PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Pixel on D300

INeedBoost
04-28-2010, 01:41 PM
Does anyone know if there is a place in Calgary that can fix a stuck pixel? I have a red pixel that is always showing up on my D300. Pretty annoying since it's near the center.

Thanks,

Mitsu3000gt
04-28-2010, 01:46 PM
If you bought it less than 2 years ago, Nikon will fix it for you. If you process all your pictures anyways, just take the extra 0.01sec to clone it out. If you shoot jpeg all the time I can see how that would be annoying.

Does it show up all the time? Or just under higher ISO and/or long exposures? Typically they only show up under those conditions.

Just about everyone I know has a stuck pixel or 2 on their camera, its very common. If you get it fixed, chances are another one will show up eventually anyways.

EvolizePhoto
04-28-2010, 01:49 PM
If you're selling cheap let me know :)

INeedBoost
04-28-2010, 02:16 PM
I bought used so I don't think warranty will cover.

Usually shows up all the time. More intense at higher ISO. I guess I'll clone them out when processing. It sucks cause i just came back from a trip with tons of pictures and found out I got this stuck pixel early on.

Oh well, good to know it's common and that I didn't screw the camera up somehow. Thanks for the help!

Mitsu3000gt
04-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by INeedBoost
I bought used so I don't think warranty will cover.

Usually shows up all the time. More intense at higher ISO. I guess I'll clone them out when processing. It sucks cause i just came back from a trip with tons of pictures and found out I got this stuck pixel early on.

Oh well, good to know it's common and that I didn't screw the camera up somehow. Thanks for the help!

If its always in the same spot, you can create a Photoshop action to "heal" it out and just run it on all your photos before you go through them one by one. Also if you open RAW images into Photoshop it automatically removes them for you.

AccentAE86
04-29-2010, 09:22 AM
is there a built-in hot pixel mapping procedure on the nikons? I've done it on my canons but would like to know in case I ever need to use it on my nikon setup.

Mitsu3000gt
04-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by AccentAE86
is there a built-in hot pixel mapping procedure on the nikons? I've done it on my canons but would like to know in case I ever need to use it on my nikon setup.

No, I don't believe there is. Its an issue that comes up every now and then, and always something that has surprised me that there is still no easy fix for. The cameras can't map them out, and Nikon's own software (Capture NX) doesn't automatically remove them like ACR does (so, if you use ACR and shoot NEF, you are fine).

The only way I know of to get rid of them is send your camera to Nikon to map them out, which they will do under warranty.

I don't find it to be an issue as I process every single one of my pictures to some degree anyways, so one click of the heal brush is a non-issue. I think that is how most people deal with it if they don't use ACR.

clem24
04-30-2010, 07:55 AM
I have a big blue stuck pixel on my D200. I almost never notice it unless I shoot something with a solid background. I am not picky enough to clone it out hahaha.