PDA

View Full Version : LF: BROKER to import BMW from USA

NYTRYDR
04-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Anyone know anyone locally (calgary) that will source an 01-06 BMW M3 for me and bring it past the border for a decent price? Process is a little too time consuming for me and would rather pay someone with experience on finding good car's in the US. Thanks.

R154
04-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Basically all the money you would have saved, will be eaten up by the costs of someone else importing it for you. And it really isnt all that difficult. Look 4 threads up at JAYMEZ's thread. It extremely informative and a step by step guide. ...Or you could pay me to do it.

C4S
04-28-2010, 03:35 PM
01-06 M3 price is reasonable low here now anyway ..

01/02 are around $20K-25 (vs 16-20K in US )

03/04, most of them are under $30K, or low 30G if super low km ...

When you are buying that kind of car, don't buy the cheapest one, but but the best value one for you.

Say, many US M3 are in white and red, but how many people in Calgary likes White? Also, many of them with beige or grey interior, and when was last time u see a local M3 with those interior?

If you know someone in US, who is into car, and willing to help you to find one, that is a different story, otherwise, pay a little bit more to buy a Canadian model.

Zephyr
04-28-2010, 03:49 PM
I have a M3 E46 for sale... it's a street driven track car. low milage but it has a salvage title but only because it was an insurance write off due to pricey cosmetic damages. frame is great and so is engine. repainted as well.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/4202138701_bf1649d331.jpghttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2764/4202901122_e39690ac7a.jpg

only been on the track two times. original stock parts can be provided with the car.. California car, babied and great condition.

pm if interested...

Redlyne_mr2
04-29-2010, 03:21 PM
^^^ Cool car

m10-power
04-29-2010, 03:56 PM
Can't bring in salvage titled cars for street use

S2kpwr
04-29-2010, 10:47 PM
To register US BMWs in Canada can cost you a lot of money.

You will need to have a recall clearance letter from Canadian dealerships which cost a couple hundreds and I heard you need to have your cluster replaced.
Also with the ones that have I-drives equipped, you need to have it re-programed as well.

2EFNFAST
04-30-2010, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by m10-power
Can't bring in salvage titled cars for street use

There's a salvaged title viper in the for sale section :burnout:

Shlade
04-30-2010, 12:47 AM
what?

Were?

Our for sale section?

spar7
04-30-2010, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Shlade
what?

Were?

Our for sale section?

I'm guessing this one?

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/299866/fs-1994-red-dodge-viper-rt-10/

2EFNFAST
04-30-2010, 01:30 AM
yep

911fever
04-30-2010, 05:00 PM
can't import salvage cars to Canada. Seriously it's incredibly hard to do that and not worth it.
But importing a car from the US is incredibly easy and all you need to do is in this short summary:

1) find a buy M3 from US with clean carfax and an independent dealer inspection that passes. Either that or buy an M3 and get a BMW dealer to inspect it fully.
2) Get dealer to provide recall letter as part of conditions of the sale (Most will do this for free), also see if you can get Daytime Running Lights installed or activated. Many BMW's have the option to turn it on or off with their ECU computer.
3) Send info of new car coming to Canada-US border 72 hours in advance. Alert insurance company of new car coming onto policy.
4) Cross over onto Canada after paying both GST and PST (err if you're in AB, just pay PST), duty @ 6.1%, and RIV fee of $212..
5) Go to Canadian Tire and pay for out of province inspection (OOP) within 30 days. Take OOP to registry and RIV form to registry, take licensing and drive away.
It sounds hard but it's pretty simple.

spacerz
04-30-2010, 06:20 PM
You can import the salvage vehicles to canada, as long as it is "rebiuldable." You have one year to fix it and get a salvage inspection, which will make it a "rebiult" title car. I'm assuming that because the bmw m3 above is "street" driven, it has a "rebiult" title, meaning it passed the salvage inspection (either here or in the USA).

