AB phone number. No info tying me to NS, and no info tying me to the US, info such as a phone number or address which simply does not exist yet.

But they have your license number, which I believe is tied to your birth certificate and/or your passport. So as long as you enter the country, I believe they can still link you. The only question is at what point will they try to collect and how. If you're never planning on registering and/or driving in AB again, it MIGHT not be ever.

On a related note, does anyone know of unpaid parking tickets are an arrestable offense? ie. OP doesn't pay his parking ticket. 10 years down the line he's visiting Calgary and gets pulled over for an illegal lane change. Lo and behold, there's an unpaid ticket from 2010? I also assume this is a City ticket and not impark or any other parking company.

EDIT: I get the feeling they might impound the car. Maybe not arrestable?

FiveFreshFish
04-30-2010, 05:43 PM
So you're saying it extends indefinitely? One sign and all of 17th Ave is covered?

No, the sign only covers the block unless there's a terminating sign before the end of the block.

If there's no terminating sign, then the posted parking policy expires at the end of the block. Of course, you can't ignore implicit parking laws like parking in front of a fire hydrant or too close to an alley entrance, etc.