PDA

View Full Version : Used car registration

2EFNFAST
04-28-2010, 12:53 AM
I know this has been covered 101 times, but my searching skill sucks (will phone insurance tomorrow, but curious now). If you buy a car from somebody and drive it home (say 30kms), how do you handle the registration? I know for the insurance part you just call your insurer and let them know you're picking it up, but what about registration and plating? Do you need to get a temporary intransit permit or something?

Mibz
04-28-2010, 01:10 AM
Bill of sale acts as registration for x amount of time. Get an old plate if you want to avoid possibly getting pulled over for not having one.

2EFNFAST
04-28-2010, 01:12 AM

ExtraSlow
11-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Just an old thread bump. Anyone have a link to this on the Alberta government website?
I remember some thread about this exact topic, but I can't find it.
Insurance is no issue, I can get that in 20 minutes. Just wondering about registry. I can bring my plate from the other, currently registered, vehicle, but does that cover me?

Kloubek
11-15-2010, 08:56 PM
As far as I know, yes. There was some thought at one time you had to have SOLD the plate the vehicle used to be on, but I am fairly confident that is not the case.

Wrinkly
11-15-2010, 10:10 PM
Couldn't find the Government stuff on this (but I have seen it before :banghead:)

I did find this on the AMA web site:

"Can I use the plates from my current vehicle to pick up my new vehicle and drive it home?

You are able to transfer the plates and registration from your current vehicle to the new vehicle within 14 days of the new vehicle purchase. However, if you plan on selling the old vehicle privately, you will need to keep the plates, the registration and the insurance until it is sold. In this case, you will be required to purchase new plates for your new vehicle. It is illegal to switch plates back and forth between vehicles."

Edit: Here's the link I got the above from: http://www.ama.ab.ca/cps/rde/xchg/ama/web/service_9819.htm

ExtraSlow
11-15-2010, 10:47 PM
Nice, that's good enough for me. Insurance it taking the old vehicle, so I can switch the registrations the same day I buy it.