Don't tell me its hard to do, because I just did it 2 months ago with my 2009 Honda Accord. It is just like importing any other vehicle.

"its not worth it"

^ I beg to differ, I bought my 2009 V6 accord EX-L coupe with 789 miles on it, all fixed, including importation fees, and the salvage inspection fee for 19,000$ CAD. Im glad to have saved aproximatley 20 thousand buying a salvage car, and my car was basically new. Keep in mind, I hand picked it, and was aware of all the damage before it was fixed (all cosmetic, and airbag set). <-- this was 2 months ago.

Kloubek
04-30-2010, 06:34 PM
^^ I'm very interested in what was involved in the salvage inspection. I too have been interested in cheaping out and potentially getting a salvage vehicle.

So... we're talking about a car that WAS salvage, but has since been rebuilt and then re-certified to be on their roads.

How much was the salvage inspection? Who did it? What do they check?

Thanks.

G-ZUS
04-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by spacerz
You can import the salvage vehicles to canada, as long as it is &quot;rebiuldable.&quot; You have one year to fix it and get a salvage inspection, which will make it a &quot;rebiult&quot; title car. I'm assuming that because the bmw m3 above is &quot;street&quot; driven, it has a &quot;rebiult&quot; title, meaning it passed the salvage inspection (either here or in the USA).

Don't tell me its hard to do, because I just did it 2 months ago with my 2009 Honda Accord. It is just like importing any other vehicle.

&quot;its not worth it&quot;

^ I beg to differ, I bought my 2009 V6 accord EX-L coupe with 789 miles on it, all fixed, including importation fees, and the salvage inspection fee for 19,000$ CAD. Im glad to have saved aproximatley 20 thousand buying a salvage car, and my car was basically new. Keep in mind, I hand picked it, and was aware of all the damage before it was fixed (all cosmetic, and airbag set). &lt;-- this was 2 months ago.

My buddy picked up an 08 salvage'd ex-l coupe and got it back on the road for 16 000 all said and done locally

Originally posted by Kloubek
^^ I'm very interested in what was involved in the salvage inspection. I too have been interested in cheaping out and potentially getting a salvage vehicle.

So... we're talking about a car that WAS salvage, but has since been rebuilt and then re-certified to be on their roads.

Thanks.

My brother paid $315 for his salvage inspection a couple months ago with mandatory wheel alignment. This is the guide that tells you what they check.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType41/Production/amltmanualdec2009.pdf

911fever
04-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Sure, at the end of the day you can get it done, but it's a big hassle, especially if it doesn't pass inspection, and if there is issues further on down the road. Plus some salvage vehicles are in just such poor condition that it's not worth the money to import, which was my point.

Originally posted by spacerz
You can import the salvage vehicles to canada, as long as it is &quot;rebiuldable.&quot; You have one year to fix it and get a salvage inspection, which will make it a &quot;rebiult&quot; title car. I'm assuming that because the bmw m3 above is &quot;street&quot; driven, it has a &quot;rebiult&quot; title, meaning it passed the salvage inspection (either here or in the USA).

&quot;its not worth it&quot;

^ I beg to differ, I bought my 2009 V6 accord EX-L coupe with 789 miles on it, all fixed, including importation fees, and the salvage inspection fee for 19,000$ CAD. Im glad to have saved aproximatley 20 thousand buying a salvage car, and my car was basically new. Keep in mind, I hand picked it, and was aware of all the damage before it was fixed (all cosmetic, and airbag set). &lt;-- this was 2 months ago.

spacerz
04-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

Thanks.

Salvage inspections basically require you to fix the vehicle back to original spec (as it was before the accident). They are extremely rigerous, I can pm you a scanned copy of what they check if you would like. Basically everything on your car is checked though, from the windsheild to the brake pads, to the frame, to the wipers etc....

Yes we are talking about a car that was "salvaged" and written off. I had it fixed over in the US because it was cheaper, and way easier to source used parts at a cheap cost.

So you can have the salvage inspection done either here in Canada, or over there in the US. I had mine done over here in Canada. If you get it done in the US, your title will say rebiult, and then you just bring it over do the OPP and OP, and your done and over with.

With my accord I got my OPP, and my salvage inspection basically covered the things checked on an OP so all I needed was the salvage inspection.

My salvage inspection cost me 250$ and alignment (they want a printed sheet with all the specs) cost me 50$.

My car was a fully loaded 2009 V6 Coupe with all options, navigation, bluetooth, and under 1000 miles, it still had the new car smell......Again it was only cosmetic damage, replaced the bumper cover, hood, airbags, and windsheild (from the airbag, i think). No frame damage, it even has the original radiator, and ac condensor lol. There is no way in hell anyone could get a deal like that in Canada.

Again the cars in the US are written off a lot more easily. People pay less so it takes less damage to write it off. Down here people pay more for cars and therfore it takes more damage to get it written off.

I have no regrets with my purchase, and i will be going down to the US this summer again to pick up another salvage vehicle. Looking for something like a G37s, 370z, 350z. As long as you are good with cars and know what you are doing and buying, you should have no problems.

Copart USA is the biggest salvage auction in the US, from east to west. And that is where i bought my car from.

If you need any more info, let me know!

Redlyne_mr2
04-30-2010, 08:22 PM
Warranty is void if the vehicle has a salvage title.

spacerz
04-30-2010, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by 911fever
Sure, at the end of the day you can get it done, but it's a big hassle, especially if it doesn't pass inspection, and if there is issues further on down the road. Plus some salvage vehicles are in just such poor condition that it's not worth the money to import, which was my point.

Lol whatever you say, I saved 20g's and because my car was fixed properly, I know it wont be causing me any problems later on. A new accord costs some where around the mid-40's, buying a 20 thousand dollar salvage car from the US got me an 09 accord V6 EX-L, and with the money i saved, I ll be putting it forward to buy another car, which like I said above will be a G37, 370z etc. I get two cars for the price of one, and I'm happy with it.

Again I disagree, there are tons of cars that are written off for simple things, like a bumper/ couple dents etc (im not joking). Go look on Copart USA.

At the end of the day to each their own. People always say "oh shit I'll never buy a salvage vehicle because of blah blah blah." I saved my money, I fixed my car properly, I amcompletley satisfied with the result, and I will be doing it again in the near future.

EDIT: Werd. the warantee is voided, as it would be with a car that was salvaged in Canada.

EDIT: EDIT: Again, its up to the person whether they want to or not, I'm not saying oh shit everyone should go buy salvage cars etc. Just wanted to post information to open up some doors to people who dont care whether a vehicle is salvaged or not!

Kloubek
05-01-2010, 09:29 AM
ok spacerz... so one final question. Say a car was salvaged in the USA, but then rebuilt and it now has a rebuilt title when you buy it. Does it still require a salvage inspection when it arrives in Canada, or is the fact it was rebuilt and already undergone an inspection in the USA enough?

(For anyone reading this: Just so you know... if a vehicle was involved in flood, you cannot bring it in.... even if it has been inspected and certified to be roadworthy)

spacerz
05-01-2010, 10:41 AM
If it has a rebiult title in the US, you do not need another salvage inspection to have it recertified here in canada. There are three boxes on the importation sheet that say what your vehicle status is: Clean title, Salvage, Rebiult. It will be checked off as a rebiult and thats it. Bring it in get your OP and OPP and your done. So the fact that it was done in the USA is just fine.

Yup, flood vehicles are not allowed to be driven on the road here, same with non-rebiuldable. They can only be brought in as "parts" vehicles and are only to be used as "parts."

Again, I was looking just last month on Copart, and they writ-off a 08 accord V6 Loaded because it was "stripped," all that was missing was the front seats and the rear bench! My uncle down in california went to see it and ended up buying it for 11k :). There was no mechanical or exterior damage!